Field box battery ...... advice required

toto

I'm looking at putting a field box together and at the moment I have electric models ..... but I know I will be using nitro as well. I'm looking for a suitable battery for the field box that willpower the pump, glow started if necessary and also a J'EN 4:1 geared starter.

The panel purchased is a Prolux Ultra Panel LCD multifunction w / 5A 1-8 NIMH peak charge.

What is the best kind of battery ..... sealed lead acid ? Or what. It needs to fit in a typical area under the power panel.

If someone can give me the low down with exact technical spec, I would be grateful.

Also .... what type of leads would I require to connect battery to panel.

Many thanks

Toto

Advert

One old, cheap, 3S2000 lipo, strapped to the starter.

Another old, cheap, 3S2000 lipo, running the glow driver and fuel pump.

I can run the starter through the panel if one lipo goes flat.

Ditching the SLA was the best single improvement I made to the field box.

• Like 2

So .... if using a lipo, do you have to discharge if not using for a week or two.

I suppose I could also strap a lipo to the started to keep that separate from the panel. More flexible I suppose and means I dont have to lug the whole box up onto the field starter bench.

Choices choices. 

What was the gripe with the lead acid battery. Was it purely weight or are there any other disadvantages ?

Cheers toto

I always used to use sealed 12V gel batteries, but go for a reasonably sized 3S Lipo now. Easier to charge and a hell of a lot lighter. Don't leave it in your flightbox when not in use and make sure you can easily and quickly disconnect and remove it in case of an emergency (usual lipo safety advice) - also, make sure you don't over-discharge it, little likelihood but easy to forget if you do a lot of flying or have a recalcitrant engine when it comes to starting!

Plenty of lipo discharge voltage alarms on Ebay for three or four quid or so.

Edited by Cuban8

I've got a 12v/9A battery in my field box but it is a bit heavy when also loaded with 1/2 gallon of fuel. (12 stone weakling!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231568304738?var=530806014137

Because of the weight I would certainly consider a 4s Lipo now.

But I've gone for a manual fuel pump :-

https://www.rapidrcmodels.com/jp-deluxe-hand-fuel-pump-5183-p.asp

I've had an electric pump but it did give problems now and again.

and a 1 x cell Ni-mh plug - similar to:-

https://www.rapidrcmodels.com/glo-start-clip-s-2400mah-nimh--charger-3pin-5793-p.asp

The drawback to these is if the plug is hidden.

I have other connectors which run of the panel on my box.

P.S. I run my starters off the 12v battery but again I would consider a LiPo on the starter.

I've seen 2 version.

1 - LiPo fixed/taped to the starter.

2 - The LiPo seoerate from the starter but connected via the starter cable using clips.

Edited by John Wagg

Be careful of a 4S lipo, some starters might be rated for over 12V but I know for sure that my Pro-lux example isn't. Electric  fuel pumps are posh but i've never had one that didn't leak after a short time or simply just burn out. Bought a Dave Brown Six-Shooter hand pump twenty years ago, possibly more, and never had to  open it up - still on the original rubber tube.. Don't think they're available now, sadly.

Edited by Cuban8

13 minutes ago, John Wagg said:

and a 1 x cell Ni-mh plug - similar to:-

I did have a glow stick, but the battery has died. I just reverted to using the panel again. I might pick up another stick, they're more convenient than a big cable. Safety? Jury's out. Glow sticks can wobble a bit when they're on the motor.

1 minute ago, Cuban8 said:

Electric  fuel pumps are posh but i've never had one that didn't leak after a short time or simply just burn out

Mine is quite old now, but I do run it with a 6V (ish) supply, maybe that helps.

It's one of these:

https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/prolux-6-12v-electric-fuel-pump-25807

A 12volt 6 amp Sealed Lead acid battery is cheaper now than a 3S2200 Lipo and has other uses - it can start your car if it's battery is low ( after holidays etc or just old ) it can be used on my lawnmower or to start someone elses car in emergency.   But it's real advantage is that it can recharge your Lipos at the field - several recharges of the 3S2200 seems practical.   So a cheaper , more useful option that is probably a bit safer than a Lipo.

3 minutes ago, kc said:

A 12volt 6 amp Sealed Lead acid battery is cheaper now than a 3S2200 Lipo and has other uses - it can start your car if it's battery is low ( after holidays etc or just old ) it can be used on my lawnmower or to start someone elses car in emergency.   But it's real advantage is that it can recharge your Lipos at the field - several recharges of the 3S2200 seems practical.   So a cheaper , more useful option that is probably a bit safer than a Lipo.

I've seen someone jump start their car at Old Warden when they left their car lights on from a Lipo..................lipo or small sealed lead acid, you're pushing your luck using them for a car jump start. Depends how flat the main battery is, I suppose.

Carry a small lipo in my motorbike's topbox to power the miniature, but very effective tyre airpump I have. Easier than faffing about with taking the seat off and getting to the awkwardly placed main battery.

Just to be completely different i use a small 10cell nimh for my field box as this is man enough for the fuel pump, glow drive (when i need it) and my small starter for small engines (50 4 stroke or smaller). I then have a 6s lipo for my big daddy 6.5:1 geared starter used for all my big lump engines. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nigel R said:

I did have a glow stick, but the battery has died. I just reverted to using the panel again. I might pick up another stick, they're more convenient than a big cable. Safety? Jury's out. Glow sticks can wobble a bit when they're on the motor.

I've been using https://www.nexusmodels.co.uk/j-perkins-micro-glo-start-1800mah-nimh-4444530.html which twist and lock onto the glow plug, rock solid and easy to remove.

Edited by PDB
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Andy J said:

Would not recommend the twist and lock glow battery devices as it has a tendency to unscrew the glow plug. Result was a lost glowplug during flight.

I would never use one of those they were developed for nitro cars, I did see a couple( both types with the battery on the end )  go into the prop when started, d,,, frightening,,,🤢

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon