Don't just stand there, get one up!

Danny Fenton

Advert

Okay I really would appreciate it if this didn't turn into a debate, Its my loss and I have to live with what happened. My heart actually goes out to Ian as I placed him in an impossible position. I would like to move on and put it all down to experience.
But my confession may act as a warning to others. Now I know you will all say, that always happens to somebody else. Well if the circumstances are right it COULD happen to you.

As I have already said we checked everything, even double checking wing bolts! The instant the model dipped I knew what was wrong. When Ian got it back I knew it wouldn't be for long. As soon as the model was down I said to Ian, turn the Tx over, he did and realised I had checked everything except that there was actually an aerial in the 2.4 Tx module. It happened because I changed my mind about flying, and put everything away. I then decided there would be no better opportunity and for whatever reason, that basic fundamental error occured. Absolutely no excuse.

I am embarrased enough about the incident as it is and hope we can all take the lesson on board and move on. I will put things in place so this CANNOT happen again to me.

It was a lovely model, lets remember that rather than the reason for its demise.

Cheers
Danny

Mistakes are happening - but i think you enjoyed the build as well - so you had part of it.
For us at the forum it was good entertainment over a number of month and we all (can speal only for me) have learned something.
Hope we read about your next model and don't forget a range check just before you maiden it
All the best
Gerhard
aka VA

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 17/10/2011 15:47:51

absolutely gutted for you ,

if its any consolation the techniques and tips youve shared while building have helped and inspired many other modellers along the way im sure, myself definatley included,

so in the BoB quotes that have run through the thread (cant remember wether its actually in the film or not ?) its gotta be said,
"never in the field of modelling conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few"

Ooooo no no Danny not that so sorry to hear about the Spitfire.
Seeing the notification on my mail thinking the Spit has flown but never expected this, but than again there is always that chance.

Well on with the next great model looking forward seeing the Hurricane come alive and who know's maybe we can do some doghfighting next year, looking forward going with my FIAT G50 for the tail of your Hurricane.

Ton

Sorry Danny! Gutted! Probably turning into a condolence thread but with some editing, a most inspiring thread to building a Spitfire! Good luck and "happy flying"! with the Hurricane! If you comming over to dog fight Ton I believe I am not to far from his location! Maybe we can we meet up for a warbird fest! My DB Spit should be done by then and my mate has a FW190 (1.9m) so all fitting the bill of action!

I am really touched by all your comments you have all been great. Thank you.

I must have watched the video a million times today, wishing I could freeze time and stick the aerial on the back of the module. Alex Whittaker sent me some shots of it taking off and it did look nice.
Dusty and Ton and anybody else that wants to join in, that gathering sound s a lot of fun and something positive to look forward to.

I have been doing some work on the Hurricane already and the underside of the wing is now fully sheeted. I am just working out the wing seat area, and messing around with the idea of trying tea bag tissue and silk covering. You know me and new techniques.

I am not sure if I will post the build i think you have all seen the techniques I am using now so its pretty much the same. The Spitfire after all was a testbed for the Hurricane

Once again a big thank you to one and all, there have been nearly as many PM's as posts, its really touching.

Tally Ho

Danny, I don't know what to say that hasn't been said already.

Your Spitfire was superb. The build, the finish, the set up, everything on the model was spot on. From our checking the model over, balance, surfaces, linkages etc, in the pits and doing the power test, I was filled with confidence that the model would go well. After hearing the unknowns about the power, prop set up etc we decided to take off on the minimum power for a good climb.
The model tracked well, the rudder having ample bite once the tail was up, the take off was straight and entered a healthy, steady climb at less than half throttle, showing the power train was more than suited to this Spitfire, and that prop looked fantastic too. The controls felt spot on, positive and well balanced. You can generally tell when its a 'good one' and this one certainly was. I can't remember fighting the sticks but like you say, when the model stopped listening it did dive and roll slightly, but this could be more due to an instant power loss to the big prop more than out of trim behaviour perhaps. I do remember running towards the free flighting model in a '27mhz' kind of way with the transmitter held high, getting control back only to be cruelly denied it a second later with the sickening loss of the fine model.

