Cheaper Batteries

Looking to buy some 4S batteries, capacity in the 2600-3000 mAh range, with current demand in the 40-60A range.

I have been looking at the cheaper end of the market and typically finding manufacturers that I have no experience with - some examples of what I have been looking at

Overlander 4S 2900mAh 35C

GNB 4S 2800mAh 100C

VANT 4S 2600mAh 50C

Now I take the C rating with a huge pinch of salt - 100C would mean a sustainable discharge current of 280A and I simply don’t believe that the battery, the wiring, the XT60 connector nor any attached electronics could handle that.  But I ignore that because what I need is a C-rating of 23.

But are there any other advantages of having ‘high-C’ batteries.

Then we come to manufacturer, I clearly don’t want a battery that is going to puff up or die within a short time.  I have experience with Overlander so am comfortable with those but they are significantly more expensive than the GNB and VANT so if they are just as good I’d like to save some money, or buy 4 batteries rather than 3.

Edited by Nigel Heather

In theory, the higher the C rating the lower the internal resistance and so the higher the voltage on load. That should give you better performance at whatever load you chose to run. In practice of course, marketing has a lot to do with claimed C ratings. I regularly take up to 200A for short runs from 1500mAh packs, but the wiring etc. survives because the runs are only a couple of seconds.

I am presently using 6s 3000 GNB 100C packs in a large glider and they seem quite happy in the 65 - 70A range for the 25 to 30 second motor runs I am using (I get 3 climbs per flight).

Probably just me, but I have never had a lot of luck with packs from Overlander.

Dick

• Like 2

I have found that 4-Max are the best choice in the long run. They cost more but perform very well and if you have a problem you have professional service from a top UK company. 

Some of the cheaper ones I've tried have a very poor performance from new, just not worth the risk. Whatever you do don't by Youme!!!!

Edited by Masher
Added a bit
  • Like 2

Just looked at Zeee batteries - unfortunately they don’t do anything in the capacity range that I’m after.  According to their website they do a 2200 and a 3300 but nothing in between.  The 3300 is a good price but it’s a heavier option than I would like.

4-Max do a 2600 but as you say they are at the pricier end.

Still looking at HRB, found them on Amazon along with some other very cheap brands but I’d like to find a RC model shop selling them.

Overlander and 4Max don't actually manufacture their batteries from raw materials, I suspect, so what makes them better than any others that come from the Chinese factories and are badged to suit? Reassuringly expensive?

Just wondering.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cuban8 said:

Overlander and 4Max don't actually manufacture their batteries from raw materials, I suspect, so what makes them better than any others that come from the Chinese factories and are badged to suit? Reassuringly expensive?

Just wondering.

One thing I want to avoid is having to solder on XT60 connectors - don’t get me wrong, I am very confident and comfortable doing that, I just want to avoid the situation where I fit the desired connector, find the battery is no good and then be told by the shop that the warranty is void because I’ve amended the battery.

Edited by Nigel Heather

22 minutes ago, Nigel Heather said:

One thing I want to avoid is having to solder on XT60 connectors - don’t get me wrong, I am very confident and comfortable doing that, I just want to avoid the situation where I fit the desired connector, find the battery is no good and then be told by the shop that the warranty is void because I’ve amended the battery.

4-max are supplied with a balance connector, but with no power connector. You have to solder on your own. I don't owna any by the way, it's on the web page.

2 hours ago, Graham Bowers said:

4-max are supplied with a balance connector, but with no power connector. You have to solder on your own. I don't owna any by the way, it's on the web page.

Yes I know that and happy with that.  Just a little nervous of, and not saying that 4-Max would behave this way, of soldering on a connector, finding something wrong with the battery and then having to prove that I did not damage it when soldering.

2 hours ago, Nigel Heather said:

Yes I know that and happy with that.  Just a little nervous of, and not saying that 4-Max would behave this way, of soldering on a connector, finding something wrong with the battery and then having to prove that I did not damage it when soldering.

Unless a user short circuits the battery and ruins it when fitting a connector (difficult to prove unless the thing blows up) I'd expect any supplier to give the customer the benefit of any doubt. Not a brilliant idea to supply batts without a connector unless that is what the customer wants anyway IMHO, even if a small charge is made to cover the minimal cost of the supplier doing it.

• Like 1

On 19/04/2023 at 12:20, J D 8 said:

Have a look at "Zeeebattery.com". I have found them good in my EDF where its flat out most of the time. These are 3s 50c but 120c available in 4s.

