Advice for returning flyer

SyncR

Hi guys, I thought this would be best spot to ask my questions, I'm not a total beginner (flying for around 8years) but I have just returned to hobby after couple years away so I am pretty rusty.

I've recently took up Heli flying and it's reignited my love for flying RC, I've always flown foam planes, mostly EPP flying wings and now have a itch to try a balsa model out and I'm also thinking of going IC rather then electric but not 100% set on that yet

I've been looking at mainly 2 planes, the Wot4 ARTF and the Seagull Boomerang V2, I want something easy to fly, and also something that flies well all year round, especially considering crummy year we've had.

I learned all my flying solo but thinking of maybe taking step up and joining a club next year, especially with all these new rules and laws coming into effect nowadays

Anyway thanks guys for any advice

55 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

If you can already fly (snd I think you can), the Wot4 ARTF (not UnoWot) will be excellent.

Nothing wrong with a Unowot GG..... Theres many planes you can choose from SyncR... Riot , Wot 4 Acrwot, Unowot, E-flite Apprentice or even a panic with a good .46 on the front and many more ,, ... joining a club wud be a big advantage as there wud be many people on hand for help and advice along with a visit to a good model shop wudnt go a miss.... I have various models including helicopters & Quads as i like having a good range to choose from of what models to take with me on any given flying day

Edited by GaryWebb

Given your experience i would skip the basic trainer (boomerang) and go for something low wing. From seagull their challenger is nice. its pretty dinky and can fit in the car in one piece if that is important. I fly mine on a 40 4 stroke (flying test bench for the engine) and its fine for zipping around. Not ballistic, but plenty for my purposes and plenty of fun. A decent 30-36 2 stroke would be more than enough and older used 2 strokes of this size are so cheap now, like under a tenner cheap on occasion. 40-46 is too much for a small model like this. A spacewalker around 60 inch from any brand would work well with a 40-46, plenty of other low wingers that would work. Just dial the rates down a bit and choose an engine at the smaller end of the range recommended. 

If money/space etc was no object the big seagull spacewalker (82 inch) would be ideal. Its big, stable, predictable and does nice smooth aerobatics too. A 120-160 4 stroke would be more than enough power, and even a 90 would probably fly it. Mine is great as a flying test bench for a 160 twin i keep tinkering with, i really enjoy it. It also fits in a vw golf sized car with ease along with at least one other model so transport is no bother. 

The Wot4 others have suggested is fine and they fly well, but personally i have never really got on with them. There's nothing wrong with them, i just find them unremarkable models and the acrowot would be a better choice.  

Although more expensive i would also investigate a 4 stroke engine for your chosen model. Given your experience level a lawn dart crash is unlikely so the argument about damaging the more expensive engine in said crash does not really apply. The 4 stroke will be more economical on fuel, cleaner, and quieter which may be important depending on the club you join. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, David Davis 2 said:

Either of those would be an excellent choice. The WOT 4 goes where you put it and the Boomerang is my favourite ARTF trainer mainly because it flies well in a wind due to its semi symmetrical aerofoil. A good 46 two stroke would fly either very well.

Thanks, I had a look last night and seems like Force 46 and OS 46 is main choices when buying new, is there much difference? I did run OS engines in my teens in buggies but not sure if worth spending half as much again (£60 more)

4 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

If you can already fly (snd I think you can), the Wot4 ARTF (not UnoWot) will be excellent.

Dial the rates down, get a few buddy sessions, then go for it, becoming more and more hooligan as you regain confidence.

Like I said has been good few years but I'm gonna get out one of my foamies when weather improves to get feeling back, the Wot4 certainly sounds more fun then boomerang though

3 hours ago, GaryWebb said:

Nothing wrong with a Unowot GG..... Theres many planes you can choose from SyncR... Riot , Wot 4 Acrwot, Unowot, E-flite Apprentice or even a panic with a good .46 on the front and many more ,, ... joining a club wud be a big advantage as there wud be many people on hand for help and advice along with a visit to a good model shop wudnt go a miss.... I have various models including helicopters & Quads as i like having a good range to choose from of what models to take with me on any given flying day

Aye I need to look up where my local clubs are again, I'm pretty sure I've got about 3 local'ish ones

1 hour ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Given your experience i would skip the basic trainer (boomerang) and go for something low wing. From seagull their challenger is nice. its pretty dinky and can fit in the car in one piece if that is important. I fly mine on a 40 4 stroke (flying test bench for the engine) and its fine for zipping around. Not ballistic, but plenty for my purposes and plenty of fun. A decent 30-36 2 stroke would be more than enough and older used 2 strokes of this size are so cheap now, like under a tenner cheap on occasion. 40-46 is too much for a small model like this. A spacewalker around 60 inch from any brand would work well with a 40-46, plenty of other low wingers that would work. Just dial the rates down a bit and choose an engine at the smaller end of the range recommended. 

