Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 14/06/2016 15:23:23:

Not a new model, just new to me.

Kyosho FW TA-152

Saito 1.25FS

img_0044 (medium).jpg

img_0059 (medium).jpg

Almost set up on my Taranis, just a few bits to do.

Next job is to run the engine. But it has just started to spit with rain so that will have to wait.

Kev

I did the maiden today. In less than ideal conditions, wind at about 18mph (according to the windsock at Tibenham, apparently it is a 25mph one I am reliably informed), and slightly cross wind.

I purchased this plane from someone who had not flown it for approximately 2 1/2 years. The Saito FA-1.25 started with a back flick from compression and idled (a little fast) and throttled up sweet as. Taxied to the runway, lined up slightly cross wind, held in a small amount of right aileron to compensate, small amount of up elevator to keep the tail down and gradually opened the throttle. Did not need much rudder to keep it tracking straight and a nice steady climb out was the result.

Into a right hand circuit and flip the switch for the retracts. Gear came up and I proceeded to do a couple of circuits to get the feel. Put in half flaps and a small nose up was the result, lowered the throttle and straight and level flight achieved. The same result for full flaps. So flew a couple more circuits as I wanted to do a full after flight check she had not flown for so long. Gear down and into wind (just about) a smooth landing resulted. The idle was a little high and the throttle cut would not work, so a gentle bump into the grass at the edge of the airfield was the result.

Wheeled back to the pits to do the post flight and discovered that the fuel tank bung had come loose. Tank bay a little wet but nothing to worry about, all clean and dry again now. Reassembled and went to start the engine again. No dice, nothing not even a cough. Spent the next 2 hours trying various things. We were able to get it to run after some time, but each time the throttle kill was used she refused to start for a while.

This came with a fitted on board glow, which kicks in when the throttle is below a certain %. I think the battery for this may have seen better days, so I will be replacing that any way.

Shame I could not get a second flight, but hey that`s aero modelling.

Kev

Advert

I do not expect this to last long. As in my opinion far to heavy.

wp_20160714_09_36_01_pro.jpg

wp_20160714_09_35_46_pro.jpg

It is a Turnigy Riff Raff. The 6s lipo is incredibly heavy, even then there is a load of lead in the cowl. At this rate there will not be a church left in the UK with lead on the roof.

Also i have struggled with the flaps, as they would not work, due to servo or Rx issues.

Compared with some ARTF models, the build is pants. Taking PZ as a benchmark, a build takes 15 minutes, including biscuits and coffee. Again The Turnigy Arcus, 15 minutes. This however has taken weeks.

To date I am not impressed.

My latest is an own design 100S contest Glider but with Electric Power. Named "Cheshire Cat"

dscn3073.jpg

and markings by Tim @ ModelMarkings

dscn3074.jpg

Distinctive colour scheme

dscn3075.jpg

and wooden fuselage

dscn3079.jpg

Wing construction is very similar to Mark Drela's Bubble Dancer.

Carbon Fibre boom and spar caps

cc-100s-e-v6-poly.jpg

Hopefully maiden next week

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 28/07/2016 09:30:53

Very nice model.

I have noticed that both the Bubble Dancer and Ava models I have seen have very little in LE structure, the rest being pretty open structure, where the (closely spaced) wing ribs, TE are CF capped of edges structures. I guess it was a question of access at economical cost, or was it a wish to stay nearer to the late 20th century type structures?

Every time i have seen the sub fins on the BB and the Ava, i had thought, oh dear, very vulnerable. Yet i have never seen one get damaged.

Have you also put the elevator servo at the tail? Again when i first saw the arrangements, again I thought, that must cause CG issues, apparently not.

I am guessing that many modellers are able to build light and strong enough back ends to their models.

I guess it can fly slots out without much thermal lift?

Again a nice modelsmiley

Edited By Erfolg on 28/07/2016 14:30:32

Very little indeed Erfolg. The wing section is AG35 tapering to Ag37 (not AG38) at the tips which have quite a shallow LE entry. So the 1/16 sheet on the upper wing - extending to about 50% chord and lower sheeting to 1/3 chord holds the laminar air flow fairly well. Te coverinf behind the sheet is over the flat part of the wing section - so no sag anywhere. Apparently a separation bubble occurs at low Re and a turbulator may help if you choose to fly slowly buts its not designed for that type of flying. Needs to be kept at about 8m/s or higher.

Servos are mounted under the wing

Unfortunately, its not that light - weighs 1.1kg ready to fly, I was hoping for about 15% less than that but the wing has a full carbon kevlar spar like the Bubble Dancer. It should be strong enough to take a winch launch if I build a conventional fuselage for it.

Its built for Altitude Limited events, whether it will do 10 minutes from 200m is unlikely but I am hoping for 6 minutes plus .

My subfin adds a little extra area but its real objective in life is to protect the back end - it should shear rather than the boom break on a whip around landing. We will see.

Martyn

Edit - its not flown yet. Covering was completed last night

Edited By Martyn K on 28/07/2016 15:17:48

My latest model ?, an 82" span Avro Vulcan look-a-like, (I don't do 'scale' ) .

Scratch built in Depron and some balsa, twin pusher electric power, also with retracts. Based on a plan for a 48" span version but scaled up and modified.

Only two flights so far, both successful, though take-off on grass is tricky with very little prop clearance.

Flying weight = 8Lb - 12.5oz

Total power = 520w, (260w per motor).

Ray.

vulcan82a.jpg

vulcan82b.jpg

My choice of colour scheme, I don't do scale. cheeky

Edited By eflightray on 28/07/2016 15:49:48