Am I doing the right thing

toto

Mmmmmm ..... just as the title suggests ..... am I doing the right thing.

I started my adventure at the weekend just passed. I visited my local flying club ( which is superb ) and have so far went with everything they have suggested ...... to the letter.

I will be ( for the time being ) a predominantly electric flyer as my two already purchased kit are set up for that with the equipment also purchased.

My club have been phenomenal in taking me under their wing but are learning me on a nitro trainer.does this really matter as the principles etc are all the same with regards to controls etc. Albeit a different start up routine.

I am perfectly happy to use their trainer but just lately, I am purchasing fuel to compensate for the fuel I use ( quite rightly so ) and it's a hassle trying to get the right mix.

Might it be better if I suggest that my own electric carbon cub is built, I let my instructor give it the once over to see he is happy with it, then we just use that. 

1. Its electric

2. No fuel costs

3. It gets me used to my own  model

I'd imagine due to the polarity of the model that it should be bendable to most tx's. He uses Hi tec.

Again, I am delighted to use his but thought I'd just ask. The nitro nature doesn't bother me at all, I like the sound, but the hasstle having to ship fuel in from further afield seems a bit weird. Surely Scotland is that far off the map.

One thing that appeals to me with the current situation ks that my kits are preserved whilst I learn but if there is a benefit from scaring the crap out of it a little earlier, I dont mind. If built, set up and buddied up, it should stand a reasonable chance

Any opinions/ ideas

Toto

Advert

East Yorks isn't that far off the map either, but it's at least a 1hr drive to the 'local' model shop.... per the other thread, buy 4 galls from Weston and delivery is free.

I don't find flying ic and electric very different, mainly the hassle of bringing an ic plane back to the pits if it noses over 🙂

Pros and cons for each approach, but you may feel less nervous flying the club trainer initially as it'll be less 'cherished'. 

Not sure if you're currently using your Spektrum as a 'slave' to your instructors 'master' HiTec, but I think it's necessary for the 'master' to bind to the receiver - so you'd need a HiTec compatible rx in the Carbon Cub.  

Personally, I'd use the ic club trainer until you have a little more experience, then get the Cub sorted and see if your instructor is happy for you to use that.

• Like 2

Sounds like a fair shout.

As I said, I'm not falling over myself to put my own model at risk but as you say, maybe once I am at a certain point, then it may come into p.ay as it will also be good to get used to flying my own machine.

Currently, my mentor provides his own buddy nox set up with two interconnected hitec TX's so another win win. 

I'll look into getting a more efficient fuel solution looked at as so far, that's about the only real downside I can see.

Many thanks for your response kind Sir.

Toto

Having your own plane can have it's advantages, but as you've observed the buddy box system removes some of the stress whilst learning.

Ideally the master and student Tx's would be of the same brand, but if your Tx has the ability to buddy up via a cable it may be possible to use that as the master and another brand as the buddy box, I've used a MPX tx as a student with a Spektrum Dx6i as the master.

I'm not sure if the latest Spektrum tx's still have option to use a buddy box cable as the ones I've used have all had a wireless link.

I have a spektrum NX 6. I believe the spektrum handset supplied with the real flight simulator could maybe be used as a slave unit. It is not a TX as such but could maybe be twinned as a slave.

Anybody any ideas on that ?

I would recommend getting your own trainer. Its yours, you know it and if someone stuffs the club model you arent left without anything to fly. 

Also there is a responsibility to set up and maintain your own equipment and this is all part of the learning process. Might as well get in on the ground floor with your own model. 

Hi Jon,

This also makes sense. I think there are so many conflicting opinions but there again ...... when you post up .... your opening the flood gates. :classic_biggrin:

I am trying to do what suits my club so dont want to force anything onto them just to be told ..... we told you so.:classic_biggrin:

I dont want to necessarily destroy my own model but there again for one .... its gonna happen sometime and if its built correctly, checked over by the more experienced to see it's set up correctly and flown under a buddy box system then I think all the precautions that can be taken, have been taken.

I'm not fussed in as much as am mot itching to have my own model flying. I'm happy that the facility has been provided. But equally, happy enough to take a considered risk.

For now ..... I'm flying.

Toto

Toto, you're just starting out so I'd be inclined to stick with the club trainer for now - your instructor will be very comfortable with it, so that will help him too. They won't be in a hurry to see it destroyed and will do all they can to keep it in one piece.

Get the basics and become familiar with the model - sounds like you have a well organised training scheme at your club, so follow their lead. Plenty of time to do your own thing later.

