New site appearance

Advert

Posted by Mowerman on 12/07/2013 09:35:29:

The techies would have been better employed sorting out the problems with the old system (like the ads masking postings then blaming every one else)

Yes, we know it's a pain, Mowerman, but the strange thing is, each time a mod attends to an ad-masking problem, it turns out that it's because a poster hasn't followed the instructions on how to use the forum......disgust

On a more general note, I really don't think the techies have deserved the ill-grace and, frankly, poor manners that has been evident in a number of comments in this thread - they're doing what they have been told to do within the limits of the forum architecture and might feel just the same about the situation as everyone else here.

Be assured, too, that we mods are equally critical of certain aspects and the points raised by members are being collated and passed on. There'll be some more fine-tuning over the coming days, I'm sure, so constructive ideas, rather than just griping, will be very welcomethumbs up

Pete

Posted by Mowerman on 12/07/2013 09:35:29:

The techies would have been better employed sorting out the problems with the old system (like the ads masking postings then blaming every one else)

I prefer the old system even with its problems.

Mowerman, as I have said, on very many occassions, if you find a thread where the layout is screwed up all you have to do is PM one of the Mods and we will fix it.

As for "blaming somebody else" - well yes, I'm afraid I do! As someone who has the job of reparing these "car crashes" I can tell you that the vast majority of the problems where the ads go over the text is due to people incorrectly inserting photos.

The instructions on how to do this correctly are comprehensive and clearly available, hundreds of members manage to do it perfectly sucessfully every day, the Mod team are very approachable and happy to advise if folks are not sure, we provide a "Sandpit" area for people to practice in if they are unsure. All this, and yet people still come along, completely disregard all of that, assume they know best and then complain that the site "doesn't work"! The site works - if you use it properly, the way its designed to be used. If however some people choose to "make up their own rules" and simply assume they know how it works - then they shouldn't be surprised when they have problems! But even when they do - we'll still be there to happily bail them out! smile

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 11/07/2013 10:05:36:

Martyn - I never log in! Just check "remember me" and it won't ask you to login!

BEB

BEB - I have to log in whenever I change PCs - frequently between work, home and occasionally other devices although "remember me" works fine between sessions on the same PC.

This is much more of a pain since losing the "quick" log-in box at the top left as it now goes into the preferences screen on logging in. Do you have a way of preventing this behaviour or do you always use the same PC?

Snap Pete!

I'd also second Pete's comments on the rather petulant attitude of some of the posts. We are always open to constructive comment and we do want hear what folks have to say - afterall its our collective forum - but could we be a little less agressive towards the tech team please. They are tremendously supportive and helpful and in this instance are simply doing their job - and I think doing it rather well!

BEB

I echo Pete's comments. I am IT myself and it is soul destroying when you are told to implement something and are then the target of unhappy users who seem to think it is all down to an evil plan on your part!

The techies have responded as best as they can to the initial feedback and I, for one, see a vast improvement now the garish red has been changed to burgundy.

The only comment I would make is that on my PC I get a lot of wasted space at the top of the page - about the same amount of space as the header - so if I go to the top of the page I get white space, then the masthead banner, then the 'Forum Sponsored' ad, then the forum heading and finally get to the first post - but typically there is only enough room for the first 1 or 2 lines - so I always have to page down right at the start.

May be worth looking at.

Posted by Martin Harris on 12/07/2013 10:03:12:

BEB - I have to log in whenever I change PCs - frequently between work, home and occasionally other devices although "remember me" works fine between sessions on the same PC.

This is much more of a pain since losing the "quick" log-in box at the top left as it now goes into the preferences screen on logging in. Do you have a way of preventing this behaviour or do you always use the same PC?

I think this is a basic security feature, Martin, to prevent multiple access to one account, presumably based on the reasoning that a user shouldn't be in two places at once smile

TBH, I use the same machine the majority of the time, so it doesn't affect me. I can understand your frustration but better that than having your account at risk of being hijacked, IMHO....

Pete

Posted by Colin Bernard on 12/07/2013 10:07:58:

The only comment I would make is that on my PC I get a lot of wasted space at the top of the page - about the same amount of space as the header - so if I go to the top of the page I get white space, then the masthead banner, then the 'Forum Sponsored' ad, then the forum heading and finally get to the first post - but typically there is only enough room for the first 1 or 2 lines - so I always have to page down right at the start.

