Brrrrrr, winter's here, how much flying are you getting in?

Posted by will -0 on 14/01/2014 09:52:45:

It was up to it's usual trick of cutting out after 5-10 minutes. I suspect there's a hole in the clunk tube. Anyway after a few flights like this, I took the tank out and glared at it which seemed to do the trick as the next flight was a good 30 minutes.

I always reckon machines appreciate a bit of emotion when they're playing up. My car has some starting issues, but always seems fine after I phone some breakdown service or garage. Like a sulky puppy when you haven't picked up that soggy tennis ball for absolutely ages.

Flew my "micro fusion" this afternoon at our site near Lincoln ( UK )

Had my fishing thermals on, well warm except for finger ends, if it keeps like this until Easter then warms up I won`t grumble mind!

There was only 2 others at the field, which surprised me though.

Happy and healthy new year to you all.

Regards Bob

Well i have been out today.

So far the day seems to be one where everything turns out right, where disaster beckoned.

Firstly the silencer which I so carefully removed, degreased the screw threads on all components, applied Loc-tite, then finally tightened the screws on Monday. I had then checked the silencer for being secure both at home and whilst assembling in the car park. None the less it had came loose whilst preparing to take off. Fortunately another club member secured it at the field.

Even the take off was dodgey, coming close to disaster. After that the flight was OK, although later in the flight, power seemed down and pick up poor. This I put down to ICs not responding instantly as a electric model to opening the throttle.

Defueling the tank indicated I had about 5-10 minutes of fuel left, which surprised me a little. None the less I thought right side of empty.

Carrying the model back to the car, I found that my hand was covered in fuel, which I thought unusual. Then in the house I spilled fuel onto the floor, thankfully on the ceramic tiled floor, This I thought really strange. So I tried to empty the tank, which indicated it was empty, but I could hear it was not. There was only one thing for it and take out the tank. When I found that the clunk was doubled back on itself. A quick shake had the clunk where it should be.

All these little things could have spelt out "disaster", to day they did not, another day, things could be different.

Yes, you are so right John, life so often hinges on the turn of a card. On other days, where everything seemed so spot on, disaster strikes, without warning.

The take of was an illustration of how lucky you can be. The first attempt was abandoned, when a helper put his hand up and said/motioned cut the engine. He had spotted the loose silencer. A few minutes earlier, he had started the engine, we had both checked the nose high mixture test. No apparent issue.

The second attempt, slightly cross wind ( due to the field geometry), had the wind get under one wind. The attempt was abandoned as the model nosed over to one side.

The third attempt into the wind had the model running along, at full throttle, with no hint of flight. Tentatively the model was eased of, when the lack of airspeed and a moving wind direction had the model flying, but less than convincing. A couple of seconds later, the model was going like a bat out of hell, all was now well with the world.

Now the airspeed was showing at that time about 6-10 mph, later touching 15 mph. Not exceptional.

However in the air above tree level, the models flight pattern was telling a different story. Down wind the model was going like a jet fighter on steroids, going up wind, it was like a ruptured duck on crutches, barely making head way.

However, I did enjoy the session, the trial, the tribulations.

The wind made landing easy, the model alighting like a stationary feather.

Monday morning, I never look forward to the weekly shop, have shopping list, wallet, cards and bags. Of we go to the shops, by the time I was heading to ASDA, the sky was a clear almost pure light blue. Looking across towards Liverpool, a cloud could be seen, rising from the ground, several hundred feet rose a column of whiteness, topped with a massive mushroom.

I lazily thought it that Ince, or perhaps Ferrybridge power station? Hmm I thought, I cannot remember seeing that column for a year or so. Now my attention had focussed on the far Penines, as usual, no wind and the wind turbines appear to be static, probably a hundred or so.

Now approaching ASDA I thought, what a great day to go flying. If I only did not have to work, on my daughters house, doing refurbishment, the trials of being a father. Hmmm, better than baby sitting for them though, as my wife is doing.

By the time I came out of ASDA, i was thinking, could go onto the golf course, though. Yes you could if you had not damaged your indoor model last time out, and have not been bothered to fix it.crying 2

But you did get a useless Silverlite RC Trainer, a present at Christmas.

Back at home I quickly put things away, grabbed the model, or toy, in some minds and strode purposely into the park and on to the golf course. Closed for winter, being yet again water logged.

Much to my surprise the model did fly, even though the control system is so primitive. I managed to fly it to a discharged state, in the one launch. But it was apparent nose weight was needed. The model flying in a series of constant stalls. But pulsing the power differentially to the two motors, caused a change of direction.

