Would this lot be worth-while getting?

Advert

Old 35mhz gear, old 8 cell NiCd and NiMh packs, a mixture of two stroke and four stroke engines and mostly tired looking airframes, though not complete wrecks. The 35mhz gear has no real value to it, in practice. Some things in there worth having, if you fly IC models, but nothing to really set the pulse racing. The £1,000 is the starting bid and it hasn't attracted any.

1 hour ago, Don Fry said:

Nowhere near. Old obsolete engines, indifferent smallish airframes, and a load of old bits. Perhaps, job lot, £250.

I think this assessment might be a little harsh Don. The models, for the most part, seem to be decent enough. Pristine? no, but not total junk. The cub and pup look tidy, the chipmunks look alright, and although they have been uglied by their engine install they would be fine for a 2nd model after a trainer for someone. 

I do agree though that the pile of batteries are completely useless at this point and although that FF9 radio would be great for me personally as it can replace my aging example, most of the 35meg gear is not much cop. 

Working it out in my head i think i can get to about £650 - £700 as a value for the lot, al least to me and for what i think some of the models are worth. a grand is hard sell for sure, but as its too far for me to drive and collect i wont be loosing too much sleep over it 🙂

• Like 1

Only someone who deals in s/h model stuff likely interested in the whole lot and would only want to pay something like Don's suggestion and possibly make Jon's value.

Last year I cleared out our club store shed and posted the solution of what to do with old models here. There were comments like I could have repaired that and so on but the fact remains they were unwanted by any club member or anyone we knew and of little value to go to the effort of selling.

SAM_1829.JPG

12 minutes ago, J D 8 said:

Only someone who deals in s/h model stuff likely interested in the whole lot and would only want to pay something like Don's suggestion and possibly make Jon's value.

Last year I cleared out our club store shed and posted the solution of what to do with old models here. There were comments like I could have repaired that and so on but the fact remains they were unwanted by any club member or anyone we knew and of little value to go to the effort of selling.

SAM_1829.JPG

So you decided to pollute the air rather than recycling,,,,🤢

• Like 1

I have the sad and rather depressing task of disposing of a long time flying buddie's modelling effects after he died suddenly a few weeks ago.  I've made a start by selling one item on BMFA today for really very little, but I know he'd not want to see his stuff wind up straight in the skip if left to his family members who wouldn't have a clue as to what is and isn't worth anything.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of his gear, accumulated over many decades, is really quite worthless - the usual detritus of 'baccy tins of this and that, racks of screws and odds and ends that would take an age to sort through, ancient battery chargers that have been hoarded, scraps of covering etc etc- and that if we're honest, I bet we all keep hidden away ourselves |to some extent.  All that stuff will will have to wait for the house clearance people.

Maybe a tenner or so for old 35 meg trannies that have seen better days and then if you can find someone who wants such old tech. One really good 6S electric aerobatic model that I knew he never plucked up courage to fly after I maidened it - maybe worth a hundred and fifty quid or so when I can fix/replace a stripped servo and a couple of nice but unexciting others that are also ready to go at about fifty quid each - they should sell OK.

A box full of engines that have seen better days - a Saito 80 being the most interesting although looking a bit tired now. Yes, a ruddy MDS anchor weight in there as well. Not sure whether to sell them individually for a few quid each or let them go as a job lot Pick 'n' Mix style lucky dip. Probably cost more to post them than what they'd fetch TBH

Horrible having to pick over someone's belongings after over 40 years of friendship and a shared delight in our great hobby.

On 25/04/2023 at 10:20, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

So you decided to pollute the air rather than recycling,,,,🤢

• Like 2

I put stuff free on Gumtree-collection only- stuff which I would advertise on one of the free re-cycling sites if I knew what they were- an excellent 22 inch TV, laptop cases, laptop chargers, PC desks, TV stand, hedge trimmer, voltage meter, etc- stuff which works and will save people a few bob, and which will only deteriorate if I store them in the garage. I've got a box of prop blades, clevises, ESCs, etc, which I will never use- if they don't go after a few weeks on Gumtree I then feel less guilty about them going to the tip.

2 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

I have the sad and rather depressing task of disposing of a long time flying buddie's modelling effects after he died suddenly a few weeks ago.  I've made a start by selling one item on BMFA today for really very little, but I know he'd not want to see his stuff wind up straight in the skip if left to his family members who wouldn't have a clue as to what is and isn't worth anything.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of his gear, accumulated over many decades, is really quite worthless - the usual detritus of 'baccy tins of this and that, racks of screws and odds and ends that would take an age to sort through, ancient battery chargers that have been hoarded, scraps of covering etc etc- and that if we're honest, I bet we all keep hidden away ourselves |to some extent.  All that stuff will will have to wait for the house clearance people.

