Stinger 10cc RE by Zhejiang RCGF Model Co Ltd

toto

Just taken delivery of one of the above to house in my10cc Valiant.

Can anyone feed back on their experiences with these engines.

1. Was there any installation issues ?

2. How easy were they to get up and running ?

3. How good / reliable have they been in service ?

Any other general comments ...... good or bad .

Many thanks.

Toto

Advert

Paul,

I'll get a photo up asap if it helps.

I bought it from Kings Lynn models so when you say ..... copy ..... I would hope buying it from a reputable dealer would translate to ..... genuine. 

Dale ..... just what I wanted to hear ..... :classic_biggrin:

It has electronic ignition which I like the idea of. How much better are these over a mechanical fire up ?

Cheers

Toto

Hi Paul,

as requested ..... some photos ( maybe not Lord Snowdon quality ) 😄 

P1100821.thumb.JPG.95a667da7e6345d109fceeb4a93910ca.JPG

P1100822.thumb.JPG.097db8bc2e9bdaf2a96707a15f809e2c.JPG

P1100823.thumb.JPG.048d87eb030f88e76bf73edade876b7a.JPG

P1100824.thumb.JPG.97ccabffcb4a1ca0a3a43703cf3f7a32.JPG

P1100826.thumb.JPG.b100b11be3584c240fa4828c00c7863d.JPG

P1100827.thumb.JPG.193969bc683992d60303734b0e6c7104.JPG

P1100825.thumb.JPG.31a6fcdbd9a239190979bb69de5d7e36.JPG

I hope that sort of helps.

All done in a bit of a rush but if there is any specific parts that you would like to view in more detail / better quality ........ shout out.

cheers

toto

Toto, if it is new  from Kings Lynn models it should be the latest version. I have a 15cc and a30cc twin, both run well with good starting and very economical especially with the price of petrol coming down. Downside is they are noisy and the rear carb makes them longer than 2 stroke engines of a similar power. I have found choke is required for starting so a method of operating it  needs to be arranged. I did buy some restrictors to fit in the exhaust but they didn't make much difference and did not justify the cost. Having said that I am happy with mine, much less messy than glow. I use pump petrol and synthetic 2stroke oil. Some use Aspin odourless ready mix fuel but it is very expensive. 

Thanks very much Eric.

Sounds like I'm off to a good start at least.

I have a mixture of glow and petrol now albeit not ready for their use in models yet. Ideally, I would like to progress with petrol when not flying electric but do have homes for the glows that I have.

Going forward though, when not using electric, my plan would be to phase glow out where possible.

Toto

• Like 1

Thanks Toto, I can't find the news story on the 'stinger' saga, I remember that the real Rcgf engines did have serial numbers engraved on the crankcase, but I also saw that they had red anodized prop drivers on them, I wouldn't worry too much as long as you set up the carb pop up pressure and get some earplugs and an electric starter you will be ok.

I forgot they vibrate like,,,,,

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon

Yup. Echo the above.

I have that engine in my Wot4.

Upside - easy to start; reliable, powerful, frugal, relatively clean

Downside - noisy (both in volume and, in my view, tone), quite a lot of vibration so don't skimp on foam insulation for electronics, and make sure you get good glue joints.

Install is easy, and I think the Valiant comes with a suitable mount. You may need to replace the fuel tubing (can't remember if H9 supply petrol friendly stuff).

Don't understand your comment re electronic ignition..... that unit just provides a spark to ignite the fuel, at the right time.  You'll still need a way of starting it.... I use an electric starter powered by an old 4S Lipo.  It always needs a spin with the choke on for its first start of the day, or when it's stone cold.

Edited by GrumpyGnome

Hi Grumpy Gnome,

I was under the impression that it was some kind of a remote start from the transmitter, ie, no human intervention on the model physically. ....... more naivety on my behalf ..... :classic_biggrin: with a good dollop of wishful thinking. ..... I'll get over it. :classic_biggrin:

Apart from that ....all reports are positive. I wear hearing aids so I can deal with the noise ..... dont know about anyone else ..... :classic_biggrin:

Toto

16 minutes ago, toto said:

I was under the impression that it was some kind of a remote start from the transmitter, ie, no human intervention on the model physically. .......

