Fantasy Formula 1 (Fantasygp.com)

the unmagnificent man

Evening all!

With the Channel4 highlights programme coming towards the end,  it's time - for the last time this year - to see how we all scored today.  Remember that Tony needs to score 56 points more than John S to catch him at the top of the league,  and more than that to beat him...

Pos League
Rank
Team Manager Pts
1 1 0 Pitts Specials john stones 191
2 3 0 Iqonic racing iqon 184
3 4 0 GASTON Formula Chris McG 180
4 6 1 DMFC Racing Team Simon Webb 167
5 2 0 Essex Racing Tony Clark 165
6 8 0 PSS Power Flyer 156
7 15 0 teewrex John Tee 154
8 5 1 Revers Racing Pete B 152
9 10 0 Hans Brake Zoonie 145
10 12 1 Mannschaft Carl Brotherton 144
11 11 0 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 127
12 9 0 The JP Specials johnpflyrc 120
13 7 2 LetsGoTotoLetsGo GrumpyGnome 119
14 13 1 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 111
15 14 0 Oyster f1 Glenn Philbrick 99
16 16 0 Torque of the devil Stu 68

And top spot today is taken by John S with 191 points.

Second today is Iqon with 184 points.

And third today is Chris with 180 points.

Well done to today's top three!

Well I think we all know that John S must have held on to top place overall,  but let's check the chart for confirmation;

Pos League
Rank
Team Manager Pts
1 1 0 Pitts Specials john stones 4220
2 2 0 Essex Racing Tony Clark 4138
3 3 0 Iqonic racing iqon 4006
4 4 0 GASTON Formula Chris McG 3948
5 5 1 Revers Racing Pete B 3701
6 6 1 DMFC Racing Team Simon Webb 3694
= 7 2 LetsGoTotoLetsGo GrumpyGnome 3694
8 8 0 PSS Power Flyer 3545
9 9 0 The JP Specials johnpflyrc 3485
10 10 0 Hans Brake Zoonie 3362
11 11 0 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 3278
12 12 1 Mannschaft Carl Brotherton 3266
13 13 1 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 3245
14 14 0 Oyster f1 Glenn Philbrick 2948
15 15 0 teewrex John Tee 2804
16 16 0 Torque of the devil Stu 2588

And it is indeed John S who takes the title as winner of the Modelflying Forumites Fantasy GP league for 2023.

Well done,  John.  And well done to Tony in second and to Iqon in third.

There were a few place changes in the table today though.  Both Pete and Simon move up a place to 5th and 6th,  with GrumpyGnome having a good excuse to live up to his name today due to his 2-place drop to 7th (or maybe 6th equal - I'm not entirely sure what the difference is supposed to be between 'position' and 'League Rank'!)  A little further down the table there's a place swap with Carl grabbing 12th from Kev, who drops to 13th.

And so the 2023 season has come to an end.  2024 has a 24-race schedule,  starting on 2 March with a Saturday night race in Bahrain,  and followed by another Saturday night race in Saudi Arabia.  Pre-season testing is scheduled for the week before the first race.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well done to Top 3 in the race 😎.,....and well done to Top 3 in the league! 😎

Congratulations to John Stones on an impressive result!!! 👍

And a massive thank you again to John P for his amazing commentary and efforts throughout the year!!!

Thanks John P👍 .......and well done again to John Stones 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Big Congratulations to John S. for winning this years league and big thanks to John P for keeping us all well informed 👏👏👏

Essex Racing made three team changes over the course of the season ending with,

Red Bull, McLaren, Aston Martin, Alonso, Norris and Piastri.

End is season stats showed an average of 31 prediction points per race.

esdexAston Martin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Started with Alonso magnussen Leclerc

Red Bull Ferrari Maclaren

Changed to  Leclerc Magnussen Ricciardo

Red Bull Ferrari Mercs

Changed when Alonso dropped off.

2 changes made - 4 left.

Average Predictions more than Whatshisname at 32.

2nd year running ferrari let me down, wont be in team next year.

Predictions last race 55.......... took me all year to do that.

• Like 1

Congrats Tony Stones, Iqon, Chris McG and indeed all the top ten league finishers, as that’s an achievement I didn’t quite manage 🙈

Big thanks to John P for the diligent administration and reporting of results again. Your effort adds a bit of fun to all our F1 weekends 👍 

Next year my team will begin with Norris in it, as the upwards trajectory through this year means he’s sure to win the championship. Before you go and place too much at the bookies based on that hot tip remember what I said about my finishing outside the top ten, maybe I’m not the best at making predictions 😂  See you all next year!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Charles Pic said:

Big thanks to John P for the diligent administration and reporting of results again. Your effort adds a bit of fun to all our F1 weekends 👍 

Thanks, Charles,  and everybody else for your comments - much appreciated!  And it certainly adds an extra element of fun to my GP weekends too, running this. 