If money/space etc was no object the big seagull spacewalker (82 inch) would be ideal. Its big, stable, predictable and does nice smooth aerobatics too. A 120-160 4 stroke would be more than enough power, and even a 90 would probably fly it. Mine is great as a flying test bench for a 160 twin i keep tinkering with, i really enjoy it. It also fits in a vw golf sized car with ease along with at least one other model so transport is no bother. 

The Wot4 others have suggested is fine and they fly well, but personally i have never really got on with them. There's nothing wrong with them, i just find them unremarkable models and the acrowot would be a better choice.  

Although more expensive i would also investigate a 4 stroke engine for your chosen model. Given your experience level a lawn dart crash is unlikely so the argument about damaging the more expensive engine in said crash does not really apply. The 4 stroke will be more economical on fuel, cleaner, and quieter which may be important depending on the club you join. 

I'll take a look at them mate thank you, I guess I was just mainly looking at 2 I was due to not flying for awhile, I'll also look up some 4 strokes, I have to be honest I didn't even know you could get em in 4 stroke, I assumed it was just typical nitro or electric

59 minutes ago, SyncR said:

Thanks, I had a look last night and seems like Force 46 and OS 46 is main choices when buying new, is there much difference? I did run OS engines in my teens in buggies but not sure if worth spending half as much again (£60 more)

18 months ago after purchasing a secondhand model off a club member that I ended up spending more time on the ground faffing around with I purchased a new Boomerang and OS46 engine. The engine setup as per the instructions has been very reliable, loads of power with unlimited vertical performance and starts first time every time. The Boomerang has been flown in all manner of conditions a lot of which kept others on the ground, it has taken me through my A cert, will be flown for my B, is easy to repair and is my go to model when the conditions are sketchy. 

Cons, it's a pig ugly model with a colour scheme put together by Stevie Wonder.

Edited by PDB
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PDB said:

18 months ago after purchasing a secondhand model off a club member that I ended up spending more time on the ground faffing around with I purchased a new Boomerang and OS46 engine. The engine setup as per the instructions has been very reliable, loads of power with unlimited vertical performance and starts first time every time. The Boomerang has been flown in all manner of conditions a lot of which kept others on the ground, it has taken me through my A cert, will be flown for my B, is easy to repair and is my go to model when the conditions are sketchy. 

Cons, it's a pig ugly model with a colour scheme put together by Stevie Wonder.

Thanks mate, I have to admit OS was always solid for me aside from leaky front bearings (99% of time), but that wasn't a hard fix back in day, having something I can fly year round no matter weather conditions is pretty much what I want, as for it being ugly I don't mind it too much honestly, I do feel like the blue on EP model they sell looks better

My OS46 is ultra reliable and powers my Double Trouble perfectly.

My Force 46 seems just as powerful and is also ultra-reliable in my Ruckus, but only if I mount it upright or sideways - slightly less reliable inverted but that's more than likely due to the relationship between carb and tank.

Contrary to my previous beliefs, I'd spend the extra on an OS.....

Beware of old OS FX series though engines as they suffered from issues with cylinder plating. Given the choice between a 2nd hand OS and new Force at the same price i would take the new engine every time. If you can inspect a 2nd hand engine before buying then its a different situation but ebay/BMFA then i would use caution. 

19 minutes ago, SyncR said:

Thanks mate, I have to admit OS was always solid for me aside from leaky front bearings (99% of time), but that wasn't a hard fix back in day, having something I can fly year round no matter weather conditions is pretty much what I want, as for it being ugly I don't mind it too much honestly, I do feel like the blue on EP model they sell looks better

Cheapest online price I can see for the Force 46  is £98, Model Shop Leeds have the OS46AX2 for £119.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PDB said:

Cheapest online price I can see for the Force 46  is £98, Model Shop Leeds have the OS46AX2 for £119.

Oh wow, thank you mate for letting me know, the few places I had looked were £155-170 so massive difference, I'll deffo go OS route now

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Beware of old OS FX series though engines as they suffered from issues with cylinder plating. Given the choice between a 2nd hand OS and new Force at the same price i would take the new engine every time. If you can inspect a 2nd hand engine before buying then its a different situation but ebay/BMFA then i would use caution. 

I've had a number of OS FX's over the years 46's & 61's and never had that issue with them... I also found SC & Super Tigre to be good reliable engines

18 minutes ago, GaryWebb said:

I've had a number of OS FX's over the years 46's & 61's and never had that issue with them... I also found SC & Super Tigre to be good reliable engines

OS plating issues are well documented. It didnt happen to all of them but most did suffer from it. ASP and SC series 3 engines (OS FX clones) were very good

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

An ASP liner/piston was the cure for many a failed (but otherwise excellent quality) OS engine. Sadly no longer being produced…

Sorry for possible dumb question but does this still apply to modern OS engines like the AX2? Or have they fixed the liner?