You can get remote starting systems but it'd add complexity, weight, and cost.  Looks cool though.

Re noise, if you do have a noise sensitive site, or have regulations re volume of sound, I suspect that little petrol engine will fail the test.  Unfortunately, a decent muffler for a petrol engine is quite expensive.......

The 10 cc will be well down on power compared to a 10 cc glow. I had the RCGF 15 cc a whole back snd while it was easy to start and ran very well it was down on power compared to any 91 glow engine and very noisy. Yes the are cleaner and petrol is cheaper than glow fuel but thats all the advantages really. Also the small units are heavier when you add on the CDI unit and battery.

Generally petrol engines dont come into thier own until you get to 30 cc plus although the DLE 20  is a nice engine gives a reasonable power output but still very noisy.

The supplied silencers  with any chinese units really dont silence , just point exhaust  away from model. A decent silencer will probably cost as much if not more than the engine cost new.

• Like 2

Don't own any RCGF but clubmates use them without issues, re the noise and power, if anyone tells you noise became an issue only once petrols came on the scene they're telling porkies, plenty 2 stroke glow will fail the noise meter as will 4 strokes, remedy is same as it ever was, manage throttle, choose prop well and silence as best you can. Power wise they're pretty good these days, will a 10cc petrol match a good glow of same size ? No, nor will a 4 stroke so what point is being made ? Engines across the range have plusses and negatives.

It’s not just the noise meter they fail on, it’s the harshness in the engine note that causes a problem. Unfortunately no matter what tests we, as modellers, carry out it is the opinion of your neighbours that determines a ‘nuisance’. Our site has no ‘noise limitations’ as such but we have had complaints about noise and that was when an electric F3a model was flying! We are now much more noise sensitive which has resulted in most 2 stroke gassers no longer being flown.

Sorry John I cant agree with you about petrol engines and noise . Yes noise has always been an issue with any IC engines from unsilenced engines in the early days and continues today with housing development ever encroaching into the countryside . I dont think anyone is telling porkies .

But Petrol engines especially two strokes are very noisy compared to most others types

Most modern Glow engines come with a muffler that do to some extent quieten the exhaust and with careful prop choice can greatly reduce noise .

Secondly the mufflers that are supplied with most two stroke petrol engines are thin flimsy alloy units that don't silence in any way but just direct the exhaust away from the model  and are generally not fit for purpose.

Two stroke petrol engine exhaust is at a lower harsher  frequency and usually still burning expanding when it leaves the cylinder and accordingly at a higher temp than glow exhaust and noisier . A decent petrol exhaust like a Krumschied will likely cost as much as the engine but they do work very well .

The latest trend for petrol engines has reignited  the noise issue due to the rubbish silencers built for a few pence from rubbish materials to make the purchase look more enticing. Then buyers use them risking flying sites !i Wonder if they would be as popular if like many bigger engines they were supplied with no exhaust system ?

So the point being made is that  petrol power is not all its cracked up to be and to be aware of its pros and cons etc . 

Not trying to put the OP off but letting him know what to expect.

Edited by Engine Doctor
  • Like 3

Our site is in the middle of nowhere. There is a village " down the road " but there doesn't appear to be any issues.

There are no restrictions that I am aware of, the only thing they state is no jets due to local forrestation and fire risk ..... I think.

There are already some petrol heads in the club as well but I dont know what they use.

Toto

Edited by toto

1 minute ago, toto said:

Our site is in the middle of nowhere. There is a village " down the road " but there doesn't appear to be any issues.

There are no restrictions that I am aware of, the only thing they state is no jets due to local forrestation and fire risk ..... I think.

There are already some petrol heads in the club as well but I dont know what they use.

Toto

That fine , Enjoy 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toto said:

Toto

That's the attitude that looses flying sites. Your village "down the road" might be out of earshot but people do venture out into the countryside and come across the noise you are making. The BMFA do have noise limits for a good reason and our club sticks to them by noise testing. Please don't loose any more flying sites and annoy other people and use a decent silencer. 

Hi Outrunner,

No offence or in consideration intended to the villagers. They actually attend open days and local village committees contribute to the clubs charitable status. We have a very good relationship. No flying before 10.00 am is the only restriction that I am WRe of and that is rigorously enforced.

I should have made that clear.

Toto