New site appearance

Advert

To be honest, it is not really any different, just moved the sections around a bit, so it is really the same site still.

I noticed that the thin red bar at the top where you log in needs a magnifying glass to read, all the space on the page and this is tiny, and when logged in the headings, inbox, friends etc, overlap as there is not enough room for them to display.

Other than that, still an enjoyable site.

Darryl

Posted by kiwi g on 15/07/2013 09:42:00:

Im just wondering if the dislikes are from the site change or if the dislikes just dont like change ??wink 2

I'm in the definitely not at all keen gang but not averse to change on the whole!

Can anyone enlighten us all as to why the site format was changed? Was is simly for the sake of something different or was the original broken? thinking

Pete, there were a number of reasons. But I understand a principal one was to bring all the forums within the group into line with a common format.This obviously has benefits for anyone who contributes across more than more forum, it also has "back office" benefits in terms of making the application of any future updates more straight forward and helps generally with maintainance. We are one of the larger forums in the group, having this common style means that new developments can be more easily trialed on one of the smaller forums and then migrated to here with more confidence that that they won't cause too much disruption etc.

There was also a general feeling that a "facelift" was in order - a sort of spring clean for websites, just to refresh the appearence a bit.

So over the coming weeks all the sites will move to this general style. We were not the first to go over to it and some are still waiting to be done.

BEB

Thanks BEB and thanks for the feedback everyone.

Our web folks are still tweaking and, Mart, they'll be doing just that soon and on other pages too such as albums and classifieds.

The days are numbered for one of our old 'regulars' where text slips under the adverts too.

These and others to come in over the next week or so.

I have cured my over write problem that was bothering me.......moved to Google chrome. Brilliant, all fixed now. Been having real issues with IE9. Lost and unretrievable contacts and able to log on etc,etc. Something has gone seriously wrong in IE9. Oh well that is progress and computer updates I supposecrying 2

Sure somebody said that before me but I am too lazy to read all messages under this tread

For me the information if I am logged in or not could be a bit clearer. In the past - at the moment I could see my lovely face (others may call it stupid...) I did know I am logged in. I don't need the picture - but a little info in a readable font could help. Why do I log out? well - as many others in this forum I use more than one computer to access - from my company laptop, desktop at home, smart phone down to my partners tablet everything is used

VA

Well I've given it plenty of time but I have to say can you go back to the old site please ? The new set up just isn't comfortable to use.

I don't understand why you have changed something that seemed to be perfectly fit for purpose !

I'm all for change but only if there is a good reason for it and the change is an improvement.

As has been stated before, Geoff, this change hasn't been introduced by RCM&E but by MyTimeMedia who own a range of magazines and associated forums. They have brought these forums into a common format across the range.

I've had reservations about some of the changes but I'm getting used to it...... smile

The good news is that there are ongoing improvements being introduced in the very near future which will, hopefully, banish some of the 'quainter' aspects of using the site and make it easier to use and view...... thumbs up

Most importantly, the user-base hasn't changed and we've still got a great bunch of folk here....... teeth 2

Pete

Hi

Is it just me or is this forum too slow to catch a cold today. Using G/Chrome it's taking forever to load or change pages. I've tried logging out and back in but to no avail.

Alwyn

Of course,  now that I'v e posted this it is suddenly back to normal.     surprise

Edited By Alwyn Gee on 22/07/2013 10:13:04

I am getting used to the differences now and not found anything to dislike so far.

One suggestion though, long long ago you could set to go to the last post in a thread( i`m pretty sure).

As it stands at the moment you have to scroll all the way down to get to it. When you get there and find just a `smiley` or a +1 it gets a bit frustrating, especially if you are catching up on a few days worth. It would be much easier to scroll up from the last post to where you were last.

What do others think?

Well I have just returned from holiday to find Modelflying is broken even more! Before the changes this month I could only post using IE and Opera but no insert photos etc buttons appeared on Opera. Hence I could only use IE to post including photos. Firefox produced no box to post in at all ( a problem which occurred after the last change months ago and which I reported )
Now all I can use is Opera and that wont show the insert Photo etc buttons. So clearly the programers are not allowing for people who still have older computers!
I use Win98 which wont allow the latest versions of IE or Firefox to be used, so consequently I will have to scrap a perfectly good computer ( which works on every other forum )if I want to post photos on Modelflying just because the IT staff are not getting it working properly. Every other forum like RCuniverse works OK for me so it is definately ModelFlying which is at fault!!!!!
Come on Modelflying be " green" and dont expect people to throw away perfectly working older computers just because your IT people are not up to the job! ( it is clearly these modifications that caused the problem --it worked before! )

Posted by kc on 22/07/2013 15:25:36:

I use Win98 which wont allow the latest versions of IE or Firefox to be used, so consequently I will have to scrap a perfectly good computer ( which works on every other forum )if I want to post photos on Modelflying just because the IT staff are not getting it working properly. Every other forum like RCuniverse works OK for me so it is definately ModelFlying which is at fault!!!!!

Come on Modelflying be " green" and dont expect people to throw away perfectly working older computers just because your IT people are not up to the job! ( it is clearly these modifications that caused the problem --it worked before! )

It is unfortunate kc but Windows 98 is now very long past obsolete. Microsoft officially ended support for it on 30th June 2003.

I assume you are using IE6 or perhaps FireFox 2.0.0.20 ?

You have certainly had good value for money from your computer, I wish mine last that long, but it might be about time to spend a little bit of money on getting a newer one. There are some very reasonably priced computers available.

Edit: You could install something called "KernelEX" on your Windows 98 machine and apparently it will give you the ability to install FireFox Version 8.

BUT - as a warning "Here be Dragons devil", I have never installed or used this tool so it could cause more problems than it is worth.

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 22/07/2013 15:50:34