Thanks, I ordered two 4S 3300 packs today.

Great price on them (and within the EU, so no taxes). Free shipping as well.

• Like 1

Have found both HRB and ZEE Power to be very good and with excellent customer service. I had one pack with a cell that was unbalanced on arrival, relative to the others and that was fully refunded, no questions asked -in contrast to a similar situation with Motion RC EU, where I had to take pictures of the meter readings, then cycle the pack five times. Best of all, as they come with Amazon Prime, it's essentially free next day delivery if ordered before 7pm, even at the weekend.

Regarding Overlander, I only fly electric models and slope soarers, I don't have a barge, so don't currently have a suitable barge-pole to hand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Take a look at ONBO batteries.  The UK distributor is Stephen Spittle - https://stephensrcmodelling.com/onbo-batteries/

I'm using six packs of 2 x 5S for F3A aerobatics and I'm pleased with their performance.  My oldest pack has done 50 cycles but it shows no sign of puffing.  I've seen ONBOs with 200+ cycles with no puffing.  These are 4800 mAh packs 25-35C rated but I usually only draw around 80-85 amps for short periods.  Still, subject to the same duty cycle, all my HK sourced packs showed signs of puffing from soon after 20 cycles.  A few didn't last beyond 50 cycles before I retired them.

Initial acquisition cost is only half the story.  The other half is how long they last and how well they maintain their internal resistance within reasonable bounds allied to how hot they get.  The ONBOs I'm using are likely to end up costing me a lot less per flight in due course than the cheaper brands.

I bought a few Zeee packs off Amazon a couple of years ago for my little Hawk - they were cheap as chips and have been excellent.

My brother in law used to work in a food factory, making some chicken concoction.  I asked him who for and he reeled off a dozen retailers - some 'premium' and some 'low end'.  I then asked how they separated and differentiated the food, and he replied they didn't, the only difference being the packaging.

I suspect the same applies to Chinese battery manufacturing factories....... 

I don't pay for 'premium' packs, but I don't really push them very hard so maybe any difference in quality is lost on me anyway.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

I bought a few Zeee packs off Amazon a couple of years ago for my little Hawk - they were cheap as chips and have been excellent.

I don't pay for 'premium' packs, but I don't really push them very hard so maybe any difference in quality is lost on me anyway.

I like the Zeee website.  Looks like they have a UK warehouse which means there should be no nasty import surprises - by contrast, HRB seem to be sent from China.

The problem (and I guess it’s my problem) is that Zeee don’t make a capacity in the range I’m looking for - around the 3000mAh.

I’m looking for 4S batteries for two projects, a Max Flight Ruckus and a 47” fun fly (Bill’s Kits Big Fun).  I want a compromise of keeping the weight down but getting a decent flight time.

The fun fly needs to be as light as possible, which might suggest a 1500 but I don’t want to end up with 2 minutes flying time.

2200 packs might be the way to go but I’m still worried that flight times might be on the low side.  I think that 3300 packs are two heavy and large.  In my search I found the Overlander 2900 pack which is compact and quite light but they are also about £15 more expensive than the competition.  GNB do a 2800 which is only a smidge larger and heavier than the Overlander but nearly £15 cheaper, so that is my favourite at the moment, but none in stock at the moment.

Zeee look very interesting but jump from 2200 to 3300.

HRB are likely not sent direct from China - as I said, I've ordered HRB batteries from Amazon and they come direct next day, even on Sundays.

I had two of those Overlander 3s1p 2900mah packs which came in a second hand model. One was very puffy and went straight to the recycling and the other is going there on the next trip to the tip. The model didn't have many flights on it.

Edited by leccyflyer
Typo
  • Like 1

On 19/04/2023 at 12:26, Cuban8 said:

Just wondering.

Hi Cuban8,

I can't directly comment, but as my job is to manage 'private label' products, many of which come from the FE, I have a bit of possible insight.

You are correct, there are only so many factories actually manufacturing. The difference (in my case, and I suspect also George's at 4Max) is that a UK company not only spends time to select those factories with the better manufacturing practices, but also provides a UK 'buffer' where they are prepared to put their own good name on the line. Anyone can buy either directly from China, or indirectly from sourcing or trading companies, but there is SIGNIFICANT added value in using companies prepared to put their own name on a product. We all have a choice, but don't think Branded products are simply cheap chinese junk with a new label; there's a lot more to it than that, and advantages to the customer.

Graham

• Like 1