Modes 1 or 2

thomas salisbury

Which mode do people prefer 1 or 2 ?

I know 2 Is more close to real life flying cause I think mode 2 setup Is the same as a normal aircraft....

I have mine setup on mode 2 and have been practicing on the sim well a cheap sim but that will be replaced soon by the phoenix....  Hopefully .....

So mode 2 throttle on the left and rudder.... and elevator and ailerons on the right stick...

Silly question but Is the elevator supposed to be setup as to where you pull the stick down for elevation and push up for dowm elevation... ?

Just trying to check I have them setup to what they should be many thanks Tom..

Advert

Im not sure its a case of what mode people prefer - more what mode they are taught.

There is no right or wrong of course. 

Some people can fly both, maybe in these instances there is a preference - but the average modeller will fly only the mode he or she was taught on.

I fly mode 2 myself, you are right this has the right hand stick best replicating the control column or stick in a full sized aircraft, controlling elevator and ailerons.  It is for this reason that your flight sim set up suggestion is correct - although its less confusing to say push and pull - when the right stick is pushed forwards the elevators should go DOWN, and when the stick is pulled towards you the elevators should go UP.

Hope this makes sense.

Phil Cooke

I learnt to fly mode 1 many years ago as the group I joined recommended it and I flew for a year. After a 30 year total break I joined a club flying mode 2, so I thought I'd better go mode 2. I just couldn't get on at all, so changed to mode 1 and success was instant. Strange how the brain works. If starting out the best choice is how your club flies. Having said that, a left hander, like me may find it easier mode 1......

Personally I fly mode 2 - but as has been said it probably depends purely on how you were taught.

I'm quite happy flying mode 2 - but one thing that occurs to me is that mode 2 might be a slight disadvantage in one respect. There is a tendency in mode 2 flyers - especially in the begining - to ignore their left hand. You know sort of "set the throttle and leave it, and what do I need a rudder for once I'm airborne anyway"! i think this leads to a lot of mode 2 flyers having to put a bit of extra effort in at some point to get their left hand fully operational!

One thing that does interest me. I've been told many times that mode 1 vs mode 2 is approximately a 50:50 thing. Now this might be true, but it doesn't tally with my experience. I know a lot more mode 2 flyers than I do mode 1. I'm not saying anything against mode 1 - just saying it doesn't seem as common to me as I'm told it it is. Curious.

Maybe we should open a thread and do a sort of head count - not why or what are benefits etc. just simply state "mode 1", "mode 2" or "both"!

BEB

I have stuck with mode 2 on the sim I have and have pretty much got to gell with that mode for now so hopefully I will stick to that but depends on the mode they use In the club I tend to join I guess..

Fingers crossed It's mode 2 cause my brain Is programmed that way now ...

A head count on a sticky thread Is a Interesting Idea though would be keen to see the results maybe someone couls set the sticky thread up...

Tom.

started with mode 1 some 30 years ago - changed to mode 2 when restarted some years ago. So the break was long enough not to get confused. For my opinion: if it comes to helicopters mode 2 is the better one. For planes it is more or less the same. May be mode one has an advantage when hand launching a plane. (as you are on the elevator with you left hand)
VA 

Tom 
I spent hours on my Sim on mode 2 and trained my fingers to react accordingly which helped no end when eventually got a real flight with a buddy box and instructer.

I have now taken up gliding and at the moment feel  a slight awkwardness with mode 2.  Being right handed I use this hand to launch and then find myself scrabbling about to get my fingers on the right sticks.  Will try left hand launches or change to mode1

Any views?

Posted by TonyS on 05/01/2010 02:06:20:
Just out of interest, it seems to me that Mode 2 is more usual here and Mode 1 is more the norm 'across the pond'. Is this right, or do you think they also have a similar mix?

From what I recall of discussions years ago on usenet across the pond they regard Mode 2 as normal and Mode 1 as some sort of European oddity.

