Spektrum or similar transmitter

Hoochykins

Advert

I was looking at the DX as it was cheaper and I don't mind have an slightly older but decent model. No been to the clubs yet but my mate wants a transmitter and the FlySky one I have although is fine it's quite a cheap one.

The only thing I did was stuck some spacers in the FlySky one I have to stiffen the thumb sticks slightly, I do like these on the stiffer side but other than that I am pretty open to anything. As long as I can get quite cheap receivers.

I suppose it depends on what you want it to do, and what you consider cheap.  

If you ask 10 peoples opinion or advice on buying a transmitter, you'll get 11 answers, with not 1 being unbiased!

Personally, I'd buy a Radiomaster TX16. It can do just about anything, has more channels than you'll ever need, is of better quality than the FlySky, and if you get it with a multi-module (an option when you buy) it can bind to many different manufacturers receivers, so you can take advantage of the market.  But I am biased as that's what I have!

If you can, visit your local club and chat to them. The members will undoubtedly talk to you about their choice, and may even let you hold them to see if you like the feel.  Previous advice would have been to get what is popular with clubmates so you can share experience, but you now have t'internet for that..... 

I am happy to expand on my journey (I have minimal brand loyalty) if you want.

Mr Dinosaur here!

I still have mine and my son's DX8 gen 1's (silver), work perfectly well on DSM2 and DSMX of which there are plenty of DSM2 RX's as lots of people have moved on and the DX gen 2's will no operate  DSM2 RX's. This is why DX8 gen 1 still hold their value. Of course being old tech then don't have the functionality to get the best out of the forward programming features of the modern RX's. Depends what you fly? and more importantly what you think you will be flying in a few years time?

DX8 gen 2 is a nice TX and has the forward programming functionality if you are panning on using stabilisation/safe.

IMO the biggest driver is what you want and how prepared you are to learn whatever system you intend to use, if you local club have experts in system Y then choosing system X is hard work, but then again their are people that have the time and enthusiasm to learn and just go it alone anyway. 

I bit like GG says! 

Nice. 

I just wanted something around the £100 - £200 mark that does everything I need. Not interested in stabilization etc

Jets and such are a long distance off and I just wanted a reliable older but better quality transmitter with quite cheap receivers.

I haven't been to a club yet and I have no worry about going for a model that isn't used by the clubs I do attend as I am fine with menus etc.

I have seen some DX8's that are around £100 - £150. Is there much of a difference between the DX Gen 1 and 2 when it comes to performance?

Be very careful buying any 2nd hand transmitter. Some people are dishonest. Offload a faulty (intermittent) to the next sucker. Unless you trust totally the seller, don’t go there. Listen to Shaun Walsh, post above, getting into, or returning to this hobby ain’t easy, a mentor, teacher, coach whatever can’t be expected to learn the programming of a strange brand. No coach= loads of broken airframes. 

16 minutes ago, Hoochykins said:

Nice. 

I just wanted something around the £100 - £200 mark that does everything I need. Not interested in stabilization etc

Jets and such are a long distance off and I just wanted a reliable older but better quality transmitter with quite cheap receivers.

I haven't been to a club yet and I have no worry about going for a model that isn't used by the clubs I do attend as I am fine with menus etc.

I have seen some DX8's that are around £100 - £150. Is there much of a difference between the DX Gen 1 and 2 when it comes to performance?

You may have problems with spares availability or the Gen 1 DX8. 

I recommend you look at the Radiomaster TX16s with the 4 in 1 module, under £200 (just) and you can use your Flysky receivers and Spektrum receivers and just about any other receiver going. Personally I prefer the Lemon DSMx receivers but there is plenty of choice out there.  I use Flysky receivers in my boats.

The RM TX16s with Edge Tx is a steep learning curve but it will do just about anything a good Tx should except break the bank.

9 minutes ago, Shaun Walsh said:

You may have problems with spares availability or the Gen 1 DX8. 

The main reason IMO that DX8 gen 1's hold their price is that they will do both DSM2 and DSMX, the gen 2 will only do DXMX so less sought after.

Yes Spektrum don't do spares for a DX8 gen 1 but the only things than have gone wrong with mine is me damaging a switch of the aerial pivot breaking (non OEM ones available and work ok). If you don't want the risk or hassle then go for a gen 2. Firstly the aerial is fixed and secondly Logic RC will probably service/repair.

