Warbirds Replicas FW190 2023 version - a VLOG of the build

Ron Gray

Well it's just about there, I've got to apply some protective varnish, fit a pilot and the radio gear (plus aileron pushrods, then it is ready for its maiden. The last of the build videos is processing so should be up later on tonight.

IMG_8498.thumb.jpeg.1b963acc5125aa2a433f69c5a5c32e04.jpeg

IMG_8494.thumb.jpeg.e3f4fdbebdc9f2794ca2ddc13e0542f2.jpeg

IMG_8496.thumb.jpeg.338a97077bc0455b842867d6c9cdcaab.jpeg

IMG_8497.thumb.jpeg.ba9cf524a0854d24b2260f6275a8b211.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ron Gray said:

Well it's just about there, I've got to apply some protective varnish, fit a pilot and the radio gear (plus aileron pushrods, then it is ready for its maiden. The last of the build videos is processing so should be up later on tonight.

IMG_8498.thumb.jpeg.1b963acc5125aa2a433f69c5a5c32e04.jpeg

IMG_8494.thumb.jpeg.e3f4fdbebdc9f2794ca2ddc13e0542f2.jpeg

IMG_8496.thumb.jpeg.338a97077bc0455b842867d6c9cdcaab.jpeg

IMG_8497.thumb.jpeg.ba9cf524a0854d24b2260f6275a8b211.jpeg

Wow. That looks amazing. I take my hat off to you! 🎩 

• Thanks 1

Just been checking the weight and the CG. To get to the 70mm back from LE I have to add about 217g (approx 7.5 oz) of lead to the nose, this brings the overall AUW to approx 2.2Kg (4lb 13oz) which is slightly heavier than I was hoping for but still OK. Of course a larger, heavier motor would offset some of that - mine's a 3548 so a 4250 would add about 50g.

• Like 1

Hi Andrew

The Warbirds Replicas FW190 was produced at the end of last year with the production run tailored to pre-orders from those members of this forum who expressed an interest. There is an extensive thread on the topic, which explains all of that and several documented build threads.

I really like the distressed look of your 190 Ron and thanks so much for taking time to walk people through it . 

The other thing I think this shows , is that when you have not done this before , when you do the initial basic colours , it can look a bit streaky and generally naff (no offence Ron , same thing happens to me ) . But the point is , with all the panel lines and weathering ,  the defficiences of the base colours actually enhance the final look . 

Indeed , if you look at our friends in the plastic modelling world , they will often spray in streaks of light and dark first then apply camo over the top to give an uneven look . 

We are achieving the look as a by product of minimal paint to keep the weight down . 

Talking of weight , I am scratching my head on the ballast addition . As you say , Its not a problem as all up weight is low , but as my kit was the same as yours and for once , I just built it with no changes , I dont know where the tail heaviness is creeping in . 

I have supplied motors to some the guys which are identical to mine , but I flew my 190 on the test flights with no ally spinner and a 3300 mah  zippy compact and no ballast . 

At the end of the day , the ballast will make no difference and we have kept the nose length very close to scale which is the point of this project . 

• Like 1