1979 RCM&E home-build 35MHz RC system

Advert

The articles were run from May to August 1979. I have scanned copies of the magazines, each of which have a file size of about 60mb. I'll drop you an email which will enable you download them from icloud for 30 days- they are too big to send as attachments.

Meanwhile here is a copy of the Tx circuit diagram:

image.thumb.png.4fb53bab57a9c47d7a857d75dee1e244.png

PS I've asked the mods to delete you email address rather than leave it on public view for the spammers to harvest!

Edited by John Lee
PS added

Back in the 1960 when RCM&E was in a smaller format they included plans for a small tx that fitted into a tobacco tin . Does anyone remember this ? I built one but had very limited sucsess and range . I tried it with model boats  but still range was a problem . 

There were some excellent projects in the mag back then due to the high price of comercially produced items. 

Brilliant radio system. I have still got mine and have been meaning to fly with it again. Way ahead of its time with 8 channels,mixing of any two channels, rates,reversal,throw and end point adjustment, battery alarm roll buttons and many more features. How many other radios had all this in 1979

There was a myth that the receiver was wide open to interference due to lack of front end tuning. I flew mine on split channels at the peak of the CB boom initially 27 MHz and later on 35. Never had a glitch. Probably had more use than any other radio I have ever owned

How did the RCM&E system get around the tighter frequency spread requirements when 35MHz was introduced? Everything had to be type approved then, with a yellow label attached to the tx case.

I built a couple of Micron systems in the very early eighties, the PL-7D and the later RCM version that was featured in Radio Modeller at the time. I still have them, and all of the building sheets etc. The later one also had rate switches and channel mixing. Servo reversing was achieved by reversing the plugs of the joystick pots where they connected to the encoder board.

For 35MHz use, Micron sold the RF transmit board as a pre-built and pre-aligned item, so it was correctly tuned and complied with the regulations, with guaranteed 10kHz spacing. A yellow self-adhesive ‘type approved’ label was included to be stuck on the tx case.

There was no such requirement with the receivers, as misalignment would only affect the user, not anyone else.

If required, these txs would be easily converted for 2.4GHz use, using one of the FrSky hack modules or similar.

A50240B0-C2FB-4E16-B947-BF20E8F32219.thumb.jpeg.7507ebafa319b84aa46f6ba7f47ef4e3.jpeg

Brian.

• Like 1

Thanks John,

That’s very interesting. I see one of the approved agents was Modelgear in Leeds. I used to buy servo kits from them. They used the SLM mechanics.

Although not practical nowadays, building your own radio and servos did give a good insight into how everything worked, and was cost-effective when compared to the commercial brands.

Brian.

Quite agree Brian.

I dabbled with home built gear in my youth, then my first ‘modern’ radio was a Waltron 4-5. I could only afford 2 servos initially and added Modelgear ones from kits as the pennies permitted. I’ve still got a retract servo that I built back then but I can’t see that it will ever see a model again!

13 hours ago, Engine Doctor said:

Back in the 1960 when RCM&E was in a smaller format they included plans for a small tx that fitted into a tobacco tin . Does anyone remember this ? I built one but had very limited sucsess and range . I tried it with model boats  but still range was a problem . 

There were some excellent projects in the mag back then due to the high price of comercially produced items. 

Engine Doctor, Do you mean this one on page 376 RCM&E December 1960

Edited by Robin Colbourne

10 hours ago, Robin Colbourne said:

Engine Doctor, Do you mean this one on page 376 RCM&E December 1960

Hi Robin . No not the one. It was designed to fit into a tobacco tin , 4 oz tin I believe. If my memory is correct  It had 2 or 4 push buttons on the front and battery was a PP3 9v .  It was i think o er a couple of editions an had a section on making the PCB using Ferric Chloride thst you could easily buy from the local chemist. You could also buy Ether easily for making diesel fuel for oyr engines. 

Exciting times then as there was always a parts list and a local radio shop near Clapham Junction in Falcon Road where you could buy parts although pockey money in those days meant a long build time. 

Thanks for looking. E.D.

• Like 1

Glad to see there are other oldies still interested in these old designs. I now have all the original data plus the update article for 35MHz so I'm planning to convert a couple of old RCM&E receivers to 40MHz for some old boats for my grandson - already have a couple of old 40MHz Tx. Much more interesting than just sticking in modern 2.4GHz stuff and being a Yorkshireman I can save a bit o'brass too! 🙂  Many thanks John for the articles. Tony

For anyone less confident with the RF side, tuning and set up, you can use commercial 35Mhz modules such as the Hitec HPF-Mi or Jamara, with a bit of sleuthing these modules can be found new in their original packaging and usually supplied with a crystal.  Many conversions have been done this way, my own 27Mhz KO DigiAce for example is converted to 35 using a Hitec module.  All they need is a 3 wire connection, power, ground & PPM - plus of course the aerial !   (a Hitec Optic-6 aerial is the same length as the DigiAce 27)

Many options, this is one of the easiest 🙂

Cheers - Phil

Edited by Phil Green