CAA Proposes 8.3% increase in Operator Registration Fee from April 2024

GaryW

Just read this on BMFA Website

The CAA have launched a consultation on their Charges Scheme for 2024/25, with the proposed changes due to come into effect on the 1 April, 2024.

The CAA proposals include a general 5.3% increase with an additional 3% being used to support innovation, which in combination will take the Operator Registration fee (currently £10.33) to £11.19.  Thanks to the input from members last year, the policy for rounding increases to the next full pound has been replaced by a rounding to the next full penny for any fees below a £20 threshold.  Members may be interested to note that without the intervention of the BMFA and its members over recent years, the fee would now be at £22 rather than the £11.19 proposed.

The CAA say that they “welcome comments on all aspects of the proposals, including the charge structures and the level of the charges”, so if Members would like to have a say directly, then please follow this link: https://consultations.caa.co.uk/finance/uk-caa-scheme-of-charges-24-25/.  The closing date for responses is the 15th January 2024.

https://bmfa.org/caa-proposes-8-3-increase-in-operator-registration-fee-from-april-2024

Edited by GaryWebb

Advert

12 minutes ago, ken anderson. said:

what do i/we get from paying into the CAA pot?

ken anderson....ne...1...what do i get dept.

We get the registration requirement we need & satisfaction to know & show we are operating/flying our models 100% legitimately and legally with Operator & Flier Id's

it's that simple It's a NO BRAINER !!!!!

Edited by GaryWebb
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RottenRow said:

An opportunity that we had for 98 years before somebody decided to charge us for it…

Brian.

Indeed that is the case. However, there was no stopping it, the advance in technology which is already leading to a busier airspace was always going to mean there would be some impact on us. Thankfully it has been quite minimal thanks to a lot of hard work over many years.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Andy Symons - BMFA said:

Indeed that is the case. However, there was no stopping it, the advance in technology which is already leading to a busier airspace was always going to mean there would be some impact on us. Thankfully it has been quite minimal thanks to a lot of hard work over many years.

On top of that all those wally brains that flew wrongly/illegally causing so much trouble including the airport issues seen in recent years which also helped ... Like i also mentioned in another thread that I agree with and fully support Remote Id which the CAA are expecting to come into play in Jan 2028 i also agree and fully support the need for Operator & Flier ID/Registration

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GaryWebb said:

On top of that all those wally brains that flew wrongly/illegally causing so much trouble including the airport issues seen in recent years which also helped ... Like i also mentioned in another thread that I agree with and fully support Remote Id which the CAA are expecting to come into play in Jan 2028 i also agree and fully support the need for Operator & Flier ID/Registration

Very little to do with a small minority flying wrongly/illegally, or any airport issues in my personal opinion, changes were coming before any of that just so  a busier airspace can continue to be shared safely. If anything is to blame it is simply the march of technology. The task for the BMFA is to continue to fight to keep the affect on our activities to a minimum. Something that we have had some success with so far.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GaryWebb said:

How exactly does any of the current and proposed legislation, and us paying for that privilege, prevent the “wally brains” from doing exactly what they want to?

Brian.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, RottenRow said:

How exactly does any of the current and proposed legislation, and us paying for that privilege, prevent the “wally brains” from doing exactly what they want to?

Brian.

That's exactly what things like  Operator/Flier ID/Registration and Remote ID will help to stop... Only other option is to out right ban ALL Rc Flying outside of a Rc Flying Club just like banning Guns outside of a Gun Club

Edited by GaryWebb

1 minute ago, GaryWebb said:

That's exactly what things like  Operator/Flier ID/Registration and Remote Id will help to stop... Only other option is to out right ban ALL Rc Flying outside of a Rc Flying Club just like banning Guns outside of a Gun Club

Counter to that Gary is "Who is gonna police it" ?

I'm with others, it ain't about a group of wrong doers, it's about taking control of airspace for reasons which are obvious.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

Counter to that Gary is "Who is gonna police it" ?

I'm with others, it ain't about a group of wrong doers, it's about taking control of airspace for reasons which are obvious.

I don't disagree with you at all there John  and however insignificant it may be.... the wrong doers do still play a part in the reason we have the laws & rules we have today 

2 minutes ago, GaryWebb said:

I don't disagree with you at all there John  and however insignificant it may be.... the wrong doers do still play a part in the reason we have the laws & rules we have today 

Well it was used to push the agenda forward by the media, but that's par for the course. Create an enemy works everytime.

• Like 3

Reminds me of a time some years ago when our water board decided that those of us on a private water supply should have to pay water rates like everyone else! And even have meters installed.

Yea right we said, and what service will you provide for this payment we asked. Would you plumb in and maintain the pipework to our property's?  Answer Err no. How about sewerage disposal? we asked. Err no. What service would you provide then ?  Answer Don't know.

Go sling your hook was a kinder reply they got.

So question I have is what service are we model flyers paying the CAA for?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J D 8 said:

Reminds me of a time some years ago when our water board decided that those of us on a private water supply should have to pay water rates like everyone else! And even have meters installed.

Yea right we said, and what service will you provide for this payment we asked. Would you plumb in and maintain the pipework to our property's?  Answer Err no. How about sewerage disposal? we asked. Err no. What service would you provide then ?  Answer Don't know.

You know as well as everyone else why we now pay a fee, do you think you're unique in resenting it ?

9 minutes ago, J D 8 said:

When it comes to water meters.. I would sooner have a water meter than not have one that way I'm only paying for what i actually use rather than paying for someone to only guess what I'm using plus its far cheaper having a meter,,, on unmetered the bills were £500+ every 6 months now they are around £150-160 every 6 months... Another one of those everyday life No Brainers I say

On 25/11/2023 at 17:17, Andy Symons - BMFA said:

The opportunity to fly lawfully.

My question would be “what do I get from this ‘innovation’s.

What is this ‘innovation’.

And don’t say to fly lawfully, because I was getting that before and that is increasing by 5.3% - I get that prices increase but very suspicious about the extra 3% on top for a vague and undefined ‘innovation’.

If I were to guess

CAA - we want to increase by 8.3%

Government auditor - sorry price increases capped to 5.3%

CAA - okay, how about if we increase by 5.3% and we bung on an extra 3% for ‘innovation’

Government auditor - what’s this innovation

CAA - it’s innovation

Government auditor - oh go on then, as long as it is not a price increase

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nigel Heather said:

My question would be “what do I get from this innovation".

What is this ‘innovation’.

And don’t say to fly lawfully, because I was getting that before and that is increasing by 5.3% - I get that prices increase but very suspicious about the extra 3% on top for a vague and undefined ‘innovation’.

If I were to guess

CAA - we want to increase by 8.3%

Government auditor - sorry price increases capped to 5.3%

CAA - okay, how about if we increase by 5.3% and we bung on an extra 3% for ‘innovation’

Government auditor - what’s this innovation

CAA - it’s innovation

Government auditor - oh go on then, as long as it is not a price increase

Their definition of "innovation" is all in the (yes, yet another... 😉) consultation document - get ready to be unimpressed...

image.png.f7ceea33c62cca3bb751c134c2138c6c.png

image.png.6e56257cc71209e2f975f3fe17707099.png

image.png.7e53a551cabb5ad7a794429bd893c892.png

image.png.f8cfe4136b9bc69758c54d5f752f0dd7.png

image.png.e1fdea152bd2558ec2de32825f043753.png

• Like 1