What's your Rate Determining Step? ( In other words, where do you grind to a halt on a build? )

I have been thinking ( I know ) I have at least 4 half built models, and it occurred to me some time ago that they are all at the same point: Radio installation. I can't go any further until the radio and associated electrics are in. This is clearly because I hate installing radio. I mean to the untrained eye they look like they are at different phases but they all need radio/ power systems before any further progress and I am willing to do almost anything to avoid that. Including leaving the model half built for nearly three years. 

Procrastination IS something I am good at. Anyway I will be screwing up my determination and getting on with it soon because I only have one non Ultra Micro that's flyable, so necessity in this case is the mother of determination. 

I was also wondering if you have a similar point that slows you down or brings you to a grinding halt? 

Advert

Painting.

I never seem to be able to organise myself to start - my Tempest airframe has been in primer for over a year!  I've had a lot of distractions this winter so haven't even touched the model since I created the panel lines with masking tape/primer and pencilled in the camouflage pattern last autumn.

My radio installs are planned during the build process so it's not a one off task.  It does take a lot of thinking through on more complex models. We had a club member once who claimed that his radio installations took "half an hour".  He was one of the most prolific crashers I've ever known - I wonder if there's any connection!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Painting is historically the big hold up for me. Largely due to not having had anywhere to do it and never being fully satisfied with a brushed, rather than sprayed finish. I do now manage to do a little bit of airbrush work, but am so concerned about overspray that it puts me off any further attempts at an overall spray finish on all but the smallest models that can at least fit in the mouth of the airbrush "booth".

• Like 2

If the model needs me to cut out the formers and ribs then getting started is the rate limiting step, I do not like cutting parts, I find that I am less than accurate. Once over this stage I am OK. If it is a ready cut kit, no issues, straight in and through the build.

• Like 1

The weather..!!

Strangely, when the weather is cold and miserable - traditionally the best time for building new models - I tend to stay out of the workshop. 

When the weather is good, I go flying during the day and spend hours in the workshop during the evenings.  🙄

• Like 2

I'm with Stuart.

I dislike installing the radio but I also dislike hinging the control surfaces.

I have a DB Sport & Scale Auster which was given to me at least ten years ago, it only needs the canopy glazing to be fitted and the radio installing and it's ready for its maiden flight. I also have a Galaxy Models Mystic in the same condition which I bought as a quick build project four years ago! A club colleague has made an excellent job of spraying the Auster's cowling and Carbon Copy are sending me a white fibre glass undercarriage for the Mysic. When it arrives I'll have no excuses!

• Like 1

Joining wings where there's a large epoxy joint is my problem. Beasuse I know there's only one chance to get it right before the epoxy goes off. I'm always careful to get everything ready, and pre-check alignments, availability of tools, clean up tissue, solvent etc.. But I always have a fear that as soon as I've mixed up the large amount of epoxy required there'll be someone at the front door, or the phone will ring!

Edited by EvilC57
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, EvilC57 said:

Joining wings where there's a large epoxy joint is my problem. Beasuse I know there's only one chance to get it right before the epoxy goes off. I'm always careful to get everything ready, and pre-check alignments, availability of tools, clean up tissue, solvent etc.. But I always have a fear that as soon as I've mixed up the large amount of epoxy required there'll be someone at the front door, or the phone will ring!

Thats simple . Turn phone off, , lock yourself in workshop, use slower setting epoxy with decent clamps qnd let the world do one until your ready 😉. If its important any caller will call back or leave your answerphone on,  oh and switch off the devils invention... the mobile.

• Like 1

For me, it's always the ritual of opening that big box. It's such a magic moment, and no matter how things progress, it only happens once.

So it gets put off, sometimes for many years

ernie

• Like 3