Not quite Mercury Tiger Moth - RC conversion

Hello

picking up in this project and what with Hippocket forum going a bit oear shaped thought i’d post here.

Started out as an RC conversion of a Mercury Tiger Moth but I redrew the outlines and laser cut new ribs with different spar layout etc.

Power will be Irvine Mills 75 with RC carb, more of a two speed affair 🤣

Micro servers and Lemon Rx.  Should be a few oz heavier than FF target weight but will still be OK hooefully.

If only those legendarily vast fields of KielKraft long grass still existed, I’d have built it FreeFlight.

Will post some figures later

0FC65128-0264-4423-9F4F-739429CF7476.jpeg

5749360B-F830-4D20-8107-E92CA144BEF2.jpeg

8257209B-35E6-457D-A3CB-74DDF92919D2.jpeg

5EF985B2-5297-4D4C-90AC-4D257DFFA2B1.jpeg

7C04A5A9-04F4-4393-B605-8411CA469659.jpeg

848B2B0F-E069-4637-95F2-F0B6394CC949.jpeg

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 6

Hi

the tailplane uses laminated 4Ib density 1/32 outline.  The core is 5Ib 1/32 QTR grain.  Its pretty light but strong construction.  Its what the scale FF bods like Bill Dennis typically seem to use.   I’ve used pretty much 4-6Ib wood apart from 1/8 spars.  Even with all the ‘reworks’ it will still be stand off scale.  Not quite as ‘far off’ as the Mercury original though 😂

Hopefully won’t need too much nose weight 😃

I’ll cover with Jap Esaki lightweight tissue over 10u mylar.

mike

PS I’ve seen a ‘proper Mercury Tiger Moth’ flying free flight and was a really good performer.

DCC83BDE-3B85-4584-AFCE-7205192A6FB0.jpeg

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 3

Nice to see this build. 

I do not know who invented the core method of construction but  Free Flight Scale champion Eric Coats did much to promote the method in the 70's being both light and resistant to warps.

Important for a free flight type as once launched if trim is out there is nothing you can do to correct.

Hi

Lol, doesn’t look like much progress but on all morning with hinges.  Elevators and rudder hinged with Robart 306 1/2a hinge point hinges.  Some things just can’t be rushed 😂

295g (10.4 oz) at this point but balances where it should at this point.

Reckon I can save 15g on wheels.  Heavy ones on there right now.

mike

3CE99E9C-43DD-46E9-89EB-483E3036C363.jpeg

B6E58289-44EE-4813-9F35-08FF18193282.jpeg

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 5

Mike,

Nice build.

Can I be so bold as to recommend a couple of braces between the forward UC mount and your motor bearers?

I can imagine the vibration of the single cylinder motor on those long (1/4" spruce?) bearers causing quite a bit of movement at the prop.

Hi

yeah, its like a mini jig.  For smaller models.  3D printed them.  4mm studding with lock nuts and wing nuts.  Good for small models.

I’ll probably brace the bearers a little once i’ve managed to get all the gubbins up front and wherever it goes to balance.  With a replica Mills up front its not going to be doing any Loops.

mike

image.jpg

Edited by MikeQ

I did the same quite a few years ago using the plan from a Mercury kit. Had to guess at some of the formers which were not shown.

Originally fitted a Mills but the comp. screw was rather inaccessible and insisted on unscrewing in flight, resulting in `engine still running` landings; it was tricky to start being inverted. Eventually electrified it (sorry). With a 3s 1000 and a tiny Orange caseless Rx + esc there was very little room left inside.

Yours is obviously rud/ele which will be fine because they refuse to turn with ailerons alone. With all that wing area you need not worry about a little extra weight.

Hi

haven’t finished the cabanes and wing struts etc yet.  Not my favourite … metal work 😆.  Currently overthinking the wing strut attachments.  Not too keen on the usual FreeFlight scale way of doing it but can’t think of a better way.

Wing will have ailerons, just need to ‘cut them out’.  Will require some extra sub spars etc.  servos mounted in the wings.

Will use a lemon caseless Rx, 2S 150-200mAh, BlueBird BMS101HV servos.

cheers

mike

Mike if I may suggest? Install small  hooks (fashioned out of some suitable piano wire) in the wings and fuse at appropriate location and install eyes (cotter pins anchored in?) at the strut ends. Install lower wings, hook on the struts lower end and fix on the top wings. The struts are then retained on with simulated flying and landing wires from a suitable legth of shirring elastic. 

That's how I have it on my 20 size Gordon Whitehead design Tiger Moth