LMA Cosford in 2024 ??

Disappointed to hear that Cosford's a no go. The only show that I'd be prepared to go to now, but might give their fairly nearby alternative a try if the weather at the time looks to be good. Quite a trek for us from N. Essex so we make a long weekend of it and stay with family near Tamworth.

Not really into the usual show format anymore so really enjoy the LMA's offering and it'd be nice if there were more of their shows in the South East. Duxford, quite some years ago was ideal for us.

Difficult to please everyone I fully understand - and the difficulty of finding suitable venues for all aviation based events, not just modelling, is becoming more of an issue every year.

Understand that W&W at North Weald has been axed......not surprised TBH. Was there in '86 for the first one.

Sadly nothing lasts, and the general trend is for things to peak and then decline for a whole number of factors.

New organiser announced on BMFA FB page that the old website has not been updated and the new venue was to be at Lutterworth Hall in Leicestershire.

Not too far for me so might give the show another chance and for the new organisers an opportunity to improve on things. I hadn't been for ages since it had been getting smaller and with a falling trade presence, worsening traffic and that terribly loud commentator.

New folks deserve a chance.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I love the LMA Cosford show too, shame it's not on again. It's great to see different planes flying at the LMA shows rather then the usual stuff that seems to be at every other airshow around.

Yes it is also a shame about W&W not being at North Weald any more, I live in South Essex and even though it hasnt been the best of the shows lately, it was nice to have an event not too far away for a change and do a bit of shopping round the trade stalls.

How about the BMFA Nationals, is that on this year does anyone know? Thats another of my faves.

12 minutes ago, Steve Nash 1 said:

I love the LMA Cosford show too, shame it's not on again. It's great to see different planes flying at the LMA shows rather then the usual stuff that seems to be at every other airshow around.

Yes it is also a shame about W&W not being at North Weald any more, I live in South Essex and even though it hasnt been the best of the shows lately, it was nice to have an event not too far away for a change and do a bit of shopping round the trade stalls.

How about the BMFA Nationals, is that on this year does anyone know? Thats another of my faves.

See your most recent copy of BMFA News - the BMFA pretty much concede the multi-disciplinary Power Nats as we used to know them are gone...

45 minutes ago, MattyB said:

See your most recent copy of BMFA News - the BMFA pretty much concede the multi-disciplinary Power Nats as we used to know them are gone...

Thanks MattyB, I will open it up and take a look 👍

On 25/01/2024 at 17:51, Ron Gray said:

Yep and debating if it will be worth the trip!

We were due to race the wings there at wings and wheels again this year but it’s been cancelled now as well unfortunately. All the shows are dropping like flies I’m afraid 

Edited by Stubbsy

1 hour ago, Ron Gray said:

Yeah, another one down the pan, just got to hope someone comes up with some form of replacement show!

Why would anyone bother to organise a show nowadays.

The moaners would have a field day.

Too far to go

Too expensive to get in

Not enough traders

Traders not discounting enough

Wrong type of models on display 

Foods and drinks a rip off

Not like it was in the eighties 

Etc etc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Commercial model shows aren't and have never been charity events - if they are no longer offering what people want or they fall foul of other pressures as the Nats have, then they'll fail as we've unfortunately seen so many do recently. The younger generation don't seem to like spending a day watching models and wandering round stalls as we liked to in the past - just not their thing.

Learner's list of 'moans' are simply highlighting very succinctly why model shows are falling by the wayside. Nothing to do with being miserable or moaning for the sake of it (you'll always get a few) just an unfortunate state of affairs that are being mirrored in many other once successful and popular enterprises. Think your local high street shops - some pubs and restaurants, many local theatres etc if where I live is anything to go by.

Edited by Cuban8

It is hard to believe just how huge the Sandown Symposium was - every floor including the basement stuffed with modelling or model engineering goodies. Crowds six deep around every trader at the busiest times, and the spectators packed into the outside stand for the flying. My daughter (now almost 40 with two kids of her own) as an eight year old, one of dozens of kids waiting for the 'Toffee Bomber' to make its run over their heads and the mayhem of them all scrambling to get a sweetie after the drop.

We really were a lucky generation to have experienced those shows as they were in their prime.

• Like 3