CAA Consultation.

The good doc dai had just sent me the latest digital copy of E @ T magazine which states that the caa has recently released its present consultation about flying cars, vertical take off and landing taxis from the thousands of UK airfields.

TWitter ????

does not seem to want to open on my cheapo internet phone, but may do in the library tommorrow.

may prove to be an interesting read.....

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

The good doc dai had just sent me the latest digital copy of E @ T magazine which states that the caa has recently released its present consultation about flying cars, vertical take off and landing taxis from the thousands of UK airfields.

TWitter ????

does not seem to want to open on my cheapo internet phone, but may do in the library tommorrow.

may prove to be an interesting read.....

As with many of your posts, I don't fully understand some of the above, but I did track down the CAA consultations homepage...

https://consultations.caa.co.uk/

I'm not sure which one you are talking about (perhaps the one related to VTOL battery handling?), but the one that caught my attention is this one on Remote Pilot Competence, which I was not aware of til now... @steve too, have you seen this? I don't have time to read it now, but will do over the weekend. I suspect it will not apply to recreational model aircraft flown within LOS, but it's difficult to tell for certain at first glance from the materials provided...

https://consultations.caa.co.uk/rpas/remote-pilot-competence-in-the-specific-category/

Supporting document - https://consultations.caa.co.uk/rpas/remote-pilot-competence-in-the-specific-category/supporting_documents/RPCWG_AMC_GM_Final.pdf

Acceptable Means of Compliance and Guidance Material to UK Regulation (EU) 947/2019: Remote Pilot Competence

Closes 14 Mar 2024

Opened 21 Dec 2023

Overview

The CAA recently published an initial consultation on the future of remote pilot competence. The consultation was open from 5th of July 2023 to the 23rd of August 2023 and received 112 detailed responses from a wide range of stakeholders.

This second consultation builds on the feedback the CAA received by providing a more detailed policy position.

What is the proposed change?

The proposal covers changes to several sections of AMC and GM to regulation UK Regulation (EU) 2019/947 including: 

•    Amendments to AMC1 Article 8(2) Remote Pilot Competence 
•    Amendments to, Annex part B UAS OPERATIONS IN THE SPECIFIC CATEGORY to UK Regulation (EU) 2019/947

Why is the CAA doing this? 

Expansion of the UK remote pilot competence scheme to include training for complex operation including BVLOS has been identified through project DiSCO  as a key enabler for the future of the UK UAS industry. Remote pilot competence is critical to the ongoing safety of UAS operations. 

What Changes are proposed?

The AMC proposes to introduce 4 new levels of remote pilot competence ranging from level 1 to level 4 (amended based on consultation feedback). Additionally, it includes some minor amendments to supporting AMC clarify the responsibilities of remote pilots and operators.  

Edited by MattyB

28 minutes ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

For commercial operators Matty ?

I thought so initially, but now I'm not so sure [EDIT - See post below this one, I now don't think it does apply]

These revised requirements would only apply to the Specific category, which recreational model flyers outside of the national associations do not operate in (we are in the Open category). The potential problem here is that when flying under an Article 16 authorisation, national association members are operating in the Specific category (post link from @steve toobelow):

From the BMFA RCC page on Article 16...

"Given the excellent safety record established by model flyers throughout Europe, the EU agreed that model flying conducted within the framework of Associations like the BMFA should be subject to more flexible regulation to allow us to continue largely ‘as we do today’.  The mechanism to facilitate this is referred to as an ‘Article 16 Authorisation’ (within the ‘Specific Category’) and this document provides a guide to how the updated Authorisation we have negotiated with the CAA applies to our members."

As a result these changes could well apply to us too. As usual though, the CAA have made it so complex to understand that it's very hard to know - we are reliant on the National Associations here to translate and negotiate for us.

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

Addition to the above... It appears whilst we ARE operating in the Specific category when utilising the Article 16 authorisations given to national model flying associations, an Article 16 auth is not the same thing as an Operational authorisation for other (commercial) operators within the Specific category.

From pg 11 of CAP 1789a....

"6. An operational authorisation shall not be required for: 

a) UAS operators holding an LUC with appropriate privileges in accordance with point UAS.LUC.060 of the Annex;

b) operations conducted in the framework of model aircraft clubs and associations that have received an authorisation in accordance with Article 16."

On that basis I don't believe any of the proposed changes to pilot competency would apply to us. However, why does this stuff have to be sooooooooo complicated to understand? Ridiculous.

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MattyB said:

However, why does this stuff have to be sooooooooo complicated to understand? Ridiculous.

If they had made the sensible choice of a separate category for model aircraft (which they keep referring to) then things would have been so much easier to understand and to legislate for!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, MattyB said:

Why does this stuff have to be sooooooooo complicated!

It is not in the interests of the average civil servant or qangocrat to make things simple.

It is worth pointing out that Article 16 of 2019/947 can be modified by the DfT with a Statutory Instrument and the BMFA's authorisation can be modified on a whim by the CAA.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, steve too said:

It is not in the interests of the average civil servant or qangocrat to make things simple.

It is worth pointing out that Article 16 of 2019/947 can be modified by the DfT with a Statutory Instrument and the BMFA's authorisation can be modified on a whim by the CAA.

It can also be left as is, or reviewed with consultation.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, steve too said:

Remember Yes Minister ...so true.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, steve too said:

One of the best fly on the wall documentaries ever produced.

It wasn't a documentary.  It was written by insiders to flag up the constant battle between the Civil Service and Ministers.  Lesser ministers could be bamboozled whereas the really good ones ruled the roost.  Trouble is, there aren't too many good ones!

• Sad 1

Internet crap here as usual..  the pleb comment was sent ages ago but not received...?

Hi Matty, a "cross thread" perhaps ?

Humble apologies if my threads are a little difficult to comprehend or unravel, i will try harder to make them simpler and easier to fathom in future...

Google E  and T, select E and T magazine. Scroll down, look to right and see futuristic passenger flying taxi's.....VTOL...

The article Dr. Dai sent in his email said "1000's of UK airfields " ?

Are there 2001 airfields or more in the UK at the moment, real full size ones ?

A VTOL airfield would be so much smaller than a full size or even club airfield, meaning they could materialise almost anywhere, subject to conditions etc..

This could result in reduced or more regulated flying fields for us, compulsory rid and/or other conditions imposed by caa...

It was suggested that model fliers might propose a "standard"  or definition for a "park flier" but it seems we want to wait for caa to impose a standard on us.

No "definition", so ASA are more or less "ineffective" relative to what is written on some models and their boxes maybe ?

Depends how you read things, between the lines, or join the dits I suppose.

I have been told the older we get the more cynical we become.....

Horizon.....

So difficult to see cas stuff on this phones matchbox sized screen with crap internet signal, whilst on a real computer with a big screen in the library, is a different world.

I am saving hard for a modern real computer and internet, any one wanna buy an RC boat or eighties motorcycle/70's moped ???

Have a great weekend guys and gals....

Edited by Rich Griff