Warbirds Replicas Hawker Tempest V -Mass Build 2024(part two) .

Advert

Ive got most of the forms and instructions from people back now .Planning for kits to start leaving the Norfolk workshop on Tuesday .

I'd like to get the majority out next week as Ive got two weeks off after that and communication will be difficult . 

So if anyone has the form still sitting on their desk then , pm me so we can short circuit the system . 

Just had the post today , so can say tell who havent returned yet , 

Nick Cripps - I know you're away . 

Graham Bowers 

Alan Hilton 

Martin Collins 

No panic for anyone , but keep in mind the 2 week break mentioned above . 

The Tempest Kits will start leaving the workshop tomorrow . 

Here are the finished shots of my Tempest .  You can see that the battery hatch has half the exhaust stacks and the remainder are glued to the cowl . 

I glued some balsa inside the exhausts before sticking them on in order to give them more grip . 

I'm really pleased with how it turned out . Its a bit different than a Spitfire , but has all the of the glamour and menace that you would expect in such a high performance machine .  When we did the original back in 2000 , it was a surprise success . Maybe this will be the same . 

IMG_6949.jpg

IMG_6950.jpg

IMG_6955.jpg

IMG_6956.jpg

IMG_6953.jpg

• Like 5

If we wind back to the beginning of this thread , you will remember I posted two pictures of a Tempest model . 

The first was my original "year 2000" version at 55" .

The second was a beautifully airbrushed 1:32 plastic model which will , of course , will never be required to fly . The chap who made it and painted it , was at the top of his game . 

As always , our challenge was , can we simplify it to make it a quick build , light model ? Plus , can we organise the build and finish so that people with very little experience and no expensive equipment can produce exactly the same result . 

We achieved this as a group , without question in the FW190 build . This model is 10% more difficult , but I am confident that you are all going to get on just as well . 

Once we have all mastered a German finish and a moderately complicated British finish , then we've proved that all things are possible . 

Here is reminder of the 1:32 plastic Kit with superb airbrushed finish , that we set out to emulate , keeping in mind all of the above .

As with the 190 , we used B&Q paints , no airbrush , just some cheap paint brushes , a black pen and white pen plus a silver shaker pen . 

Tempest RB1.jpg

• Like 2

Looks fantastic Richard and looking forward to seeing the kit in the flesh - it would be great if some of the speedier builders could get their Tempests in the air for the 80th Anniversary of D-Day in exactly one month's time. 

• Thanks 1

Better stop flying the Butcher Bird and finish that, then get ready for the Tempest! I should at least be able to get the invasion stripes scale!

Well done Richard and the team...talking of the team... has the green one got another ASBO or is he on another "special mission" again?

• Like 1

I like the way Leccy is urging the keen lads over the top . 

Not seen hide nor hair of his 190 . I bet its languishing in his collection . 

We had Generals like that in the first world war . 😁

I'd have been working for Anthony Fokker . 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

Looks fantastic Richard and looking forward to seeing the kit in the flesh - it would be great if some of the speedier builders could get their Tempests in the air for the 80th Anniversary of D-Day in exactly one month's time. 

All mine needs now is the stripes.

20220322_151542.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

I like the way Leccy is urging the keen lads over the top . 

Not seen hide nor hair of his 190 . I bet its languishing in his collection . 

We had Generals like that in the first world war . 😁

I'd have been working for Anthony Fokker . 

My FW190 is making slow progress - joined the wings today, but with so many other build threads I was leaving it a bit longer to document the build. It should be ready for the 80th Anniversary, so Pips Priller will be represented, if things go according to plan.

Hmm , Black 13 and the only German fighter to Strafe the beaches on D Day , as far as I know .

He obviously didnt get the memo the rest of the Luftwaffe got . 

To be fair , the western front beaches had been home ground for JG26 for four years , so no wonder he got a bit peeved . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andrew exton said:

Own design or kit/ plan built ???

looks good 👍 

andy

Built from a Brian Taylor plan and laser cut parts from Sarik. The original plan has fixed undercarriage I modified the wing to take electric retracts. Electric power on 5s, thinking of converting to a Tempest 2 with radial cowl since the battery which is housed in the cowl moved forward and the prop started cutting the leads. Fortunately I heard the noise and landed, the positive lead was almost through. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Lots of Tempest boxes going out Parcel Force tomorrow 

So make sure that if you are out in the next few days you have a note or something to tell the Postie what to do . 

If you are concerned , pm me and I may be able to forward tracking . 

• Like 1

here are some surnames and Parcel Force tracking numbers

Russell UX6205166

Knowles UX6205170

Barker     UX6205197 

Cullen UX6205183

Naylor UX6244638

Youatt UX6244615

Orrells UX 6244536

Kent UX6244540

Harries UX6244575

Clementosn UX6244598