Brrrrrr, winter's here, how much flying are you getting in?

I can honestly say that its getting lighter in the evening. I haven't actually noticed it, I have noticed howling gales, torrential rain but very little snow or ice...

So... resurrecting Mr A's  thread title from last year.

Is it building only or are you braving the elements..?

Edited By Martyn K on 06/01/2014 16:35:00

Had one lot of flying on Boxing day, but i'm taking advantage of the weather to get things shipshape. Currently got my Nijhuis Focke ready for flying, as well as my Black Horse Mustang and just finishing off the battery hatch on my Acro Wot, so i'll have plenty to keep me busy when the weather is good enough

So answering my own thread.

I managed to get out yesterday morning - the first time this year and the first time since mid December.

The weather when I left home was mint, flat calm and weak hazy sunshine. 20 minutes later the wind was picking up..

I decided to have a go with the AstroHog. I have replaced the aileron servos (MG966R) and set them up on separate channels.

However or field was very boggy - I didn't drive on, even walking across the field left severe dents in the ground where my wellies left an impact.

First flight was fine, the new servos and seperate channels have transformed the linearity of the roll - so quite pleased.

Until I landed. The AstroHog is a real floater - it always lands gently, but when it touched down, the wheels dug in and the model ended on its nose with a big dollop of mud where the carb should be.

So back to the pits (I was the only one flying) a quick clean up and take 2 for the second flight.

The wind had really picked up now.

3 attempts to get the model off the ground due to the suction effect stopping the wheels from turning and the model nosing over. Eventually got it away - a lovely smooth take off, but with all the palarva I forgot to star the timer. The upshot was I ran out of fuel on the downwind leg of the approach and had to bring it down in the next field (in one piece). Now far too windy to get it back - even though it was still quite high

At this point I decided that the gods were on my side and not push my luck so I packed up and went home with the revised AcroWot and FleaFli waiting for the next calm day..

Then spent an hour removing the mud from the model, the gear and me. It was very muddy.

Martyn

Gets some floats Tony..! AT least you wont have to worry about the mud

Our saving grace is that the high winds have brought down lots of trees (very high 60+ feet trees) that were classic model catchers. This will have weakened the ground somewhat so I am expecting even more to come down in the next couple of months.

Martyn

First fly of the year was yesterday, first in the park giving the Crack Turbo Beaver a maiden (get one it's brilliant) then later at our flooded patch. A river runs at the north edge of it and, needless to say, with all this rain, it has broken its banks pretty regularly over the last few weeks sometimes getting right up the field.

So we got the waterplanes out smile

Had a great morning in zero winds and neither Andy or I ended up playing submarines. I had the Icon, it doesn't fly much but comes into its own when we're flooded out or snow covered. Andy had added Funcub floats to his Acromaster and it flew well with them.

patchflood1000.jpg

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 06/01/2014 16:36:58

Hoping to meet up with Pete B and another ex-pat at my strip and get 2014 'off the ground' with a picnic fly-in! Pete B will have his Decathlon, Akrobat and the Bixler and I will be taking my YT Monsun, my good old Boomerang and my HK Zlin 50L for it's maiden flight (I hope!). I'll also be taking a FunCub for our friend to fly on the buddy box!

Weather forecast keeps changing all the time but here's hoping!

Terry

Posted by Tony Bennett on 06/01/2014 16:28:24:

erm

our field runs right next to the river mole sooooooooooooooo at the mo it is under 1ft of water.

i have not flown since the end of oct due to the rain and rain and wind and rain.

I guess you're probably a Leatherhead club member then Tony? Sorry to hear about your 'lake'...

A few of your fellow-members are also members at my club - EDMAC. Just a few miles away and on high ground with chalky soil. If our strip ever flooded then the whole country would be in serious trouble!

I've managed to fly at least one day most weekends over the winter, though by no means all. Wind and rain have been the main problems, at least it's not (yet!) been too cold, and once the rain stops falling we can go and fly immediately.

Edited By John Privett on 06/01/2014 20:33:16

Here in Cardiff the weather is so poor that I have not seen the flying field or park for the last three weeks. At least getting some decent construction time indoors; Magnatilla, Can-Doo and eying up one or two ARTF boxed goodies, Acrowot and the son's Addiction X, even looking forward to the Club's AGM next week. Forecast for Thursday is reasonable so perhaps that's THE day!

Mario

We try to fly every weekend preferably on a saturday because the field which we mainly use is crowded with footballers on a sunday. But if saturday is a no go due to weather we fly at the coast (the leas in south shields) which we were forced to do last weekend. I got one flight with the force 1 simply because i was just too cold . hands were numb. Its also a bit off a walk from the car to the site, making it a bit of chore carrying models and equipment back and forward. I have now ordered heated gloves off fleabay, and my plan is to wear them when spectating , then whip em off , fly , and whip em back on . the son is going to send me some military winter wear too so i'm looking forward to those arriving (i wont hold my breath though) I've also started on the 30cc sbach , so any bad weather just equates to sorting that out . In no rush to get it completed though , got plenty to be flying at the moment yes

Went to the field on Boxing day - the field was too boggy to get anywhere near and since then it's been wind and rain. I've probably spent an hour rebuilding a 90 4 stroke with a new crankcase (was Magnum, now it's an ASPcheeky) and an hour on the Mustfire wing seat, otherwise I'm getting the decorating out of the way so that I won't have to do it in spring or summer.

Been out much more than expected tbh ............. wife and son having riding lessons satuirday and sunday on a farm in the middle of nowhere which gives me a couple of hours. No place to do take off andf landings but a hand-lanch belly-land is fine for most of my planes. And I have been flying in winds far higher than I may have done previously

Only the Durafly Spit, HK Spad, Wot4 (ic) and Seagull Yak54 (ic) haven't had an outing recently............ which means these all have !

HK Spirit, C-Ray, Mini Ultra Stik, FMS Tempest, EFlite Sbach, Parkzone T28, PushyCat, ST FW190, Inverza, Elektro Junior S, Jamara Spacewalker

GG

Posted by John Privett on 06/01/2014 19:33:12:
Posted by Tony Bennett on 06/01/2014 16:28:24:

erm

our field runs right next to the river mole sooooooooooooooo at the mo it is under 1ft of water.

i have not flown since the end of oct due to the rain and rain and wind and rain.

I guess you're probably a Leatherhead club member then Tony? Sorry to hear about your 'lake'...

A few of your fellow-members are also members at my club - EDMAC. Just a few miles away and on high ground with chalky soil. If our strip ever flooded then the whole country would be in serious trouble!

I've managed to fly at least one day most weekends over the winter, though by no means all. Wind and rain have been the main problems, at least it's not (yet!) been too cold, and once the rain stops falling we can go and fly immediately.

Edited By John Privett on 06/01/2014 20:33:16

I'm another Leatherhead-ite. my EDMAC application has gone in the post today!