De Havilland Rapide 113" freebie.

Cliff Bastow

The previous owner said he thought it was tail heavy but it seems ok to me. To me it appeared to stall on take off. The damage includes broken top to the fin, bent u/c legs and damage to both wheel pants and worst of all one of the wing fixings is badly bent.

Talking to the previous owner he stated that he had tried to fly it on two 4s connected together to give an 8s power set up which is what he had been told by the person he bought it off. However on inspection I can find no connection between the two batteries so it is actually running on 4s. I do not know if the previous owner misunderstood the builder or if he was misled.

Having talked to George at 4 Max he thought it was underpowered on 4 s with the fitted motors and esc and recommended a 5 s set up. This would seem to back up my theory that it stalled on take off.

2 hours ago, Cliff Bastow said:

I have been gifted this by a club member who damaged it on its maiden and could not be bothered to repair it!

The white areas are where I have started repairs.

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0050.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0057.JPG

Wow, that’s a beautiful model and a very generous clubmate; can I be his best friend, pretty please?!!

The mystery deepens with this model! The guy who gave it to me said that the person he bought it off stated it had never flown but was maiden ready.

However looking into the damage to the wing mounting I found clear evidence it had been repaired before, patches in underside wing skins and you can see where one of the wing tubes has been repaired by fitting a sleeve over it!

8FF6D254-50E0-4E9B-A8BA-69C146E7D3F1.jpeg

5A7CBB19-37D2-4AFA-8402-C4F9F29B1645.jpeg

43DA902B-6664-48BB-A803-F02D25DA5836.jpeg

AA88CB9F-C3B1-4CA7-B369-B6B12425968C.jpeg

My first thought on this was also an enlarged version of the Martin Tuck or Jerry Bates (Sweitzer) plans, but the top wings split in a different place to both of those, so unlikely. I am part way through building the MT version and the construction is different to the model in the photos.

Yes perhaps a version of the Richard Crapp model, I remember seeing that at Old Warden, probably back in the nineties. Richard's was to 1/4 scale though, so bigger than this one (about 144").

Good luck with the repairs / refurbishment.

Brian.

Fitted  arc and flight battery tonight to try a few things. I had no elevator or rudder although I could hear servos working. Peering inside through the door I could just see that the servos complete with rails floating about loose! 
I don’t know if this happened in the arrival! Or if it was the cause!

There is no real access into the rear fuselage so I am going to have to cut into the underside and make a hatch. 
it looks as if the hard wood servo rails were just superglued to balsa fuselage side rails, not good!

Cliff, I feel for you, I’ve also suffered from attacks of dreams, and sorting them out. 
Brutal fix, what is its G rating. Assemble it, and load it with 4G? If it breaks, saves time. If it survives, and a eyeball says it’s straight, it’s a huge winner potentially. And then has to be worth a few quid to potentially be cock of the flight line.