I scuttled of home, stuck it on charge, put some lead into the foam nose, grabbed a sandwich, then rushed out with the model again.

This time it flew much better, being able to control direction via motor power, the proportional power control controlling height. All to soon I had again exhausted the Lipo, the motors shutting down, the model just descending like a shot duck.

Again I scuttled of home, this time to rush to the two daughters property to start decorating. Now if i had not had children, I would be so much richer, or would I, more money perhaps, but not richer.

My model has been charged again, tomorrow awaits. Primitive, a toy, but it does fly and is a challenge

Edited By Erfolg on 20/01/2014 17:25:21

"Brrrrrr, winter's here, how much flying are you getting in?"

Went flying this morning, 3.5°, no wind, clear blue skies, but with the sun right at the end of the runway! Anyway, despite that, the flying session was an utter joy because no one else turned up and I was able to fly across the runway thus avoiding the glaring sun. Another downside was that the frost had already melted by the time I arrived leaving the strip very wet. As a consequence my models ended up very muddy and needed a deep cleaning session. Who said leccy flying was clean?!

Today was perfect, though rather cold. In fact there was still frozen water and frost on the site. But, the air was still and perfect for flying.

Flew the AcroMaster over and over again. In these conditions it is just perfect. It just goes exactly where you point it. Even my knife edges looked good although, only to me, as I was the only one there. Ran out of batteries after a couple of hours.

With a bit of company, it would have been a wonderful morning.

I treasure days like today. Dry, crisp and frosty without a breath of wind. Flew my Sbach 342 50cc to my hearts content, throwing it around the sky for five separate flights. Frankly on this occasion it didn't bother me that I had no company. The only thing to overcome was cold fingers, but that was soon resolved after the first flight! Deep joy!

Being a creature of habit, the morning started, with a stroll to the newsagent for my newspaper.

Slightly earlier than usual, a look to the west, revealed a pink glow to the horizon, vignetting to turquoise blues, in random veins of colour. Absolutely beautiful, I thought. Not a breath of wind either.

By the time I returned home, I had decided that after toast and coffee I would be back on the golf course, that is before starting my working day.

I found one major disadvantage of early morning flying, the park was full of dog walkers. These I ignored and trudged of to the golf course. Heaven, sheer heaven, all by myself. I could feel that there was a wind drift, as facing south, i could feel a temperature difference on my skin.

Lofting the model up, conformed that there was indeed a breeze, as I fought to keep my primitive flying toy near by. However I found, that keeping the model at less than 20 feet, control was not bad at all. Just like a juggler I balanced power and differential motor thrust to keep the model flying in circles.

Eventfully I did loose control, the model landing, possibly 30 feet from me. As I strolled over, to pick it up, I heard an anguished scream. Something about come back, then I spied a dog emerging some distance away, emerging from a avenue of trees, that separated the park from the golf course. My god, that dog was travelling, towards my model. The question now was, would a old age pensioner travel 20 feet faster than a rabid dog over 200-300 yards. It was a close run thing, I tell you, I just won.

After waiting some minutes for the dog and its owner to disappear from view, the faint cries of the owner imploring the dog to this or not do that, growing ever fainter, I restarted flying.

Not many minutes later, the model flopped from the air, both motors dead.

Time to go home for a recharge. I will return at lunch time I thought.

I worked all morning diligently, to create that 30 minutes for flying. Unfortunately at home, I now realised the day had changed for the worse. Grey sky, more importantly, the wind was now blowing, far to strong for my model, even my indoor/parkflyer would not have been viable in that wind.

Fun was over for the day.crying 2

• 2 weeks later...

The rain has meant the river at the bottom of the patch has burst its banks again so the floats came out again today. Andy had floats on his H9 Super Cub for the first time.

floatfeb5.jpg

His old house was burnt to the ground a few years ago and he lost all his models in the process but the floats were the only model flying items to survive. It was the first time they'd seen use.

floatfeb2.jpg

It was a pussy cat to fly and, he reported, more stable with floats.

I flew the PZ Icon of course. It's not particularly exciting in the air but great fun just to skid across the water.

floatfeb1.jpg

floatfeb4.jpg

Adam flew his Acromaster with FunCub floats.

floatfeb3.jpg

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 02/02/2014 19:31:32

Despite the not particularly promising weather forecast I've flown both days this weekend.

