Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

This is my Cartoon Cutlass that I recently finished. Looking forward to its first flight, though maybe not the launching, from what I read about keeping out of the way of the prop. Surprisingly, and despite trying to use the lightest and softest of balsa, its ended up quite a bit heavier than the creator's model, so it will be interesting to see how it flies.cutlass 2 (2).jpg

Very nice build. If you have not flown a pusher before, there are some things to remember on launch:

- make sure you have a firm footing and a good grip on the model;

- give the model a good hard javelin throw;

- follow through so your hand falls away from the prop, and

- don't hit you head with the model.

Ummmm .... bit hard to tell from the pic, but is your prop on the right way around? Looking from the back forwards, the motor should spin clockwise and the lettering on the prop should face the front.

Not sure if I should own up to this one but..

Made this morning from stock items. It is a pusher using a 130 W motor on 3 cells using elevons for control. I think I've got the COG correct after checking on a half scale practice (I think).

I've no idea if it will fly but has occupied a wet and windy morning...

img_20160819_160238.jpg

img_20160819_160322.jpg

img_20160819_160351.jpg

img_20160819_160419.jpg

Correction, I meant puller😚 I got confused between the front and the back...

Edited By Devcon1 on 19/08/2016 16:18:48

Something a little smaller...

f22 1.jpg

f22 2.jpg

f22 t40.jpg

This F22 chuck glider has quite a wide and deep fuselage, enough to cram in a receiver, LiPo battery and a UBEC to handle the power supply from the LiPo to the receiver.

The first purpose is to hand launch from a hill, hopefully picking up some lift and soaring. The second purpose is to release it from a host model and for an RC gliding decent. I have some reservations about the the bomb release, 1. the angle at which the F22 is mounted and 2. if that angle will cause the F22 to flutter. Changing the bomb release would be a bit of a pain but providing some stabilisation with a sponge block should be easily achievable.

Edited By Ian Jones on 20/08/2016 16:21:03

I maidened my Ballerina today and it almost flew off the board as they say - just a few clicks of up on he elevator and a tiny aileron trim which I think is due to the fact I hadn't set up the starboard aileron properly and it was a bit down.

post tesr flight.jpg

So one happy builder/pilot.

Geoff

Thank YOU, Peter, for such an excellent design. Its only failing is that you designed it for a noisy, oily glow engine devil but I'll forgive you for that misdemeanour, gladly.

Axial rolls, neat stall turns (something I only get right 5/10) and big loops, even on only 450 watts for its 5lbs. I tried a stall high up and really nothing much happened perhaps I should have put the rudder over for a spin but chickened out. Just need to angle the undercarriage forward a bit more to counteract the tendency to nose down on landing - I chipped the 13x6.5 prop tip on our hard runway and replaced with a 12x6, hence the power reduction to 450 watts from 650. Then a bit of extra decoration but the red/white colour scheme, similar to yours, showed up really well.

I'm very pleased with my Ballerina.

Geoff