Field box battery ...... advice required

toto

11 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

3S lipo cable tied to the starter (20cc max engines); NiMh glow stick (don't tell Jon but some planes have on-board-glow units..); manual fuel pump.

I'm a heathen and have NEVER put a LiPo into storage - but I use cheap packs and fly year round.

I use onboard glow units for some models where connection can be awkward, but of the type that you push a button [little 2s batt powered] and for 15/20 seconds you have glow to start your motor then goes off and remains off [ this type fine with Jon I recon] 

I like as you just press button, spin prop and away to go. Nothing to connect or disconnect.

PS, also a bit of a heathen with Lipos.

Advert

I used to use a 12v 7amp hr lead acid in my flight box but as i seem to be using it less frequently  of late the batteries quickly suffered. I removed the old battery and soldered a heavy leads to the panel input that has an XT 60 connector. If the box and panrel are need I take a 3s 2p li-ion pack along and plug it in when required. Pack is assembled from cells out of old laptop battery packs or old tool/ drill packs that can be bought cheaply. Usually only one cell has gone down rendering the pack unusable but ideal for cells . They hold charge well, give far better power for starter motors and are much lighter than lead acid or Nimh equivalent. You will need to fit a balance lead etc and charge with a lipo/li-ion charger but most of us have them anyway.  For glow plugs a glow stick is prefered method.

Edited by Engine Doctor

18 hours ago, toto said:

What is the best kind of battery

I don't know about best but, in common with lots of posters above, I use an old LiPo to power my starter and glow. IIRC it's a 3S 4500mAh.

My glow starter is based around an XL4015 regulator as suggested this topic -

12 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

some planes have on-board-glow units

Once the prop size gets to 13", my glow planes get an onboard unit.

Edited by steve too

Hands up who's forgotten to disconnect their glowstick and then proceeded to fly off? Inverted engines can especially catch you out........guilty as charged, I'm afraid - but only the one time to the best of my memory. 😖

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

Never made it to flight but I’ve come close. 

I’ve used the twist lock versions extensively and never had a glow plug come loose. 

I gave up on commercial flight panels after experiencing  - and seeing numerous examples of - circuit failures putting out unregulated 12V onto the glow output (this excludes a number of my clubmates using the wrong output terminals) which invariably costs 2 (and often more) glow plugs before the light dawns.  However, I did build a glow unit utilising a very cheap regulator module and digital volt/amp meter which is useful for monitoring the fuel mixture in the cylinder as well as providing reliable ignition. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Never made it to flight but I’ve come close. 

I’ve used the twist lock versions extensively and never had a glow plug come loose. 

I gave up on commercial flight panels after experiencing  - and seeing numerous examples of - circuit failures putting out unregulated 12V onto the glow output (this excludes a number of my clubmates using the wrong output terminals) which invariably costs 2 (and often more) glow plugs before the light dawns.  However, I did build a glow unit utilising a very cheap regulator module and digital volt/amp meter which is useful for monitoring the fuel mixture in the cylinder as well as providing reliable ignition. 

I too use the twist and lock and starting up my Laser powered Chipmunk as it was warming up a bang then the engine stopped with the prop still turning. fearing the worst, no compression and the prop still in place I thought the crankshaft had snapped. on further examination the glow plug had come out. after that I still use the twist and turn glow stick but check the plug regular for tightness. 

A friend of mine blew two gold plated OS four stoke plugs due to a faulty flight panel, not literally gold but at £15 each  not far off.

I keep my field box as light as possible as I fly all year weather permitting, and now 87 yrs walking across a muddy field carrying a large aeroplane and field box is getting no easier so no flight panel no lead battery,  a glow stick a hand pump, a starter with a 3s 3000 lipo and a few tools and a half gallon of fuel is enough for me. Having said that I only live 3mins drive from the field so it's easy to go home and get another plane or whatever I need. 

Edited by Eric Robson
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

I too use the twist and lock and starting up my Laser powered Chipmunk as it was warming up a bang then the engine stopped with the prop still turning. fearing the worst, no compression and the prop still in place I thought the crankshaft had snapped. on further examination the glow plug had come out. after that I still use the twist and turn glow stick but check the plug regular for tightness. 

A friend of mine blew two gold plated OS four stoke plugs due to a faulty flight panel, not literally gold but at £15 each  not far off.

I keep my field box as light as possible as I fly all year weather permitting, and now 87 yrs walking across a muddy field carrying a large aeroplane and field box is getting no easier so no flight panel no lead battery,  a glow stick a hand pump, a starter with a 3s 3000 lipo and a few tools and a half gallon of fuel is enough for me. Having said that I only live 3mins drive from the field so it's easy to go home and get another plane or whatever I need. 

I haven't used a flight panel for years, but back in the day I used leads and banana plugs to make the connections both to the 12V starter output and 2V glow on the panel. Yes, you know what's coming..............

Probably blew a couple of glowplugs by mixing up the connections - not so bad when plugs were only a couple of quid a time. Hard wired it all in the end. Panel still sits in my flightbox for ornamentation. Had the box for my 40th birthday 26 years ago - nice, sturdy fold up type thing that you can use as a seat when closed. Kit built from 'Somebody or Other' (can't remember) Aviation.