Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

I haven't weighed it but not heavy

4-Max 3542 1070 motor, 40 amp ESC, 10 X 5 APC prop. 3S 2200 battery. All actually salvaged from Miss Deeds after my stupid accident.

Some one asked if I had my Swiss Army Knife on me just after I had taken off. The idiot pilot took his hands off the controls to reach in his pocketcrying

Posted by Peter Miller on 08/08/2019 21:20:01:

I haven't weighed it but not heavy

4-Max 3542 1070 motor, 40 amp ESC, 10 X 5 APC prop. 3S 2200 battery. All actually salvaged from Miss Deeds after my stupid accident.

Some one asked if I had my Swiss Army Knife on me just after I had taken off. The idiot pilot took his hands off the controls to reach in his pocketcrying

Thanks, Peter.

Perhaps another idiot was the one distracting a pilot who had just taken off? Sorry about poor Miss Deeds; she must have been devastated

Geoff

To be very fair, the other "idiot" did immediately offer to rebuild the model. but it was THIS idiot who didn't say "ether wait or you can root in my pocket among the snotty tissues etc to ge the knife"

They only wanted the screwdriver onthe knife. That will teach them to bring their own tools!!

Just started to design the replacement.

Maidened this yesterday.

Goes like stink on a TT42GP.

Ran out of elevator on finals (dead stick) and it landed flat in a field of sugar beet. No damage.

CofG amended and it awaits its second flight.

2011-01-18 04.32.53.jpg

2011-01-18 04.32.47.jpg

I am sure I saw a post a few days ago where someone was looking for this plan or something very similar to convert to electric, blowed if I can find it though.

Many many years ago I put together a somewhat similar flat plate wing - the Stratos - a Hanno Prettner design, 1&1/2" thick foam sheet covered in wrapping paper, a sliding servo set-up to give elevon mixing and an unemployed cooking 40 on the front. I had the same problem with running out of up elevator, but not only dead stick but also rounding out from a dive under power - the only remedy ( if you were far enough off the ground ) was to push the stick forward to regain some control. Dead stick you are losing the prop' wash over the elevons that give control authority when the air flow has been stalled or the airflow masked by the high angle of attack that you progressively apply to keep the thing flying - in fact the same thing could happen if it was well and truly stalled under power and there wasn't enough height to dive out of the stall, as in slowing down on finals.                                                            R.I.P. !                                                                                                                                                                            Despite the above I built another 4-5 years ago, this time one with a big Axi on the front and a 4S 4000 LiPo driving it, same problems but still enormous fun but at least I now know enough about the idiosyncrasies of flat plate deltas to avoid ( most of the time ) the "E" Stratos biting me.

Edited By Old Geezer on 15/08/2019 07:54:47

Edited By Old Geezer on 15/08/2019 07:56:27

My Vagabond Senior is based on Bill Winter's 75" span Vagabond 1949 plan and his redesign for RC in 1981. It is scaled up by 50% to 112” span. Powered by a 500W brushless motor and 5000 4 cell Lipo.

The cerise red chiffon doped over mylar film turned out nicer than I thought it would.

The videos shows the maiden flights of both the 75" and the 112" span models. The wind and ground turbulence was higher than I would normally fly vintage in but I needed a proving flight before going to a flyin.

Photos show the breakdown for transport and storage. Carbon rods are used as joiners for the wings and to the fuselage. The white model is my 100" span Cumulus by Ben Shershaw.

p1040699.jpg

vagabond snr (4).jpg

vagabond snr at tarrant hinton.jpg

vagabonds (9).jpg

Build thread for the Vagabonds is here

**LINK**

Youtube videos are here. Mick Butler took the videos and more of his vintage videos can be viewed thru the links.

**LINK**

**LINK**

I had a lot of fun with that SPAD back in 2013/14, until it was cruelly cut from the skies in a mid-air with an IC model. Sadly the kit is no longer made. However, the top wing panels live on in my version of the RCM&E Sticky. I chopped the centre out and rejoined the panels flat to use as an aileron wing, as they were just about the perfect size and section. It flies very well.sticky.jpg

In a moment of weakness I went a bit electric!

Anyway it turned up promptly from Motion RC EU including the heavy duty U/C which fitted a treat.

20190823_144532.jpg

Maiden was a complete non event with loads of power to get off the deck, couple of clicks on right aileron and it felt very stable.

1/2 flaps and only used 1/2 of our short runway to land. Decals to finish

Summary, despite its war bird wing loading (funny that!) it flies well and landed no trouble, but might bite if allowed to run out of airspeed.

Well done Motion RC for the P38L Lightning

58f5dd4f-5be6-4bc0-92c1-6c54367021c7.jpeg

My latest build, a Sunbird 1.6 metre wingspan electric glider from a ‘cheap’ laser cut kit, an ‘interesting’ build!, there is now a version 2 of it that seems to have removed the really bad bits of the design (think I got it on eBay), flew it today in a bit of a breeze, really nice to fly

Ken

Last year I participated in "La Coupe Des Barons," a light-hearted competition for a French trainer dating from the early 1970s. Click on this link and scroll down to "Video Coupe 2018" to see the mayhem. **LINK** I competed with this model in spoof Russian WW1 colours built from a kit. I do not normally give my models names but I called this one "Boris."

baron ready for the coupe (2).jpg

This year, using the kit plan but shortening the nose a bit to allow for the weight of an OS 52 Surpass, I built an inter-war RAF version, "Bertie." Bertie is 11 ozs or 300 grammes lighter than Boris but I've retained Boris in case I stuff-in Bertie whilst practicing for the event!

bertie 2.jpg

However, the cowling on Boris needed replacing so rather than buying a cowling or modifying a food container I built my own. The front made from (6mm) ply, has similar dimensions to the firewall but I made it a few centimetres shorter. The underside is also made up of 6mm ply well ventilated with large holes, then some aluminium is bent over the structure and screwed into place. To me it looks as if I've re-engined the model with a Hispano Suiza! It's the first cowling I've ever built and I'm quite pleased with it.

boris with hispano suiza engine (2).jpg

PS. The wing on the RAF version is not off centre but the yellow covering on the centre section is. I tend to get a bit impatient at the end of a build! I have subsequently added a little Solartex triangle to make the mistake look less obvious. Both models fly well and I'm off to La Coupe later in the week!

Edited By David Davis on 01/09/2019 07:23:43