Fantasy Formula 1 (Fantasygp.com)

the unmagnificent man

Unfortunately, it seems to me, Ecclestones lucidity can only be sharpened by large amounts of cash in his favour. I'm sure he has done a great deal to bring F1 to our living rooms but it seems the spectacle it is becoming now is losing focus. He's done a good job but in the intersts of F1 it's time for him to take the cashhe's got and run after all he msut have enough of the stuff by now. There's no doubt in my mind that when he does go that the finaces of F1 will changes dramatically.

Anyway, back to the racing, predictions done but can I turn around my journey towards the lower ends of the league? Hmmmdont know.

Advert

And so, for the last time this season, my customary reminder to you all - Don't forget your predictions!

After P1 and P2 Lewis is looking slightly faster than Nico, with the rest still well behind. Qualifying tomorrow and the race on Sunday are both at 1pm UK time.

Let's hope the championship result isn't altered by the double points, and isn't decided on a reliability issue...

One of the slow-motion action replays shown during qualifying today (on Sky at least) was of the front wing on one of the Red Bulls flexing as it cornered, and flexing to the extent that the end contacted the ground and left a trail of sparks. I thought nothing of it at the time...

Back to the action, I don't think Lewis can be too upset at starting on second. It's a better result than trying all-out for pole and pranging the car!

A good result, and in my opinion, the right result. Well done Lewis.

In the end double points made no difference, and neither did Nico's reliability issue. Even if Nico had not had the problem, and had managed to win, unless he could have held up Lewis so Massa had taken second then the championship result would have been the same.

No results yet on Badger, I think most of my predictions were wrong - but we'll find out later!

I'll be back with the final scores when Badger post them.

A class act today was in fact Jenson Button. It's a ridiculous sitiutation where as one of the best current drivers in the world he does not know what his future is in the sport, he's propped up his team all year and where is the upstart that's threatening to take his place? Magnussen is good but he's got a long way to go to match Button where it matters.

Maclaren have failed to recognise when they are onto a good thing.

Start of the day, Ricciardo.

Star of the future, Bottas.

Yes very well done to Lewis Hamilton!!!! I was cheering him on at every turn.......superb season and fantastic drive.......even with 3 x DNFs this year......he ended up a clear winner! smile

Great to see the devotion to Lewis of Nicole and his family......I had a lump in my throat and I have never met him lol smile p

Hopefully he can match Jackie Stewart with a 3rd title! smile d

Edited By Simon Webb on 23/11/2014 16:44:43

I've been (in fact the whole family, wife, two lovely daughters and two great sons-in-law) avid F1 fans for more years than I care to admit to but I haven't taken part in the fantasy f1 competition cos my heart rules my head and I would have had Jenson on pole and winning every race!! Was that a fantastic year? I love the new power units, I like that you can hear the turbos, the gearboxes, the tyres, the brakes. I love the cars getting all squirrelly putting the power down and I think the whole field has driven so cleanly with great moves and few comings together. It would have been a travesty for Lew not to have taken the title, what with three dnf's and 11 wins and I reckon he has matured this season to a really great driver and will be even stronger next year. If JB is not in a McLaren next year Ron will be missing a huge trick, the experience of Jens and Ferdy to develope the new car/power unit package would be a huge benefit. Roll on 2015, bring in on!

David - I think I agree with pretty-much all you said. And do join us next year in the fantasy league. As you hinted, it does sometimes take some effort to play the game according to what you think will happen rather than what you hope will happen! wink 2

And so the final table looks like this.

Modelflying Forumites - Passcode: 651923

Pos Team Manager Pts
1 Roos racers rk295 3002
2 Richfr F1 Richard 2957
3 Revers Racing Pete B 2944
4 Typhoontone typhoontone 2860
5 iQonics GP Racing iqon 2816
6 Robs F1 Legends Rob Lewis 2743
7 Webby F1 Racing Team Simon Webb 2737
8 IPJnet F1 Ian Jones 2718
9 Essex Racing Essex Racing 2704
10 CrackYak Racing Karl grey 2660
11 Mannschaft Erfolg erfolg 2612
12 JohnPs Plonkers JohnP 2535
13 Norfolk Flyers nss 2531
14 Darmy1983 Duncan Armstrong 2333
15 pits specials john stones 2087
16 I could not think of a team name Concorde Speedbird 1974
17 Lost the Track Dave 1731
18 rActive Pat Harbord 1607
Well done Robin - with a last-minute push, moving up two places to take the victory. Robin's score this round was the 8th highest in the whole of the Badger league. And tough luck to Richard, who's occupied the top spot for most of the season only to slip back at the final corner...

