First taste of the sky

toto

OK,

We hit midweek again tomorrow and the start of another countdown to the weekend and either elation ..... or disappointment as the case may be at the mercy of the weather. I'm not building my hopes up but refuse to stop my weekly optimistic view on the potential for some stick time .... I can only hang on to hope.

So ..... three potential shed nights to go to allow me to run through the usual pre-weekend checks ... model in general, flight batteries and transmitter / buddy system.

Wish me luck ....... again....... and look out your umberellas .... maybe even your sledge.

Toto

• Like 2

Well .....

I woke up and took one look out of the window ...... and I've had all optimism beaten out of me .... :classic_biggrin: .... it ain't looking good for this weekend.

I'll give my mentor a call later out of courtesy but I think I know the direction that our conversation will be taking. .... No matter ..... I will instead brave the elements of the shed .... regardless of temperature. I'll wrap up and get my wee two kilowatt electric heater on the go. 

I don't think I could face a whole weekend staring at the four walls , the dog ..... or SWMBO and there is the danger that if I don't busy myself ..... SWMBO will.

I now have no less than three models which need to be re- tethered to transmitters in one way or another and the setting of a Reflex system that I need to get my head around...... not quite as exciting as getting a couple of flights in is it.

Cheers for now

Toto

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toto said:

Well .....

I woke up and took one look out of the window ...... and I've had all optimism beaten out of me .... :classic_biggrin: .... it ain't looking good for this weekend.

I'll give my mentor a call later out of courtesy but I think I know the direction that our conversation will be taking. .... No matter ..... I will instead brave the elements of the shed .... regardless of temperature. I'll wrap up and get my wee two kilowatt electric heater on the go. 

I don't think I could face a whole weekend staring at the four walls , the dog ..... or SWMBO and there is the danger that if I don't busy myself ..... SWMBO will.

I now have no less than three models which need to be re- tethered to transmitters in one way or another and the setting of a Reflex system that I need to get my head around...... not quite as exciting as getting a couple of flights in is it.

Cheers for now

Toto

Put your headphones on with your favourite music, crack a can of John Smiths and spend an hour on the Sim connected to a decent size screen in front of the fire.

• Like 2

Well .....

As suspected ... and forecast .... weather is officially crap. :classic_biggrin:

So ... in between some domestics .... it'll be some shed time. I have an undercarriage that I need to reinstall on the supercub and some binding of models to transmitters to do ..... how exciting. ... not.

Still ..... better than decorating I suppose.

Toto

• Like 1

So ..... another week of nothingness as far as flying goes. 

Don't know what the long term weather forecast is for this week and I'm scared to look. :classic_biggrin: nothing special required just dry and little wind would be good. 

Oh well ..... here goes the wait again.

I'll start looking out the decorating brushes for Saturday and Sunday will I :classic_biggrin:

Toto

Hi Grumpy,

I dont use the sim to any great extent to be honest. I find it very hard to get the sky and land orientation. 

I do use it but only for very short bursts, say half an hour or so. I tend to concentrate on take offs and landings.  When I do manage to get the sky / ground balance correct, I find that its very helpful for working on the runway approach alignment element of things.

Toto

I can't remember which sim you've got, Toto, but in mine (Phoenix V6) there is a setting called (iirc) 'keep ground in view'. Maybe yours has it too, or something like it.

For me, that overcomes the issue I think you're describing of effectively getting 'lost' and losing the orientation between the 'plane and the strip / field.

I'm back on the sim now myself, because 1. I've only been able to fly my 'planes once since the beginning of December, due to weather mainly.

And 2. Having reached my 'three score years and ten' I've just bought my first helicopter (a nib but very old Blade 400) and need to practice before committing aviation with it.

What could possibly go wrong?? 😱

Kim

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It will help. You'll possibly need to find an option which shows a zoomed in view of the model as it'll soon get tiny.... a well known Canadian forum can offer all sorts of advice on Real Flight...

Possibly worth a browse on'tinternet and a 'play' on the sim exploring the myriad options. Heater on, JS in hand recommended.

• Like 1

You're not alone Toto - I find even the very best simulators extremely tedious and boring after only a few minutes of messing about......pushing the limit etc. I've had a few goes on the big BMFA sim when it's been at a show and of course it's very good and kids and those looking to have a go love it, but even if I had full access, I reckon I'd soon get tired of it.

However.............without my Phoenix sim I'd never would have  been able to learn helicopters and get my AH without a hell of a lot of bother, expense and busted models. Not saying it went without incident but that's heli flying for you. Shame really, I got so far with helis and have sort of lost interest - the journey was far  more absorbing than the destination if you see what I mean.

I find sims useful when practising specific things to train one's muscle memory, like knife edge loops and knife edge circuits, that sort of thing. 10 minutes of tootling round with a sport model and that's enough for me.

Modern sims are fantastic and a world away from the first rather crude matchstick type display ones that came out like IIRC Aerochopper. Not really a computer games person TBH.

Going to the MCN Motorbike show at Excel this weekend and apparently they're giving goes on this......https://www.mototrainer.it/en/home

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

Ohhhhh man, don't get me started on bikes again. I just sold my Indian Scout Bobber last year committing to that being my last. ..... don't go there. :classic_laugh:

I hope you enjoy the show, the sim certainly looks more exciting than any flying sim that I have seen.

Talking of sims though ..... a little side story ...,., I worked as a QS up in RAF Kinloss where we were installing both a new simulator building for the Nimrod MR4 and an associated software support building. 

At a quiet time during the project our PM managed to get the opportunity for some of the team to try out one of the old simulators. Unfortunately I had a badly time holiday and missed out. ..... devastated.... never mind.

I may be forced to try the sim out this weekend if the flying is off ...... and its looking that way if the weather forecast is to be believed.

Enjoy the show and the sim demo.

Toto

Sorry to harp on again about the value of flight sims, set up correctly with Ground IN View.

Over the decades at my 2 clubs, chaps have arrived at the field, and flown reliably enough to be flying alone, without previous instruction, but had used flight sims to gain knowledge, 5 chaps.

Other able flyers have learned and practiced acrobatics to bring to the field, learned at home.

Just use a flight SIM 10 - 15 minutes a day, to move forward.

Yes ..... Real flight rools OK. :classic_laugh:

I'll be in the shed later tonight and will wind it up. Don't know how long I will last on it though. I will try and ensure I am on ground in view mode if I can find it.

Wish me luck

Toto

Edited by toto
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, toto said:

Yes ..... Real flight rools OK. :classic_laugh:

I'll be in the shed later tonight and will wind it up. Don't know how long I will last on it though. I will try and ensure I am on ground in view mode if I can find it.

Wish me luck

Toto

Was listening to a tribute on the radio today for the magnificent Steve Wright.  I loved his show on Radio 2 which ran for years.  They played a selection of some of his favourite songs which included "Africa" by none other than the pop group Toto which went to the top of the charts in the early 1980s.  

• Like 1