Just expanding on what I said in the "poll" thread,  I learnt 30+ years ago in the North-East - Newcastle Town Moor if anyone else flies/flew there.  Mode 2 was presumably the norm there as that's what I used.  I now fly in Surrey and struggle to think of anyone who flies Mode 1 currently.  I think I saw one person on Mode 1 in the last 6 months, though I don't remember who it was.  Somebody who I've not seen for several years flew both helis and f/wing - but on different modes!  Fairly sure it was 2 on the helis and 1 on f/wing.

On Hamish's hand launch question,  I'm not yet a glider flyer, though I have built one after spending a morning with two of our club members at our local slope - now just waiting for the wind to swing back round to the south!  One of the two flying that morning hand launches with his left hand - though he uses a Raydiowarm "trani mitt" so getting his right hand onto the stick would be a very slow process! 

Clearly left-hand launching is not necessarily as good as right-hand launching (assuming you're right-handed!) as you'll see at around 2 minutes 50sec. into my video of that morning!  Nice touch-and-go, Lee...

• 10 years later...

Rather strange question regarding mode selection & stick allocation if I may guys. I'm returning (slowly) to rc after some 25 years glued to the floor, having just achieved reasonable 4 channel flight. Returning now at 70+ years of age, I thought to myself, be sensible, go 3 channel & graduate again to 4 having gained at least some control over a model, when a thought suddenly struck me, which has caused much head scratching & grey matter stirring amongst my flying club compatriots.

Why, when learning to fly/upgrading from 3 to 4 channel, in mode 2, do we swap the rudder from right to left stick, when having progressed to 4 channel, you only swap back again? Especially if you're right handed when the more dextrous thumb is usually the right, should you move a control away from that thumb, only to move it back again when flying 4 channel?

Can somebody please explain this to me? Many thanks.

Personally I think that if you think you are likely to fly 4 channel you should not ever move the rudder to the right hand stick but fly 3 channel with both sticks, Throttle and rudder left, elevator right, mode 2.

I started with a 2 channel glider, rudder elevator both on the right stick. It very nearly cost me my first 4 channel plane.

Rudder you can leave on and continue a turn, ailerons if you move the stick in the same way, spins the plane upside down and aims it at the ground. The damage was repairable.

It took a good hour on Realflight and quite a few resets before my brain was fully reprogrammed.

I have never experienced mode 1 but suspect that its not an issue.

The primary steering controls - rudder or ailerons - is usually on the right stick so if flying rudder only thats on the right stick, if ailerons as well then thats on the right instead. Really you don't use the rudder much when flying 4 channel just for steering on the ground at take off and for certain manouvres. Exception may be certain biplanes etc which need coordinated rudder and ailerons.

Each instructor has their own preference but probably most (?) prefer to teach 4 channel and not bother starting with 3 channel. Depends what model you use of course, but most seem to start with 4 channel. You might prefer a vintage model which is often 3 channel and might be better for some people as it migh t be slower and maybe bigger. = easier to see and more time to react.

Find a club and see what the instructors prefer, especially what radio they use so you can have a buddy lead to their Tx.

I fly mode 2, but started with a single channel push button system followed by a two channel where rudder was on the right stick and elevator on the left. When I graduated to multifunction my first transmitter was mode one, and I struggled with it and changed the Tx to mode 2.

I fly both gliders and power models - some of which need to be hand launched. If they are properly set up I don't have any difficulty in launching with my right hand while holding the Tx in my left. I have never had any difficulty with getting my right hand onto the control stick whether the model is a pure glider, an electric foam model or a power model with two, three or four channels.

Malcolm

Hi All back in the early days of affordable proportional radio sets I learned to fly On the slope with rudder right stick and elevator left on a Sanwa Mini 2 function set £49.99 in 1977, progressing to 4 function in 1981 kept the turning/ailerons on the right, hence mode 1 😀😀

Regards Ray

Edited By Ray Wood 4 on 13/02/2020 20:47:17