Maybe a tenner or so for old 35 meg trannies that have seen better days and then if you can find someone who wants such old tech. One really good 6S electric aerobatic model that I knew he never plucked up courage to fly after I maidened it - maybe worth a hundred and fifty quid or so when I can fix/replace a stripped servo and a couple of nice but unexciting others that are also ready to go at about fifty quid each - they should sell OK.

A box full of engines that have seen better days - a Saito 80 being the most interesting although looking a bit tired now. Yes, a ruddy MDS anchor weight in there as well. Not sure whether to sell them individually for a few quid each or let them go as a job lot Pick 'n' Mix style lucky dip. Probably cost more to post them than what they'd fetch TBH

Horrible having to pick over someone's belongings after over 40 years of friendship and a shared delight in our great hobby.

We have had to go through this procedure on far to many occasions. Raking through a friends lifetime of modelling gear is depressing to say the least. We are lucky enough to have a club mobile home, and a few years ago converted one of the bedrooms into a "Club Shop". A committee member looks after it, and it has been a really successful means of disposing of unwanted modelling gear. Valuable items are priced to sell, with all other items purchased on an honesty box basis. Funds raised either go into club funds or back to the family. We generally take everything, including the tins of nuts and bolts, and they all gradually disappear. We have also held club auctions, table top sales etc. In all cases the relevant families are pleased that all the modelling "stuff" is going to club members who are actually going to put it to good use. Sad times though.

• Like 3

On 25/04/2023 at 11:08, J D 8 said:

SAM_1829.JPG

I am in a similar situation. My club has a page on a well-known social network. About 75 people have access to it. I put up a post offering a number of airframes for free, another, a DSM Aerostar, sound but needing a little tidying, for 25€, a couple of unstarted kits and a number of old but serviceable engines. One of the free models has been taken off my hands and there is some interest in one of the kits and that's it. Looks like I'll have to restore the others myself or consign them to the same fate as JD8's models.

I'm puzzled by the choice to burn models, even unwanted models or complete wrecks. There's all sort of salvageable stuff in even the most unloved model at the end of it's life. Hopefully the linkages, motor mounts, wheels, undercarriage fittings and sundry other removable items were all salvaged beforehand.  In many cases there will be perfectly usable balsa and ply in the airframes as well.

• Like 1

I am also not a fan of the bonfire method for disposing of models. Mostly this is because i have, on several occasions, seen this done at the field. The model gets crashed, and even if it is not that badly damaged they just set it on fire. I have even seen foamy models burnt servos n all with only the rx recovered from the wreckage. They then leave the burnt remains on the field with no thought about clearing up the mess. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

I'm puzzled by the choice to burn models, even unwanted models or complete wrecks. There's all sort of salvageable stuff in even the most unloved model at the end of it's life. Hopefully the linkages, motor mounts, wheels, undercarriage fittings and sundry other removable items were all salvaged beforehand.  In many cases there will be perfectly usable balsa and ply in the airframes as well.

It's a difficult one, and no real right or wrong way to approach things. Depends on one's mindset to a great extent, I suppose. Hoarder or dumper?  Some stuff does have to go, otherwise one will wind up like like the poor devils you see on TV with their houses completely solid with junk.

I have racks of accessories that haven't been used in thirty years - you know the sort of thing, bits that came with kits that never got used, servos that I'd put away and simply forgot about and are now by modern standards, very old hat. And then there's my old 35 Meg gear - why on earth am I keeping that?

Might be a home for such stuff somewhere, but if so, I have a feeling it'll just be simply put away in another set of racks or drawers for another thirty years by someone else.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

I donated a couple of my rubbish flyers, the last was my Cap Mosquito, revamped and now hanging in the local aeroplane club,,,

Here it is on the workbench getting ready for it's new life.

Mosquito 1.JPG

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon

There is one of our club members who crashes frequently, one was a new Ruckus balsa version which snapped the fuselage in two first flight with a bad landing. Before leaving the field he ordered a new one, when asked what he had done with the crashed one he said I have binned it. The chap who asked said I'll give you £10 for it, when he picked it up apart from the fuselage every thing else was as new, it was repaired in an evening and flying the next day. I have had 3 of his not badly damaged planes .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

Not to worry leccyflyer, all usable items as above were salvaged into my store, even a couple of good servos.

Some bits have found their way into a wreaked then badly mended WOT4 I am fixing up. The nose had been put back together with a hot glue gun and was almost as twisted as Chesterfield's famous church spire.

wot 2.JPG

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

I am also not a fan of the bonfire method for disposing of models. Mostly this is because i have, on several occasions, seen this done at the field. The model gets crashed, and even if it is not that badly damaged they just set it on fire. I have even seen foamy models burnt servos n all with only the rx recovered from the wreckage. They then leave the burnt remains on the field with no thought about clearing up the mess. 

Fortunately I have a wood-burning stove at home!