Come on Weston Park !!!!!

Never been to Western Park Model show .So though I would go this year  that was untill I went to buy a ticket

Online ticket

£18 +80p booking fee+90p admin fee

That us basicly ,£20 for a online ticket .£23 for on the day 

The following weekend is Wings and Wheels £13 online ticket .No booking fee or admin fee just £13

Sorry Western Park you are to greedy .I be going to Wings and Wheels instead 

• Like 3

Advert

1 hour ago, Shaun Walsh said:

Perhaps the price difference reflects the cost to Weston Park of arranging the full size air display part of the show?

Maybe but I go to see model aircraft and Wing and Wheels is basically £10 cheaper !!!!

If I want to see full size I will go to an airshow at Duxford 

• Like 2

This idea of 'Booking fees' and 'Admin Fees' are a con that seem to be catching on all over.  If they are not optional then they should be included in the ticket price.  I see that some car sales are including admin fees now.  Its a while since I bought a new car but I'm sure that my own admin fees will be equal to theirs so we can either forget them or I shall be walking out of the door!

• Like 3

We did both Weston Park and Wings and Wheels last year and camped at them.  £95.00 for Weston Park and iirc £40 for Wings and Wheels.  We did get a full sized airshow  at W&W too as the B17 landed there because of cross winds at Duxford and it took off again the next day.  Weston still has a lot going for it as my wife can visit the house and gardens while I am away looking at aircraft and it has Helifest too, but for the last couple of years no model cars and only limited boats.  Neither show offers much in the way of bargains and the trade has reduced significantly but I like W&W and on a smaller scale Woodspring as there are some different traders there.

I really miss the nationals at Barkston Heath though as that really was a modellers show.

• Like 1

Fact of life now........cheap days at big events are history. We all became used to getting into major model shows for a tenner or less back in the day, but it'd be impossible to charge so little now and make the show viable, to say nothing of turning a profit., I've seen the best of the best at most of the national big shows from Sandown, Wings and Wheels, and many others -  for me what's on offer now is not what I want to see and often hear (Wings and Wheels). Just my preference, of course.

TBH, the only ones I'd bother with now would be LMA shows, but they are a tad thin on the ground within a reasonable journey from East Anglia. Hopefully the hiatus with Cosford is only temporary. The last show there that we attended a few years back was superb - no screaming commentator, no huge biplanes being prop hung (hanged?) etc etc. Sadly I rather fear that the Nats as we knew and loved them at Barkston will be no more - very happy to be proved wrong of course.

BTW, I'm not a tight wad....if I want to do something, within reason, I'll go for it. Cost me £150 for two Sunday Grandstand seats at the upcoming World Superbikes round at Donington in a few weeks time.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

The Camping fees are also Riduclous we want to go Saturday arrive around 10am and enjoy the day then stay for the Fireworks/Night flying but that means a 3 hour drive home starting around 11pm?!!  Not paying over 100 pounds and the toilets were terrible last time we went, ankle deep in who knows what and pitch black too.

Having just seen the weather reports its looking grey and damp again but that wont put us off though.

The first time they opened on the Friday (several years ago) it was crepe.  Half the stands not arrived or just not open.  Still paid full price.  I hope they've got their act together as Friday is the only day my 'posse' can make it this year.

Have the Fridays got any better in the meantime?

4 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

BTW, I'm not a tight wad....if I want to do something, within reason, I'll go for it. Cost me £150 for two Sunday Grandstand seats at the upcoming World Superbikes round at Donington in a few weeks time.

£150 to see Lowes in the kitty litter and Rea 7th,😅 you can get a 3 day Pass at Barcelona  for £70 and see Zarko in the kitty litter and Quatararo 15th,,,🤣

I went to the 70th Patrouille de France, 10am to 18h non stop but no Lancaster or Hurricane for 21€ a real bargain,,,

1 hour ago, Mike T said:

The first time they opened on the Friday (several years ago) it was crepe.  Half the stands not arrived or just not open.  Still paid full price.  I hope they've got their act together as Friday is the only day my 'posse' can make it this year.

Have the Fridays got any better in the meantime?

Yes, I've been every Friday since they made the event 3 days. It has improved year on year & is pretty much now complete on opening on Friday. Much less crowded than the weekend which is a big plus for me. No full size but a complete model display program. The exhibitors & display pilots start rolling in on Thursday.

Trade list here:

https://www.airshowinternational.co.uk/index.php/what-s-on/trade-list-2023

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Zflyer said:

Is there reduced trade this year or are we judging by last year ?

I think the days of a lot of traders attending the model shows are long gone since the covid .Trader realised they do not been to attend these model shows anymore. Nearly everyone since covid now gets there bits and bobs online now .So why fork out all the cost of traveling to these shows when most people buy online now .Maybe if the show organiser where to drop the fee for traders to attend these shows .They might return 

7 minutes ago, Rocker said:

.Maybe if the show organiser where to drop the fee for traders to attend these shows .They might return 

No chance, even Free !, I used to do the Avignon faire the last being in 1995, even free it ended up as a wash-out, we also had the 'Arles" extravaganza,

dead and buried for the last 20 years, there isn't any money in model stands any more, everyone is on their 'smart' phones getting a couple of pennies off somewhere,,,🤢

6 minutes ago, Rocker said:

