Something to look forward to on the telly

kevin b

• kevin b changed the title to Something to look forward to on the telly

They seem to be flogging to death the 'restoration show' format - I'm a bit bored with most of them now. Didn't care much for David Jason's Lancaster programme I'm afraid, so probably won't bother with his new programme.

We watch far less in the way of 'normal' telly now - more and more in the way of streaming services - far less value for what we get from the TV tax though.

Edited by Cuban8

Frontier on Channel 5 select. V good and informative regarding the birth of the USA. (May give you a different take on Americans) In the same vein Rich HALL's (American Comedian) POTUS and one other program which I cannot remember well worth a look. And if you want to be annoyed and marvel watch The Bank of Dave on Netflix. Brill.

And for a long, absorbing and thought provoking watch try The Wire. (British Actors too i.e Idris ELBA. Tim WEST...) 

15 hours ago, Zflyer said:

That would be the UK since 1997 then....

Used to love 'The Great Egg Race' back in the late 70s/80s -  reckon that could possibly stand a reboot......even our very own heavy lift challenge or a variation on it might attract a reasonable audience if it was presented correctly. Difficult, because what would satisfy those into such stuff also needs a certain something else to attract and keep the attention of those that haven't a clue about model making or engineering.

TBH, I fear that most programmes that mainly attract a niche audience will be difficult to produce and fund sufficiently - at least we have YouTube as a resource to find out about most subjects.

• 1 month later...

Any program that would attract us model makers would undoubtedly be ruined by the woke, incredibly stupid , inclusive,etc etc modern generation of  producers that interfere with the original idea. A prime example wasDavid &  Jay 's Travelling tool shed. A program that would and should have grabbbed the imagination of viewers only to be ruined bu David Jason trying to be funny and poor production. Too many interfering woke  fingers in the pie these days . Even the Repair shop went through a phase of more time spent telling boring life stoies than showing the actual repair process. I think that has been addressed slightly but still needs a bit more of a nudge. Had a so called Celeb like David Jason been involved then hopefully  it would not have made a second series;  Jay Blades however does his stuff in a no nonsense way as do the repairers. Dom Chinea has an excellent YouTube Channel for those that havent seen it .Have  look hes currently doing stuff an a Ranalagh English wheel inbetween resoring an old Porche and Motorbikes. A good watch.

• Like 4

On 15/01/2024 at 13:58, Cuban8 said:

They seem to be flogging to death the 'restoration show' format - I'm a bit bored with most of them now. Didn't care much for David Jason's Lancaster programme I'm afraid, so probably won't bother with his new programme.

We watch far less in the way of 'normal' telly now - more and more in the way of streaming services - far less value for what we get from the TV tax though.

The TV is only here for the Missus. I watch very little of it if any. I spend hours watching YouTube stuff. Allen MIllyard is excellent. As are JAMSI, Rainman Ray Repairs, Shrigley Engineering. And quite a few others.

• Like 1

Nothing to do with repair programmes but well worth a watch is a programme on BBC Alba (the Gaelic language channel) called Bill agus an Spitfire. It went out on Feb. 20th at 2230 but you can catch it on I-Player. It's sub-titled and features a 90-year old brought up on South Uist who flew as a National Service pilot and later flew Rapides with BEA on the service to the Hebrides and Shetlands, landing on the beach before flying Viscounts and later wide-bodies with BA. His son finally gets him a flight in a Spitfire at Biggin Hill. The whole programme is slow-paced and laid back, without any of the contrived 'funny'  bits that spoil so much TV today. In fact several of the Alba and BBC Scotland programmes are 'played straight' and don't seem to feel the need to bring in contrived bits of emotion or fake suspense. Worth keeping an eye on when you're not building.

Talking Pictures TV on Freeview Ch 82 is showing Jack Hargreaves's later 'Out of Town' programmes from the early 80s at the moment. Wonderful television from everyone's idea of the ideal grandad. Amusing last episode when he tried and failed (thankfully perhaps) to demonstrate an old musket type of hunting rifle in the studio.

I suppose  the late Bob Symes-Schutzmann who did some really good modelling TV programmes ages ago had a similar style.

Most of the latest crop of presenters and 'influencers' simply get on my nerves.

Edited by Cuban8

The starting credits of "the Repair Shop" used to show Jay Blades sweeping the floor and was the butt of non-PC jokes between me and the wife😄. He's now shown doing more important stuff - he's an MBE now dontcha know also he has touched the shoulder of the King.

Don't watch it any more 'cos it's more about the sob stories now.