How Daft can you be?

Gemma Jane

I had a model with sloppy snakes running down the fuselage. Someone suggested I spray some of that expanding foam stuff inside the fus to support them. 

I drilled a small hole, inserted the little WD40 type spray tube and squirted some foam inside the fus'. I couldn't see how the foam was doing so I squirted a bit more, then a bit more........

You know the next bit....... the foam started coming out of every orifice and the sound of cracking balsa could be heard as the fus started splitting under the pressure  

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 19/03/2010 09:01:26

Advert

Reminds me of the time I used one of those syringes of fast foam to repair a ding in a foamy LE - the stuff is one-shot with self-mixing in the nozzle - repair the ding? I could have made another plane from the big blob of foam stuck to my lap He He!

That stuff is evil. I once had a clogged tin of it which responded very well, albeit a little too quickly for my likes, to sharp prodding down the outlet with a pointy thing - boom
The garage ceiling, wall, workbench, floor, and unfortunately quite a large part of my hair were unceremoniously splattered, and it sure does stick well dunnit

Having used a pressurised can of foam about 3 years before I tried to use it again .I used it (it worked) then put it in the shed . It was left for ages & when I looked at it ,it had leaked itself into the most incredible "modern art " shape . I reckon I could send it to the USA /New York & be a millionaire overnight & it wouldn't cost much in postage either .Only wished I could put a picture on the forum ! I know -but it doesn't work for me 

Posted by Timbo - Administrator on 19/03/2010 11:01:56:
That stuff is evil. I once had a clogged tin of it which responded very well, albeit a little too quickly for my likes, to sharp prodding down the outlet with a pointy thing - boom
The garage ceiling, wall, workbench, floor, and unfortunately quite a large part of my hair were unceremoniously splattered, and it sure does stick well dunnit

I might have laughed if I'd been there Tim 

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 19/03/2010 11:12:51:
Posted by Timbo - Administrator on 19/03/2010 11:01:56:

I might have laughed if I'd been there Tim 

I didnt!

Hi all out there. having read the evils of the expanding foam I can say I too have had the evil of it.many years ago in my working days as a furnace fitter etc. I had the not so pleaserable experiance of having to saw out a load of expanded foam that had been used as a shuttering on the side wall of a rotary hearth furnace the idea was that when the time came to operate the rotary hearth the motion would chew  the foam away. -you may have already guest it was not he case the damn thing just would not move & blue all the fuse,s & thats where I came in with saw blade in hand & on my hands & knees proceeded to saw the stuff out all the way round the hearth -two weeks of graft to & many scaped knuckles it was done ,& for weeks thereafter bits of foam kept churning out  in the hearth & flaring up. 

i used to work at lec refridgeration, and foam was used for insulation in vast quantities. one friends wife left him with lots of debts and took his car with her, he found out where she was living and filled the car with foam. as it expanded it blew out the windscreen back and front and virtually buried the car. the divorce was acrimonious to say the least

When I was designing an electric to nitro conversion, I went to a lot of trouble reinforcing the engine mount, then went ahead and glued the mount on... To a bit of balsa. a few days later I put the starter on and boing! off comes the engine

Also, before I knew anything about nitro engines I had screwed on an engine, while my dad was starting it in the garden, the bulkhead kinda came off

• 1 month later...
I was flying a 36" wingspan J3 cub, the yellow ones with the wing braces.  It was the last flight of the day as the sun was on the horizon and I turned to head back to me crossing the sun and losing sight of it momentarily.  Not a problem as they are very stable and predictable, and sure enough she emerged steady as a rock proceeding towards me.  As she got closer I was impressed by how steady she was, then a niggling doubt made me wiggle the controls.  Nothing happened,  This J3 was a quarter scale job flown by a fellow flier.  After a long hike in the direction of the sun I found my plane in the long grass completely undamaged.  Thank heaven for long grass and light planes.
John.

Fitting a new motor in my Wildwing I had to change the connectors from 2mm to 3.5mm.
Done that now to fit the motor. Whats that smell? wheres that smoke coming from?
I had left the soldering iron connected and sat on the bench, result, a large lump melted out of the wing leading edge

Latest daft bit.just finished my T.N. Hurricane set it all up on the bench tested the power unit for right direction & servo ops. then tested the power outputs with -you amps &watts ect. then came the test for rpm well put tranny down on bench ajusted throttle to idle got tacho set for the 2 bladed prop low behold I dropped the thing onto the tranny throttle makeing a grab for it  inadvertantly banging the the said thing wide open whereupon the model shot off the bench& you can  imagine the rest .""!!***^^^**and son.John

Well I haven't done half the things mentioned so far but, probably the daftest things I can remember was coming home from high school for lunch with a mate. This is back in 1975, and I used to buy my own Moccona coffee which was very expensive back then.

We were sitting in the kitchen waiting for the kettle to boil, coffee in the cups... the kettle boils, I immediately take it off the stove and turn around pouring the boiling water into the large Moccona jar instead of the cups....doh!!!! Anyway, the coffee is an instant (no pun) write off..... but its still a gluggy mess in the jar, so I thought... I know, I'll put on the lid and shake it up then pour down the sink.....

Result, the jar lid (which is to this day a pressure fit), allowed the pressure build up (from the disolving granules) for just so long, with the third shake the lid blew off... coating the newly painted kitchen (primrose walls with Aztec Gold ceiling) with a very staining brown, acrid smelling mesh...not to mention two white school shirts......Ooh! did I mention a very scolded ear ... from the hot water not mother. .she laughed ... but dad took it out with a hiding and I had to pay for new paint and I had to do the painting!!!!

I turned up at the field with my MFA golden eagle, a biplane, my first model after a 10 year gap.

Realising I had left the metal upper wing supports at home, I eyed up the half assembled monoplane on the floor and decided it looked like it should fly.  The ailerons were only on the bottom wings so no probs there.

It was a bit nose heavy and took the entire runway to land but it flew a treat!!  Those wings did look a bit flimsy without support from the other wing but it survived.