Saturday was at Colley Hill in, it has to be admitted, fairly wild conditions, though I'm sure most seasoned slope soarers will have flown in much worse! As a bit of a part-timer on the slopes though, this was quite extreme enough for me at the moment... The wind at the edge of the slope was 30mph, gusting to 35+ and only foamies took to the air. It was quite exhilarating flying in those conditions, though it was marred slightly by an unfortunate head-on mid-air collision with another model. Both will fight another day (after some repairs) though landing a Zagi-type model with only one functioning elevon proved interesting.

Today, back on the Downs for some power flying. A bit of a cross-wind to start with, though that dropped a bit later on and was almost flat-calm just before sunset. Not too cold on either day, though I suspect there's some cold weather waiting to hit us sometime in the few weeks...

My faith in the Met Office has been further eroded this weekend. Having spent Saturday at St. Annes, having agreed to babysitting, on the basis of strong winds and driving rain. which was evident on the Fylde coast. I arrived back home late. So late that I did not even bother to put my IC, Nicad equipped model on charge, for Sunday.

So come Sunday morning, I was astonished and not a little miffed, that the sun was shinning, there was a blue sky and the wind probably in the 10mph region. So do I go to the field, do I take my ever ready electric model. In the end I decided to go the the field and leave my models at rest, for a even better day.

So at the field, there were other members of the club evident. As usual nothing seems to ground the Helicopter flyers, I am coming to the conclusion that they are all but immune to the wind. Although I stand back in admiration, as they go through their paces. Tick Tocs, must be dead easy, as so must be inverted flight, I guess you just bang the stick over to roll, then again, perhaps not, watching experts always leaves an impression of ease.

A minor emergency occurred, when a dog, belonging to a dog walker had fallen down the river embankment, and was unable to regain the river bank. The owner called the Fire Brigade, who sent two machines, the sirens could be heard for sometime before they appeared, having gone down the wrong lane, cutting locks of gates as they went. Once at the scene, the area was roped of, an assessment made, water trained personnel summoned, the situation was managed with a complete adherence to Health and Safety requirements. The dog was recovered safely, a beast of a thing, a head the size of a Lion with the body of a Bull. Although the situation was drawn out by the H&S issues, I was assured in a real emergency, much of the bureaucracy and box ticking would be achieved much faster, due to the practise etc.

Whilst all this was going on a DF went in on the other side of the river, which fortuitously was witnessed by members watching the rescue. Although reaching the far side of the river requires a journey of several miles, the model was quickly retrieved. Not least as the searchers could be directed to within feet of its landing spot, by the use of signaling and mobile phones. I cannot but observe that the Environment Agency, has created a impenetrable jungle in the summer, and a place where people can walk in winter. I have been told that Japanese Knott weed inhabits these banks, if so, should they not be required to eradicate the intruder, especially with all the hikers, dog walkers tramping through the area?

So although not flying myself, not a bad morning, pity about the Met Office predictions., they must do better.

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed that there are very few posts with respect to winter flying. The headline of Brrrrrrr is not really the issue to date, it is more about wind and rain. In some areas of the country it is about flooding, where hopefully not many modellers or others are affected, although there is a special affiliation to other modellers, who watch with fear as water slips ever closer to there building shed.

Here in the NW, on Monday, the sky was clear during the very early morning. As I went about my early routine I looked at the turquoise blue sky, with reddish pink horizon, with no wind. Being a creature of habit, Monday is not a flying day, certainly not a club day at either club, plus it is my shopping day, then property renovation. I pondered will this last, experience suggested that probably not much past midday, if the weather lasted in its present form until then.

On that basis, I decided that the day would start a little later than usual, I would fly my limited capability Sliverlite biplane, as my Parkflyer needs work on it, then testing, on the Golf course. Noise would not be an issue with either model being so low powered in one case, and slow reving in the other.

As usual, early morning the general area was flooded with dogs and dog walkers. Thankfully they make more noise than my models, as the owners gather in groups, dogs either pleased to see their mates, or feeling brave and wanting to tear some other animal to pieces. Them being on leads preventing the carnage.

My flying lasted probably about 10 minutes. It is a long ten minutes though, mentally lasting about an hour. As I struggled to both keep the model in the air and under control. I guess it is a similar challenge the SC modellers have, limited control, requires a bit of planning as what to do in principle, then a second by second assessment what needs to be done to carry out the plan.

So the half an hour had little impact on the rest of the day, as lunch time came, i knew it was the right decision, as the wind was blowing, the rain slanted down.

Since that day, there has not been any chance of further flying. At the moment, the wind is gusting to very high air speed, one tree in particular bends from upright, to the horizontal, when gusts hit it, the gutters around the lawn are filled with rain water. When will I fly again, is anybody else getting out?