The second DX8 gen 1 I bought the chap had just had it serviced and had the receipt. 

If you are budget driven, want a more user friendly menu, more relevant support (I understand Spektrum  are still issuing firmware upgrades for the gen2) and spares then IMO go for a DX8 gen 2. One other risk is that there were a lot of DXM2's RX that were counterfeit so I can avoid that with a gen2

PS I had some serious issues with a DX8 gen 1 (both) with Lemon RX's 8 channel (two), but others didn't with lower channel counts

PPS as others have said, wait for a new in box, never been used one turns up...and avoid the punter that doesn't have a good reason for sale/has crashed his last 6 models due to TX failure (or dumb thumbs).

In the price bracket mentioned, you can buy new radios from Futaba, FrSky, Radiomaster to name just three mainstream manufacturers.

In my experience, the radio link for all three is rock solid and you'll get something new and unused.

In terms of functionality and flexibility, the order is Radiomaster, FrSky, Futaba. 

My Radiomaster links to models with receivers from Spektrum (DSM2 and DSMX) both original and clones, FrSky original and clones, FlySky,  Futaba SFHSS, TopRC. 

Futaba receivers are generally more expensive than FrSky receivers.  Radiomaster receivers are clones of FrSky receivers of an older protocol (D8], and are cheaper than original FrSky

Functionality of Futaba sets are menu driven, FrSky and Radiomaster use OpenTX or EdgeTX which is completely flexible - if you think of something you want, you can do it.  There are lots of scare stories about how complicated OpenTX/EdgeTX is - this is not true. It requires a little thought but I managed to get flaps linked to ailerons or completely separate surfaces, plus crow braking, plus snap flap far easier than a clubmate did with his relatively high end menu-driven set.

Don't be offended, but it sounds like your heart is set on a used DX8. It's a fine radio and will allow you to fly most things, with a nice solid radio link.  But remember - caveat emptor. I owned a few Spektrum sets and was happy with them, then the flexibility and value for money of FrSky dragged me into their world; then Radiomaster came along just as I needed a back up for my FrSky (the Radiomaster soon became my favoured set because it did everything the FrSky did, but also took advantage of EdgeTX functionality when development of OpenTX ended).

Edited by GrumpyGnome

Posted (edited)

Absolutely open to anything. I'll have a look at the suggestions.

I didn't really think there would be an issue buying second hand but the whole idea is to invest in something with more reliability and quality so I don't destroy the frames I have now. I have gone with a good selection of older models so losing one or two while learning isn't much of a big deal. I'll only start off with the gliders etc, I'll leave the 4 stroke Wot 4 for a good while yet.

I think I was looking at Spektrum as there are a lot about and some of the other ones I looked at the receivers were ££££!

Just to add, your advice doesn't fall on death ears I wouldn't be the owner of a VMC Basic Cub, half way through a SLEC Coyote and now have the last Tomahawk Billkits has made 😁

Edited by Hoochykins

Receivers can be scarily expensive but I think basic Futaba or Spektrum receivers are £30/£40.... basic FrSky a bit less. You can get 6 channel FlySky receivers for under £15 (as you probably know!), and they work fine with Radiomaster mpm transmitters. I have a few in my smaller models and have had no issues at all.

Basic Spektrum receivers were £30-40, so I bought loads of them,  excellent bits of kit, but then HH HHiked their prices up, making the AR620 (previously £34 each) >£50, which I thought was unacceptable given the market. The new generation Lemon 7 channel receivers with stabilisation and telemetry now fit in that space.

After watching a fair few reviews I think it's got to be the Radiomaster TX16, the fact you can flash it with an open source operating system is awesome.

Now I've got to find out what all these versions are!

I love this question, because here's my answer with regards to the Radiomaster: (Ive got a TX16S which i upgraded from OTX to ETX)

OpenTX is red, EdgeTX is blue.

Oh, and EdgeTX makes the touchscreen work, which i find almost pointless, the small size vs my fat digits standing in a paddock? More accurate to use the buttons/scroll wheel. So the touchscreen functionality adds no tangible benefit to me.