Some famous person once said that there's a very fine dividing line between genius and madness.  I don't think they were talking about fantasygp predictions and team selection,  but I believe we've demonstrated many times that they might as well have been! 😁

Here's to next season  🏎️ 🏁 🍾

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I am surprised and disappointed the various media comments with regard both Red bull and Verstappen. In that it is boring that they boring winning consistently. Why was Mercedes 7 year run much more entertaining?

I read yesterday that Mercedes F1 is being investigated for fraud, according to the Telegraph, I could not understand what they had allegedly done.

It also seems, that some are alleging that a least one team is trialling potential parts/concepts on some of their parallel teams in other sectors of motor sport. 

The stories surrounding Lewis Hamilton are almost laughable, I clearly remember the reaction of Lewis to the suggestion that Vettel could be under consideration as a team mate, "That will not happen". I imagine Red Bull would be similar.

55 minutes ago, Erfolg said:

I am surprised and disappointed the various media comments with regard both Red bull and Verstappen. In that it is boring that they boring winning consistently. Why was Mercedes 7 year run much more entertaining?

Because...

a) there was some inter-team 'racing'

b) the Mercedes wasn't always the fastest car

c) we had the entertainment value of Vettel vs Hamilton.... bit like wack races sometimes (Baku?)

d) Neither Hamilton nor Rosberg felt like Totos love child

e) Mercedes management are less odious than Red Bull

🙂 🙂

Grumpy, I think you may have your rose tinted glasses on, the Mercedes power package was by far the most powerful, allowing Lewis, on occasion to go from the back row to the podium. Also Mercedes refused the request to allow other engine producers to upgrade their packages to become more competitive. Supposedly it was the breaking of agreements (in one case apparently pre-race, and noted in commentary) by both Lewis and Toto, with Toto not enforcing what apparently was agreed, at least in part led to Rosberg, leaving the team, and F1.

As all F1 drivers Chico is very good, although Russel, Lando , and Piastri, could all be of interest to Red Bull. At the moment Verstappen is probably the best F1 driver at the moment, and his views will probably be taken vert seriously at the moment. Chico could well hang on, for at least a year, if less goes wrong for him.

Mercedes were totally dominant for a good period. Yet no media comments, other than the motor racing press on what was going on.

Hmmm, I have no issue with Red Bulls management. It just seems that Adrian Newy has to date delivered the goods (as team "head of design", just as he did for McClaren, before they fell into the doldrums. 

I do think that it would be beneficial to have an independent engine supplier, as with Cosworh. At least essentially all the teams using the engine were pretty much on level terms, power wise. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am surprised that there are no comments with regard Lewis.

IMO he expects that there will be teething issues with this years Mercedes. I am guessing that he thinks that before  it is sorted another World Championship, will not happen 2024-25. Does it also suggest that he is not convinced that Mercedes will be there the following year?

Ferrari are the glamour team, is he good enough to join the Kimi, Schumacher and Surtees camp of champions. Or could he find himself with Eddy Irvine or Massa, so near, finger nails almost grasping the prize. Either way, the PR, the sponsorship, and the immortality of being a Ferrari driver is gold in itself.

Mercedes now need another Neubauer, and perhaps a Silver Car again?

Always thought that Ross Braun  was never given the plaudits that he deserved, setting up what was to come for Mercedes, with very limited funds.

I wouldn't put Surtees in the same camp as Schumacher as regards F1.  He won multiple 500cc motorcycle world championships when he was riding 4 cylinder MVs and his competitors were on (mostly) Manx Nortons etc. and his solitary F1 championship is remarkable mainly because it made him the only person to win worlds on both 2 and 4 wheels.

I still think Moss and Clarke were the greatest British drivers, even though Moss never was world champion, because they competed in a variety of races other than F1 (tragically in Clarke's case).  Moss's Miglia Mille victory can never be repeated, but I think it was the most outstanding achievement (with Jenkinson's help as navigator).

Probably my age writing 🙂

John Surtees raced in many other car races - sports car and Can Am and built his own F! cars.  Motorbike champ + F1 + constructor beats Moss , Clark , Lewis etc or anyone.    Plus what a man - when his son was killed at Brands of all places he then put a lot back into racing safety.

Only someone like Marc Marquez is ever likely to equal Moto GP + F1 and he would need to start soon......