Fantasy Formula 1 (Fantasygp.com)

the unmagnificent man

It is very disappointing to find that this year F1 is not live on free TV in UK. It's such a pain to avoid news programmes for hours to avoid hearing the results before it's broadcast free. I wonder whether forum members have found any cheap ways to watch live?

Advert

Posted by kc on 15/03/2019 19:38:46:

It is very disappointing to find that this year F1 is not live on free TV in UK. It's such a pain to avoid news programmes for hours to avoid hearing the results before it's broadcast free. I wonder whether forum members have found any cheap ways to watch live?

I agree, kc, it's really irritating! However, living in France means I have a second sat dish aimed at Astra 1 (19.2E). RTL.DE broadcasts all quali and races live (ignoring the random beer adverts that crop up just when things get interestingface 22). I turn the sound down and get the commentary from R5 Live Sports Extra on the internet. The transmitted pictures are shared by the TV broadcasters and the commentary teams so the only mis-match can be the different times each signal arrives. A couple of years ago, the commentary was a second or two ahead of the pictures so I tended to hear what had happened before I saw it...teeth 2

As an aside, Formula 1 TV are providing an online live service in many countries (UK is an exception - Sky saw to that) so, as it is available in France, I had a look to see what it would cost. €189.99 for the season's races - far too much. Out of interest, I looked at all the other European countries - surprise, surprise, with the exception of Switzerland, they are all €64.99 for the seasonface 19

I queried it with Formula 1 TV and this was their reply:
I understand your point of view Peter. But commercial, legal and tax considerations dictate subscription price points in each country. Stay tuned on the official website and check constantly for any future updates

So German RTL it is then...

Gentlemen - START YOUR ENGINES - and may the best man win!!!teeth 2

Pete

Not sure of the house policy on spoilers, so I will just say that I was surprised to see a certain person on pole as I’d bought into the pre-season hype that the other big team had a significant advantage. I was even tempted to put money on the pointy-fingered one for WDC, but I suppose that’s why the media spins certain things the wrong way at time - to fleece the masses via bookies who pay for some of the misleading press coverage...

my, haven’t I become cynical in my old age?

well, I’m looking forward to the race tomorrow. So many talking points in this season. I see the one who had his daddy buy him an F1 team so he could go quicker is already looking a little slow against his Mexican teammate. Will be particularly interesting to see how RIC and HUL compare and whether Kubica can really deliver the goods after so long away. His driving was looking pretty ragged in quali and practice I thought. Maybe some frustration there that he’s sacrificed so much to battle his way back into F1, only to end up last.

Charles, the channel 4 qualifying coverage was due to finish at 1:30pm, so I personally see no problem in discussing it now. Other viewpoints are welcome!

But yes, I was also surprised that we just seem to have more or less picked up where we left off last season. Ferrari were said to have the edge, but it doesn't look that way - at least not at Melbourne! The Melbourne circuit is a bit different to Barcelona where all the winter test sessions were held, so who knows how the teams will compare elsewhere.

Good to see Lando Norris qualifying 8th in the McLaren, Sainz could also have been in the top 10 if he hadn't been held up in Q1 when Kubica tried to take lumps out of the scenery with his Williams.

Alarm clock set for tomorrow morning!

It's now just after 4pm and the Channel 4 folks should have reached the end of their coverage, so here is the first set of results for 2019 in the Modelflying Forumites league.

Or at least I would show the results if the "Paste from Word" functionality hadn't broken... 3 different browsers on 2 PCs - same result. "Press Ctrl+V to paste. Your browser doesn‘t support pasting with the toolbar button or context menu option" Bear with me...

ok - as a workaround for the moment... Here's a picture of the table!

capture.jpg

Ignore the highlighting on my entry!

Flying start for Robin with Roos Racers, heading our league with 165 points. Well done Robin - in the top 60 globally!

Simon scored 127 for 2nd place with Iqon scoring 123 for 3rd. The rest of us trail somewhere behind, and last season's winner seems to be giving us mortals a head-start with his score of 105. wink 2

Bahrain in two weeks and a more civilised hour of the day to watch in the UK! Unlimited team changes until then - I think I'm going to go and tweak mine now! (And also find a better way to post the league table!)

Thanks, John.

Well, ending last year at 'mid-field' and now starting the same... not good enough, especially as Pete is going to resume his normal top ranking very soon !

Anyhow, very lousy predictions job done with only one of them correct. Should I start 'hating' those Reds now? They should put the 'Winnow' stickers back on right away... ppfff... frown

Congrats to the top-ranking guys.

Cheers

Chris

Take 2 - after a bit of cut and pasting, here's the table in text form;

Pos Team Manager Pts
1 Roos Racers rk295ELITE 165
2 Team Webby Racing Simon Webb 127
3 iqon racing iqon 123
4 AnyoneSeenBernie johnpflyrc 118
5 PSS Power Flyer 113
6 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 111
7 GASTON Formula Chris McG 109
8 Pitts Specials john stones 107
9 Revers Racing Pete B 105
10 AeroArrows Bondaero 101
11 Torque of the devil S 96
12 Essex Racing Tony Clark 95
13 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 94
14 teewrex John Tee 83

Just wondering who "S" is? I recognise all the rest.

Re the problem of F1 not being live on free TV.

Pete B comment about watching RTE in German and listening to BBC 5 Live is interesting and a possibility if I buy a new satellite Rx etc.

However I found that Virgin Media offer Broadband with Sky F1 + BT Sport+Eurosport, for a price only slightly ( £4 month) higher than I am paying BT for Broadband+ landline + BT Sport. Sounds the way to go until I realised I might lose the e-mail addresses I have which are all @btinternet. So has anbody switched from BT and mananged to keep receiving e-mails sent to the old BTinternet e-mail address?

KC, my dad had a similar issue, he subscribed to BT Premium mail for a while (which lets you keep you address for £7.50 a month) but later moved to a Gmail because having your email independent of your ISP is always good - one less reason not to move to a better package elsewhere.

Also, oh my. I wasn't expecting my team to do that well! Certainly better than I did with the 1/10 buggy yesterday

Am I right in thinking its free unlimited changes for anybody until the second GP?

kc- I have been a btinternet customer in the past and my family have a number of btinternet email addresses that we continue to use.

In the past the email was still available after moving to another ISP. But then a few years ago they started to charge non-btinternet customers for continuing to use btinternet email. Initially it was a fairly nominal monthly charge (£1.60 springs to mind, though I'm not certain) but it has now increased to £7.50 a month. I have to pay that even though my current ISP is owned by BT...

One day I'll move us all onto other addresses, but for the moment my wife and one of my daughters use their btinternet address and no others.