Ebay sellers...

Trebor, if you have a hunt around this forum and others you'll find an explanation for what is happening here.

Essentially the seller is selling multiple items, and he could place a listing for the number of items he has in stock and then place another listing later when he gets more stock.

However the way ebay charge, it's cheaper for him just to place a listing for a very large number of items and leave it running. There is then the problem that when he runs out of stock he still has a listing in place and may end up with some unhappy customers buying stuff that he can't deliver... To get around that, once he's sold all he has in stock he edits the listing and bumps the price up to some silly value that nobody is going to pay. Then when more stock arrives he puts the price back down to the correct value.

Advert

Posted by Phil Winks on 12/02/2015 22:31:27:

Wiltshire that is basically SPAD simple plastic aircraft design, Google it there is an entire community of folk out there who build and fly nothing but corex airframes with great results

Edited By Phil Winks on 12/02/2015 22:32:33

Edited By Phil Winks on 12/02/2015 22:33:17

These models tend to be indescructable. The main problem is getting rid of them after you have got tired of themlaugh

I designed one about 20 years ago called "Blue Movie" The prototype is still in someones loft and I know of another in Canada that is still being flown ocasionally.

He says he is selling the Spitfire for a friend which always makes me suspicious. A look at his other items for sale show he is a trader in a variety of weird stuff which would also make me suspicious.

I use eBay regularly to buy and sell R/C items and consider very carefully who I buy from and look at their feedback and what other items they are selling. There are a lot of dreamers who have unrealistic expectation as to the value of what they are selling. Some models being offered are in such a poor state I would not want to be seen flying them let along expecting someone to pay money for them. They only belong in the bin.

When I sell I will avoid selling anything I consider less than perfect, I include the original packaging and instructions and take good photos so people can see what they are getting. I have bought some very good bargains on eBay and my buyers all seem happy with their purchases so it is a very good tool. Just be careful and study the details.

Edited By Jeff Powell on 14/02/2015 15:17:04

Posted by leccyflyer on 14/02/2015 12:53:22:

The listing title says it's a Warbirds replica Spitfire, the first picture is a Kyosho Spitfire, the rest of the pictures are a World Models Spitfire.

I like the line 'I am supplying a nitro engine with this aircraft though I am not 100% certain that it is the correct engine.' but doesn't give any indication of what the engine is.

Posted by Percy Verance on 15/02/2015 08:16:43:

I always cringe when I hear the words *nitro engine*........

I have a number of GLOW engines, some of which use fuel containing nitro whereas others use straight fuel with zero nitro content.

One wonders if such folk might describe these as *no nitro* engines?

Edited By Percy Verance on 15/02/2015 08:19:39

No wot you mean innit Percy.

Usually that term is used by people who's knowledge of models is derived from R/C cars and shows a total lack of understanding of the workings of a model internal combustion engine.

smiley

Posted by Percy Verance on 15/02/2015 08:16:43:

I always cringe when I hear the words *nitro engine*........

I have a number of GLOW engines, some of which use fuel containing nitro whereas others use straight fuel with zero nitro content.

One wonders if such folk might describe these as *no nitro* engines?

Edited By Percy Verance on 15/02/2015 08:19:39

I suppose you could always send a question through eBay and ask if the engine will run on straight fuel

But you're right. I always cringe, too. Descriptions that reveal the sellers ignorance about what is up for sale always make me suspicious, too. I wonder where the item was acquired. I except those who confess ignorance and offer a reasonable explanation.

Geoff

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 15/02/2015 12:40:59:

I think the use of 'nitro' is more of an age thing than a lack of knowledge. For those who grew up with this internet lark accuracy plays second fiddle to common usage. Especially for those exposed to US sites and IC cars!

Yo ! yes

I personally, put it down to a poor education system (5 out of 10 for effort. 1 out of 10 for achievement).

teeth

Posted by Peter Miller on 31/01/2015 08:49:55:

These days there is no excuse for poor photos.

This is one of the worst examples

Don't knock it, I bought it! £66 plus £15 for postage. It seems to be in good nick. I think I got a bargain. Thanks for the tip Peter.

I think "Nitro" is used as a marketing thing in the car world as it sounds sooooo much more exiting than "Glow" don't you think?. It even sound a little bit like "Nitrous". Wizz bang!

I sometimes wonder if these people are for real. I think that we modellers are mugs or just plain fools . Mr B is right when they try to lull people with the Magic word Nitro makes some think of Drag Cars and Explosives. I is not all bad out there I came upon a Graupner Kwik Fli kit last year the seller was a real gent the kit came as listed on E-Bay. It was a kit from 1968-9 vintage and it was as new from a model shop I kid you not everything but everything was in the box. When it was sent to me it was very well packed indeed and to cap it all the seller even phoned a week or two later to ask if I was satisfied it. To me that is good service wonderful. So my point about this is there are some very good sellers out there on E-Bay.

I agree - there are some great Sellers on eBay. Just before Christmas, I saw (it was actually spotted on this thread) a Top Flite Corsair kit with new OS120FS engine and new Spektrum Radio Gear.

I hit Buy it Now before I spotted it was collect only. I explained to the seller that I had a problem collecting it. He went out of his way to individually pack everything carefully and wrap it perfectly. He was incredibly helpful - really went out of his way. I had to pay the extra postage charges which were reasonable and much cheaper than the tank of fuel if I had gone to collect.

As a thank you I also sent him a Bottle of Wine.

One delighted eBay'r

M