I think the days of a lot of traders attending the model shows are long gone since the covid .Trader realised they do not been to attend these model shows anymore. Nearly everyone since covid now gets there bits and bobs online now .So why fork out all the cost of traveling to these shows when most people buy online now .Maybe if the show organiser where to drop the fee for traders to attend these shows .They might return 

This is true but many, myself included, who on the run-up to show season keep a list of bits to pick up from multiple traders attending to keep the risk and cost of postage down. (Saving on postage technically pays for the day out!)  It's also nice to actually speak to the traders behind the web shops that we use. I  that with the demise of hobbyking et al and the increased level of service from the remaining UK hobby shops, trade stands will increase again, albeit with out the deals that used to be had. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

No chance, even Free !, I used to do the Avignon faire the last being in 1995, even free it ended up as a wash-out, we also had the 'Arles" extravaganza,

dead and buried for the last 20 years, there isn't any money in model stands any more, everyone is on their 'smart' phones getting a couple of pennies off somewhere,,,🤢

I totally agree with you.People will buy online to save a few pennies a then moan when their local model shop closes down. I recently wanted a certain model and could of brought it a bit cheaper online but chose to pay a bit more and brought the model from my local model shop to support him 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

£150 to see Lowes in the kitty litter and Rea 7th,😅 you can get a 3 day Pass at Barcelona  for £70 and see Zarko in the kitty litter and Quatararo 15th,,,🤣

I went to the 70th Patrouille de France, 10am to 18h non stop but no Lancaster or Hurricane for 21€ a real bargain,,,

I guess it is what it is £ wise. Worth it for Toprak and Bautista alone IMHO.  Not a Rae fan myself, a great rider, but just can't warm to the bloke and his shenanigans. Tickets are only £40 for entrance but I didn't fancy messing about with carrying chairs around this year, so went for a seat this time. An amazing festival of speed, noise, colour and camararderie that you only find in the motorcycle world. Now all we need is the English summer to cooperate.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Rocker said:

I totally agree with you.People will buy online to save a few pennies a then moan when their local model shop closes down. I recently wanted a certain model and could of brought it a bit cheaper online but chose to pay a bit more and brought the model from my local model shop to support him 

The market has changed and we knew that smaller, local model shops were going to struggle even twenty years or more ago. A lot of them didn't help themselves by offering indifferent service and being totally uncompetetive with their pricing - hardly the odd few coppers here and there, but often many tens of pounds on larger items like radios, kits and engines compared to the bigger shops advertising in the mags and with the addition of postage charges. My DX8G2 was a full sixty pounds dearer in my local shop than that being charged by Inwood - Inwood got my business.

Some shops of whatever size, were and continue to be excellent in the service that they offer - those that didn't or still refuse to raise their game have gone or will go soon. I don't miss the demise of my local shop that closed last year - he was expensive and  didn't embrace mail order or web sales to anywhere near the extent that he should have. Just not enough walk in customers to keep going, and even with Aeromodelling and a Model Car club in the area. A nice enough older guy but out of his time. I suppose the shop will finish up as another fast food joint.

We really do have some excellent model shops offering a first class and reliable mail order service. Not just for big stuff as well. Leeds Model Shop recently posted me a £6 steerable tail wheel that I received next working day, and all for a £1.99 P&P charge. I get my fuel from them as well - well priced and only a tenner for the courier. I suppose I consider them to be my local shop now.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Rocker said:

They were long gone well before Covid! I'm not sure I have seen a truly well attended trade area since the early noughties, though I've only been to a 3 or 4 shows (plus the Nats occasionally) since 2010.

it's hard to believe that we really did have such enormous trade shows back in the 80s and 90s. The first Sandown that I attended filled every floor from the basement (model engineering) up to the top where IIRC, they had slot car racing. Not forgetting control line in the parade ring outside.

The crowds were packed and it was often impossible to get near the traders' counters until things thinned out later in the day.  Loads of cottage industry firms producing all sorts of products as well as the big distributors. A few display slots, Hanno Prettner and others, but mainly manufacturers demonstrating their wares for all to see throughout the day. Concorde (the real aircraft) taking off in the distance.

First time most of us had witnessed a model Gas Turbine. Memory is a bit sketchy now, but I think they took it off from the hardstanding behind the race track,  but I do recall that the huge crowd went quite silent so as to hear the turbine sound rather than the far from authentic  IC ducted fan racket normally associated with jet models. Piles of empty boxes dumped in the carpark where people had overdone the buying and couldn't get all their stuff in their cars with the packaging in place.  I guess the show hit it's peak around the late 80s and gradually faded away over the next decade or so. Hard to remember now. All ancient history even to today's forty years olds.

A shame younger folks will never experience it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Control line in the parade ring! 🙂  It was still fairly packed in the early 2000s, but back in the day you had major distributors and manufacturers exhibiting on the top floor as well as the 'cottage industry' types in the basement.  Latterly, it became a competition between the big retailers to see who could sell you a Futaba 148 the cheapest!

• Haha 1

Weston Park model air show, 4 -14 olds £6 entrance fee !!!! get real money grabbers, when did you see a 4 - 14 year old roll up for the event on their own??? supermarkets stopped selling sweets at the check out because of the pester power of the kids, if a young person wants to put down their mobile or virtual play game and take up flying Weston your doing a great job of not stimulating the hobby and market, stopped going about five years ago as it's the same old same old, food vendors eye watering prices and the trade line is getting smaller, sign of the times I'm afraid