Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

55b54813-2b1d-4bfd-959c-5050ec5e007f.jpeg75701af1-2ef1-4039-ba6a-d018151bd090.jpegAs part of my attempted personal flying improvement programme, I have bought the FMS T28 Trojan V4, which has been well-recommended. Supplied very promptly by the helpful chaps at Leeds Models, with three 4S 2900mah Lipos. I could go higher but the advice with the plane is 2600, so I’m sure it will be ok. I have just put it together and got everything working, I just need to set the control throws. It is beautifully moulded and looks to be well thought out. Fingers crossed!b511a210-e607-4f9d-95b8-4ee5fe9aa9c0.jpeg

20180313_101654.jpg20180313_101701.jpgthis is my second scratch build this last year. not20180313_101630.jpg yet had its maiden. it is a nearly 1/3 scale mdm fox and is 4.5 meter span and is 12 kg . the fuz is made by the lost foam method with epoxy/ glass and the wings are foam veneer with carbon and wood spar then the wings are glassed.

Ok it's not a new model.

I built it in 1988 and sold it to my cousin in 2002. He never took up the hobby, though his father, who died when my cousin was a baby, was very keen and taught me how to build model aeroplanes. I bought the model back from him last year and during the last three or four months, I've stripped the fuselage and tailplane, removed the oil-saturated wood, which made excellent fire-lighters, built a new nose to accomodate the LiPos and converted it to electric power. I hope to fly it tomorrow when light winds are forecast.

j60 electrified (3).jpg

20180313_123559.jpg

Not even slightly new! It was new to me six months ago but this is the first photo I've posted...

She's a Precedent Bi Fly 25. Built by my dad about twenty some years ago (while I wasn't flying) for a 25 or 30 two stroke, and sold on to another of his club mates after a few years flying. It was re-sold within the club a few more times, retired, got out, retired (etc) and eventually converted to electric - 400W or so, turning a 10x5, on 4S 2200, gets six minutes of airtime.

Fun to fly, but needs hustling along quick sharp like to get the best from it. It's a bit lardy (4 1/4 lb) and lands kind of hot - very intolerant of careless low speed handling!

Thanks trebor

It's not far off that. The struts have a narrow slot in the end, into the slot goes a servo grommet, and through the grommet goes a self tapper, into a plastic right angle bracket (possibly a cut down control horn). The grommet soaks up all the angles that aren't quite right angles, if you see what I mean. Sounds a bit imprecise, but seems to work OK.

I can confirm Denis' post above. The nylon bolts shear and the struts (which only need to worki in compression) do not hinder the lower wings departure from the situation.

The upper wing is bolted on with M4 sized machine screws and will likely need the ply lugs gluing back in, if the ground attempts to forcibly detach the wing.

I learned all of this, immediately after learning its dislike of low speed manhandling, during a landing approach.

The 40 sized one will be as docile as any model you'll find, I think. It has gobs of wing area and turns out lightly loaded even up to around 8lbs. Denis I believe has one of the larger ones.

The 25 is simply a heavy model for its size, with all the attendant characteristics thereof. If I scratch built on I think it would come out a pound lighter. But with kit wood... Anyway, keep it moving and its golden. Start jabbing in rudder corrections with the nose held high and no power and it'll drop a wing, which should have been no surprise to me. The trick to landing the small one is not to slow it up like a slick low winger, but to fly it in on 25/30% right up to threshold and then cut.

In truth it is a nice design and fun to fly, is a good aerobat, and looks great in the air. I would love a 40 sized one (which I think, is really a 60 sized air frame) - hence why I have a 40 size bipe project next in my build queue.