May be worth looking at.

There is a lot of white space at the top of the page, this is an empty DIV container 110 pixels high that looks like it is supposed to contain advertising, there is javascript code for something called AdButler Code v6.02. At the moment this is not actually inserting an advert image so hence the big white space.

If this advert space is not going to be used for a while then it would be worth commenting out the code or setting the DIV to display:none

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 12/07/2013 10:25:09

If the techies are only doing what they've been told to do then any adverse comments need to be conveyed to the person/s who told the techies.

I can understand and sympathise with the desire to standardise on layouts between the various sites that the ultimate boss ( Myhobby? ) controls but, really, if the other sites all look like this one then all I can say is, its a poor do. Shades of grey and black with a bit of burgundy thrown in. Really...

And I can also understand the mods defending the techies' hard work. I'm sure they are working very hard to implement the changes.

But ultimately, the bosses must realise that all the forum members are computer/internet users and visit many other sites. When comparing this effort to others, it doesn't compare very well at all.

But let me be absolutely clear FWIW. The site in general is absolutely fantastic. Ever since I joined, the site's "Latest Posts" page has been my homepage. I get everything I want to do with our hobby from here. I love it.

The only wee problem, in my opinion, is the new look. So come on boys and girls, get your fingers out and have another think.

Respectfully, Ian

Edited By IanR on 12/07/2013 10:37:53

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 12/07/2013 10:18:14:
Posted by Martin Harris on 12/07/2013 10:03:12:

I think this is a basic security feature, Martin, to prevent multiple access to one account, presumably based on the reasoning that a user shouldn't be in two places at once smile

TBH, I use the same machine the majority of the time, so it doesn't affect me. I can understand your frustration but better that than having your account at risk of being hijacked, IMHO....

Pete

No problem with the principle of logging in again on a different machine - just the new implimentation where the log-in pushes you off the page into your user details page and you then have to navigate back to the forum page you were on. This didn't happen before and is a definite niggle if you need to use multiple PCs (e.g. work/home)

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 12/07/2013 10:19:10:
Posted by Colin Bernard on 12/07/2013 10:07:58:

May be worth looking at.

There is a lot of white space at the top of the page, this is an empty DIV container 110 pixels high that looks like it is supposed to contain advertising, there is javascript code for something called AdButler Code v6.02. At the moment this is not actually inserting an advert image so hence the big white space.

If this advert space is not going to be used for a while then it would be worth commenting out the code or setting the DIV to display:none

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 12/07/2013 10:25:09

It is indeed an ad' space WF wink 2

I must admit I'm finding it far from easy on the eye. The grey forum posts in front of the pure white background makes it appear to "float" and for some reason I find it harder to read than the old forum. Sorry! It doesn't help that the forum posts only occupy about half the screen width. IE for me the new site appearance looks nicer but actually reading it is worse.

Am I easy, I am not enthusiastic nor particularly critical of the current layout etc.

I assume that there was specific goals that David set the IT people, it would be interesting to have a feel as to have they been achieved.

From a users perspective i have one major concern, will the site continue as a viable entity.

The second then comes down to userability, so far it seems no easier not worse than what went before. Although I did not think that some of the buttons in the headings were not as logically named as a dumb Kopf like me relates to.

So at the end of the day, if David is happy, the change works for him. For me, their seems no reason to be critical.

If you are using IE9 you may be finding that the Classified section's layout is appearing screwed up. Pressing the button on your browser to activate "compatability view" seems to sort this OK. The button in question is on the very top of your browser - in the address box - and looks like a piece of paper torn in two.

BEB

Seems to work fine in all browsers apart IE9/10 without compatability view. Visited several times, as is my want and starting to warm to it slowly. Change from the familiar can take some getting used to but on the whole I think I will be happy with it soon.

Ian

I've done my best to reserve judgement, but alas, I simply don't like this new version!...
I don't find it particularly appealing to look at and it certainly seems to have lost the easy to navigate features of the previous look.
Change for change's sake perhaps?
How about a poll?

If there is an improvement that I would like to see, it is just one, and probably trivial to most.

It is this little box into which you type your message. Could it not be pretty much full screen. Although its size is probably chosen to fit with the posted message.

I guess i am now asking for the messages to increase to the screen width. Then the window with who has posted the message could become a header to that posting. The adverts , would become page headers. Oh! perhaps things have to stay the same.