Walbro carb to fit a Zenoah 26 UK supplier?

Ran my G260 OPU for the first time today, this was a used engine bought second hand and it is having difficulty starting, when i do it more often than not it dies after a few seconds. I did manage to get one long run out of it and tuned it for high and low running. Once stopped it wouldn`t restart again even on a starter with out flooding it with the choke and finger over the carb and then it required a long go on the starter before a short burst and quitting again. The fuel pipe is full of fuel but it doesn`t seem to pull it in by itself, i have had the top off the carb and the filter is clean and the two `flaps` appear ok. Just Engines have said best route is a new Walbro but they are out of stock with no date given for re supply, anyone know of another supply in the UK? Was hoping to be flying this next week but short of robbing the carb off my sweet running G23 things are looking doubtful..........      

You should have 3 pipes Martin feed fill and vent which on a glow engine goes to the silencer for pressure unless it's a Laser Jon recommends a forward facing vent. If there is only 2 pipes make sure the tank is not stopped off as it needs  to breath if it can't the fuel will not flow. 

May have sorted the issue, pulled the plug and the gap was quite a bit too small, i had already had to alter the hi and lo screws quite a bit from what it arrived with. I have also found it starts in a completely different way to my KALT 23, there is no choke on that so finger over the carb, suck the fuel in till it floods, 3 flicks and away it goes. Numerous tries and i pretty much know how to start this 26 now, choke closed and finger over carb trumpet, suck the fuel in till it`s dripping, spin it over with starter with choke closed throttle set at 40%, sometimes it will cough but not always. Open choke and spin it on starter till it catches, worked each time i tried it over several hours. It tries to go on a flick but not enough to keep running, i am wondering if the mag air gap needs re setting, when i used to fly petrols about 20 years ago my flying buddy always did the tuning and he always checked and adjusted the air gap and they all started great. The engine now carries on running once started using the above technique, sounds great with excellent throttle response. 

19 hours ago, Philip Ogden said:

Hi, I can't promise anything but these people , TSH Garden Machinery | Repairs and Maintenance in Bury Greater Manchester (tshgm.co.uk) are usually very helpful.

As above - try garden machinery/chainsaw repairers in your area - they always seem to have odds and ends of carbs lying around so they may have what you want (although in my experience, they won't give it away!)

19 minutes ago, Mike T said:

I was happy with the price I paid - it's what was available at the time.  E10 is pretty much ubiquitous in the UK now, for (supposedly) environmental reasons.  I suppose they do things differently in foreign parts... 🙂

No, my Japanese Yamaha and Italian Aprilia states, NO E10 in the fuel tank, both built for the Eu ( sorry you aren't there anymore ) .

E5 is readily available in most parts of the UK unless you get your fuel at a supermarket - and it's a maximum so usually a lot less.  Until recently there was no ethanol in Esso's premium fuel in most areas although I believe they may be starting to add some.

Apart from some possible mixture problems on simple carburetted engines, the major problems with ethanol are its affinity for water - it absorbs atmospheric water which can easily cause rust to form above the fuel level in steel tanks and its effects on rubber parts such as fuel lines and diaphragms.  Hopefully modern Walbro repair kits contain ethanol resistant components.  There are stabiliser additives available which form a barrier on the petrol's top surface to limit the water problems and give the fuel a life of up to a year rather than a few weeks.

Interestingly and possibly of interest for the small amounts we use in models, removing ethanol from petrol can be done by adding water and shaking well - then letting the mixture stand and draining off the water from the bottom of a suitable container.  Not something to be tried in a confined space and needs to be done by a competent person keeping well away from any possible ignition source!

Adding ethanol is i believe just a way of making extra cash for the oil companies. They add the ethanol and put the price up ! Your mpg goes way down so they sell more fuel ! Its a win win for them . For my mower , garden tools and my model petrol engines i remove the ethanol with the dyed water method as mentioned in previous post. Fuel lasts much longer and doesnt corode the carbs or ruin the plastic fuel tubes or primer bulbs . While Aspen is a clean ready to go alternative its price is a touch high and the main reason why a lot of fliers moved away from glow fuel in the first place .

If you try removibg the ethanol as Martin says do it in an open space use only plastic or non sparking containersoh and no smoking . I kid you not i have seen drivers filling their cars with a fag in thier mouth ! Trying to win a Darwin award ?

If your not happy removing the ethanol then Dont try it. 

As for service kits they are available on ebay etc for a lot less than £13 . That should buy3 or 4 kits even with the latest price increases .

The replacement service kits are IMO just as good as a labeled walbro item at a fraction of cost or have I just been luck ?  My CRRC Pro powered Eurobat stood for 18 months from last use and has a chinese service carb kit fitted. It started after two flicks and ran perfectly . The last run was on ethanol free fuel and run dry at end of day then stored . 

Edited by Engine Doctor

It's not a win for the oil.companies at all they would prefer to sell you what they produce, ethanol is derived from crops, it's government mandated as it's deemed less environmentally damaging as the CO2 released on burning is reabsorbed when the crops are growing.

BTW got an old Kalt 23cc with a WT 705, fired up when petrol was squirted down the carb but wouldn't pump fuel,  got a kit from garden equipment spares ebay shop for £4.25p will be servicing the carb next week, wish me luck!