It's even sadder to know the reasons as you were so thorough at making sure I was happy with the model, but shows great character that you've openly shared the cause as a reminder to others. I do remember seeing what I presumed was the ariel plugged in on the back of the Tx, but realise now it must have been that telemetry unit's wizardry wire?

Hurricane time is nigh mate.

Ian.

So sorry for you Danny. I suppose the only way to look at it is moments like this make the good times so much more rewarding and it sounds like you've got the right mindset to put it behind you.

I use a Jeti module and I use their remote aerial cable to mount the aerial on a small bracket fitted to the handle mounting on my Futaba 10C which means I can leave the aerial connected at all times without it being in a vulnerable position in storage. Somehow, I doubt that you'll ever forget again but it might be worth considering a similar arrangement.

I must say that I'm amazed that the transmitter had the range that it appeared to have.  A word of caution - you might also want to check with Puffin/Jeti that using the module without an aerial connected hasn't possibly damaged the output stage.

Edited By Martin Harris on 17/10/2011 23:46:53

Martin thanks for that I think I will be on the phone to Puffin in the morning and ordering one of those, thanks mate.

Ian, thanks for joining in, it means a lot to me that you liked the model, I am always in awe of everything you create, be it a Flea to an Electric Wren. I owe you a bottle of something.

Cheers
Danny

I was unable to get to the ashy do for family reasons, but, eager to get the report, phoned Ian soon as i could, on the agenda was your spit, and the cause of its demise, i feel for you, i have followed the build through, with no comment needed, it was all such good reading, learn from this, and bounce back, the hobby needs skills like yours,
Ian was, by the way, full of praise for the Spit, i would love to see, not the build of the Hurricane, but the finish and detail work, thats where the build of a scale model lies

Thanks for sharing the build, and the reason for its horrid demise, if this saves even only 1 model from the same, it will ease the pain of the loss

Danny

I'm away at the moment so only catching up with news every few days. Just wanted to say I'm heartfelt sorry to see what happened there.

Thank you for taking the time to share your build story - In the process I know you've encouraged and inspired others to similar projects, to extend their skills and try new techniques.

Thanks Alan, I appreciate the kind words and I am glad you enjoyed the build. It is hard to know sometimes if anybody is really interested in what you are doing. But the comments I have received over the last few days have meant a lot. lets hope it does indeed mean somebody will avoid a similar situation.

The Hurricane wont be so weathered as it is based on a recently restored aircraft UP-W R4118 But I might be trying so new techniques that could be fun. And of course there will be plenty of detail to do. The entire wing needs mushroom rivets for a start

Thanks David, yes it is a shame. Would have been nice to have had a better ending to the saga. But it was not to be.
I am really hopeful that what you say is true and showing some of the methods has inspired others to give it a go. I know not everybody can spare the time to build anymore, it is a sad fact of modern life. But we must try and pass the candle on, as it was passed on to many of us.

If I can just add my own commiserations and say thanks for the build log, which is one of the very best. I've read it right through, and it’s given me lots of hints, tips and ideas for my own build.

I'm not an experienced builder, and probably wouldn't be attempting anything like this if it wasn't for build logs on forums.

I think I will be going back yours regularly for some time to come!

Hi Danny,

just catching up after a busy couple of days - been saving catching up on this thread (one of my favourites - as I'm sure it is with so many others) for when I had some time to enjoy it. So I've only just read the news. What a great shame - such a beautiful model.

I don't think I can remember when the loss of one model has been so felt by so many people.

Its the most frustrating hobby in the world sometimes isn't it - but not one of us would swap it for anything else. As you said yourself, we build them to fly - and sometimes that's painful.

Thanks for all the info you gave to the thread - you've helped and inspired a lot of people! That Hurricane is going to be a beaut!

BEB

Graham, BEB, Myron, Thanks for your words, getting kind of embarassed by all the well wishes, when it was my fault it crashed. I have always thought of the forums as an extended model club. You are all a great bunch. And you are right the forum is great.
You are coming along great with the Spit Myron, it wont take long to build, but to finish now thats another story......... I haven't built the version you are doing but any help I can give please just ask.

Cheers
Danny