"I am perfectly happy to use their trainer but just lately, I am purchasing fuel to compensate for the fuel I use ( quite rightly so ) and it's a hassle trying to get the right mix."

Not clear on what you mean - have you actually been asked to supply the fuel or just feel that you should? I suppose different clubs approach things differently.

Edited by Cuban8

I'd be inclined to speak to your mentor about the transition plan to your own model, and how you most appropriately pay your way whilst you're using glow fuel. I'd be inclined to stay on the buddy box and continue to use the equipment you are used to in the short term if a way that suits all can be found. 

Edited by Graham Bowers
improved wording for clarity.

No worries. I'll continue the way things are.

As far as the fuel goes, it's the only real expense there is as the  model  and his time is freely given  The instructor raised the point of the cost of the fuel and I'm quite happy to replenish it. It shouldnt cost him. 

Cheers

Toto

• Like 2

I don't have anything like the experience of the other posters and the whole electric thin is new to me ..... but one thing does come to mind. When you fly electric the batteries can run down fast. At least with an IC model you can land , refuel , and be back on the learning curve in minutes.  If of course you have 4 lipo's at £60 to £100 each , you can relax and enjoy 20 minutes of flight.   I exaggerate , but you get the drift. 

Ken,

As an instructor, I can safely say that in my position I carry a sufficient supply of battery pack to have quite a long day of flying training.

Our club trainers are fitted out to be able to use quite a mixture of packs just in case I exhaust my own stock.

Come summer I will be carrying a leisure battery and charger to recharge my packs at the field.

Horses for courses😃

Toto - as other have suggested, stick to the club trainer for now.

The more you use it - the more familiar with its characteristics you will become and the more comfortable you will be flying it.

Mixing machines will mean you have to remember 2 different sets of characteristics and fly appropriately for the one you are flying. This will delay your training progress.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, toto said:

I have a spektrum NX 6. I believe the spektrum handset supplied with the real flight simulator could maybe be used as a slave unit. It is not a TX as such but could maybe be twinned as a slave.

Anybody any ideas on that ?

No it cannot, the Spektrum Interlink DX controller which can be purchased with Real Flight is basically a USB game controller dressed up up in a transmitter case.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

I would recommend getting your own trainer. Its yours, you know it and if someone stuffs the club model you arent left without anything to fly. 

Also there is a responsibility to set up and maintain your own equipment and this is all part of the learning process. Might as well get in on the ground floor with your own model. 

Exactly what I did, it removed the issue in my mind of lawn darting the club trainer, greatly accelerated my training and learning about all other aspects of our pastime.

Edited by PDB

So, in summary:

Option 1: use club trainer for now; contribute towards running costs; instructor is familiar with it; no emotional attachment

Option 2: use your CC; extra expense to allow you to be buddy-boxed; emotional attachment; limited flight time with existing flight packs (more cost); instructor less familiar with model

Still think Option 1 is the best bet.  Bit like learning to drive - you go to a driving school, get taught on their equipment with dual controls; after a while, maybe you practice on your own car without dual controls.......

But, it's your choice. We can only offer opinions. Your instructor's advice is key.

Option 1 it is. 

It was the original route anyway but as you find out more, it does make you question things. I suppose that's healthy but all points back to the original plan ..... which works.

Cheers

Toto

One advantage of learning with the club or instructor's aircraft/radio is that you don't need to take your own stuff.  I paid for lessons at Goosedale nr Hucknall which is about 20 miles from home. It was 1995 just after I retired and a dry, hot summer so not only did I get a full hour in the air for a fiver (+£5 for day membership) I got a 40 mile bike ride which suited me fine 🙂

If I flew at my club at Hucknall itself I took my own trainer etc but with no buddy lead - it relied on the instructor grabbing my transmitter if I got into serious trouble and landing it until I got more experience.

Of course then, electric was usually confined to powered gliders, NiCads and heavy brushed motors.

Our club have got a Boomerang trainer and converted it to electric.

One of our members looks after it, and charges the batteries etc.

He is Mode 1, but has rigged up his system so the student is on Mode 2.

We always teach on the lead.

Students are encouraged to purchase something that is suitable as a first model, and to also get a second TX and lead so they can learn on their own model as well as the club trainer.

We have found that some  beginners can become to reliant on the club trainer. Turn up, fly, go home.

We try and encourage beginners to start flying their own model as soon as the instructors think they are capable.

Anyway, having a dedicated club trainer (and somebody good enough to look after it), is one of the best things we have done in recent years.