I'll be back later (this evening) with a full rundown of who did what and how they ended up where they did. Results as usual in google docs.

I must thank John for his work in running and reporting this league for the benefit of all of us.

I suspect i was not the only one who was tripped up by the Badger site, I have learnt you cannot have two cars from the same team selected in your team. Although apparently accepted, you loose a change, in my stupid case two. Also if you overspend, it does apparently go through, although again is rejected as a valid change, yet again a change wasted.

It does appear that the predictions are pivotal in determining how many points you will get. In my case, not very well. Often able to determine who would do well, although not how well. But I guess most will have cottoned on, if the car has a Mercedes engine, it stands a chance, most others, well requiring a very good design and better than the rest drivers. On this basis i suspect many were in the same boat.

My one fear appears to have been realised, that the race for many, is a fuel management issue (possibly becoming less onerous). I was surprised by one after race over radio complaint,"why do I have to reduce power (or words to that effect) and he never does?"

As for the noise, or lack of it, when compared to previous F1 cars and current F2 cars, I approve. No longer painful to experience, never mind hear.

So it is now on to next year! I really do hope that other power units can catch up and perhaps exceed the power and tractability of the Mercedes unit. If not I can only see Lewis or Rosberg being the next uncontested World Champion.

So a quick roundup of "who done what" this weekend.

With a storming finish to the season, and the 8th top score on badger, our higest score of the day, and moving up 2 places to snatch victory in our league is Robin with a score of 434. Once again, well done.

Second place on the day goes to erfolg, who with a score of 406 also moves up 2 places to 11th. Third-best on the day was Pete with 384, taking him up a place to 3rd.

Simon's score of 382 was our 4th-best, giving him an impressive 3 place gain to 7th. Also heading upwards was our 5th-best scorer, typhoontone with 354 points and a 4th-place finish in the league. Sixth on the day was Richard, who having headed the table for much of the season scored 334 and slipped back to second. Commisserations Richard.

Ian and Essex Racing both scored 324 and hold on to 8th and 9th respectively. Norfolk Flyer Kev, with a score 312 is one of those displaced by erfolg, and Kev slips a place to 13th.

Tenth on the day was Pat with 294 points, but not enough to move him up from the foot of our table. John Stones scored 290 and remains 15th, and I was erfolg's other victim, slipping a place to 12th with 268 points - also our 12th-best score of the day...

One of the big fallers was iqon, scoring 232 but slipping 3 places to 5th. He finishes one place above Robwhose score of 222 meant a one-place drop to 6th. On the same score and remaining in 16th overall is Concorde Speedbird.

Karl and Duncan share 16th on the day with 202 points each. Karl is our other biggest faller of the day, down 3 places to 10th, with Duncan staying in 14th. Finally Dave's score of 134 leaves him in 17th.

All the details are in (I'll get the right link this time!) google docs!

And so ends the 2014 F1 season. I've enjoyed it, I think we've had much closer racing than in previous years, despite the dominance of one team. At least, unlike the Red Bull years it wasn't heavily biased towards one of the two drivers in the team and they were allowed to race each other.

Here's to next year! beer

Thank you for all your hard work John.

I really appreciated it and always looked forward to your results summary, as the icing on the cake to the race itself.

So pleased I got 7th. Imagine if I hadn't missed those 2 races I missed!!! I might have been on our "podium" smile d

Yes indeed....Until next year......thanks to everyone who took part thumbs up

Edited By Simon Webb on 24/11/2014 20:07:31

Phew, I just snuck onto the podium there... congrats to Robin!teeth 2

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the Fantasy League really does add an extra dimension to the enjoyment of F1 and once again, we've had a season that seemed as competitive as the real thing. It's not easy to put partisanship to one side for the sake of the game - I'm sure there might have been a few more points for me if I hadn't let heart rule head from time to time... but it's been great fun smile

Echoing others' comments, I'd too like to thank John for crunching the numbers thumbs up

March seems a long way away....

Pete

Thanks for all the thanks! It's been fun doing it - believe me, I wouldn't do it if it wasn't!

Now, if Rob, Richard and Pete can give me some pointers for team selection and predictions for 2015... teeth 2

See you all back here next March I hope! (14 March qualifying, 15 March for the race.) Now, don't forget your predictions... wink 2

• 4 weeks later...

Nah, the right guy got itteeth 2

Just waiting for the email now, Nigel - apologies to everyone who wasn't expecting a PM notification on this thread in the close season!

Pete

ps it's just come through so it's working for me... I'll bin these posts in a few minutes

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 22/12/2014 13:19:34