The menu structures, options, control of plane functionality they each give you are are all but identical. 

My hobby is building toy planes out of balsa, and flying them in a field. The two different (nearly identical) OS's do nothing either way for that.

Guys who like programming computers; or must have the latest of whatever the latest thing is, will wax lyrical about firmware updates, LUA scripts and stuff like that. None of this helps me build and fly my models, so i don't go for it.

Stand by for other opionions.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Dale Bradly said:

OpenTX is red, EdgeTX is blue.

EdgeTX is supported and developed, OpenTX isn't. Simple as that reallh.  As OpenTX already had all the basics, new versions of EdgeTX are unlikely to contain anything really startling, or ground-breaking, so they will be similar. Just like new versions of mainstream software like Excel will be pretty similar to the older versions.

Oh, and EdgeTX makes the touchscreen work, which i find almost pointless, the small size vs my fat digits standing in a paddock? More accurate to use the buttons/scroll wheel. So the touchscreen functionality adds no tangible benefit to me.

I agree partly, and don't use the touchscreen much at the field - selecting models, and a tweak or two to rates.. In fact, I disable it via a switch so I don't inadvertently press it. But I personally prefer it to using the scroll wheel........ but you have the choice, which is part if the philosophy of OpenTX/EdgeTX - you're not restricted in how you do things.

My hobby is building toy planes out of balsa, and flying them in a field. The two different (nearly identical) OS's do nothing either way for that.

Guys who like programming computers; or must have the latest of whatever the latest thing is, will wax lyrical about firmware updates, LUA scripts and stuff like that. None of this helps me build and fly my models, so i don't go for it.

As is mine. It doesn't make the building any easier, that's a fact. In comparison with other menu-driven systems, controlling the model once it's in the air is going to be pretty much the same. But you can do so much more with it IF YOU WANT TO.

I don't like programming computers - I do like being able to relatively quickly being able to do things in the logical way you can with OTX/ETX. As an example, I have an Ultrastick. it had flaps and ailerons. It took me about 30 minutes to have the following working fine, with all trims working as required:

a. Three flight modes with rates and expo on a single switch, some trims identical across modes, some separate

b. Conventional separate flaps and ailerons

c. Flaperons

d. Crow brakes

e. Snap flaps

f. Synchronised slow up and slow down of flaperons

g. Separate flaps won't deploy over a selected throttle setting 

b. Separate flaps if deployed, will be cancelled, if the throttle is above a certain setting (a 'go around situation).

It took a clubmate longer to just get his two elevator servos working together properly on a menu driven set.

I certainly aren't a 'must have' person. I use a Kindle Fire as my tablet - it's pretty useless but does what I need. My car is 13 years old. My mobile phone is 8 years old. I still wear clothes I've had for decades.... 

I've never used a LUA script. But if there was something fancy I wanted to do, the option is there. I'm sure there is functionality in all menu-driven stuff that I would not use...

Wax lyrical about firmware updates? Well, occasionally, I'm sure an update will be released that's a 'must have' but nobody forces anyone to update. And firmware updates are a fact of life for most modern sets now.

In summary, different strokes for different folks. OTX/ETX is all about choice and flexibility.  How  boring would if be if we had no choice, and all thought the same?

4 hours ago, Hoochykins said:

Pretty sure this is the version to go for? (When I get out flying don't I don't crash everything I own, I'll treat myself to the AG01 Gimbals)

IMG_20240423_022518.thumb.jpg.78b5c1507a8fb9a950ce8e25b0e16ae4.jpg

MKII with 4in1 is what I have.

Any reason you've picked a US(?) vendor? I'm assuming you're in the UK, and there are UK vendors......

4 hours ago, Hoochykins said:

Pretty sure this is the version to go for? (When I get out flying don't I don't crash everything I own, I'll treat myself to the AG01 Gimbals)

IMG_20240423_022518.thumb.jpg.78b5c1507a8fb9a950ce8e25b0e16ae4.jpg

You are putting the cart before the horse.
Join a club.

Speak to other members, especially the instructor(s).

Ask for recommendations.

Make a reasoned decision.

Purchase transmitter.

I speak from experience, decided to return my first Tx purchase as I realised that compatibility with instructor's equipment was a big advantage.