What shows are peeps planning on going to in 2014?

Advert

Heck, I hadn't even begun to think about it Ian!

I guess for me it'll be much the same as last year, start the season with Blackbushe show in mid-May, Wings 'n' Wheels in June, Hop Farm Southern Model Show at Headcorn in September, and possibly a second attempt at getting to spend a day at the Nationals in August - I tried last last year and got as far as Clackett Lane Services before having to be transported back home on the back of a recovery truck!

So after checking the details, here are the show dates and websites for the ones I'm probably attending;

Blackbushe 17 May 2014

Wings 'n' Wheels 28/29 June 2014

BMFA Nats (though no 2014 details on the site yet) 23/25 August 2014

Southern Model Show 13/14 September 2014

To be honest I don't particularly like "shows" as such. I used to go to loads - but after a while they were becoming a bit "the same thing" over and over a again. I not a big fan of "showline" style flying, very good and highly skilled and all that - but its a bit like watching 3D helicopter flying - you can admire the skill for 5 minutes but after that it gets a bit boring to watch and it just gives me "itchy thumbs"!! I want to fly - not watch other people having fun!

So, I tend to prefer fly-ins and the like. So the "big ones" this year - as last - will be:

RCM&E Fly-in at Greenacres in June. (I might add one of their other fly-in's this year as well).

BMFA Nats - yes it has a "showline" and no its not a fly-in, but there is simply everything there - you can meet all your old mates and the trade is simply "the best" at any event. So I'll "do" that!

I'll also do a number of local fly-ins at local clubs in the area.

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 19/01/2014 20:16:33:

So, I tend to prefer fly-ins and the like. So the "big ones" this year - as last - will be:

I'm with you on this BEB!

So besides the Nats, Cosford and Weston Park, the highlights of my season are the Greenacres fly-ins, the Old Warden weekends. Let's not forget the one-day meets at Ashbourne, Colerne etc.

tim

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 19/01/2014 20:16:33:

To be honest I don't particularly like "shows" as such. I used to go to loads - but after a while they were becoming a bit "the same thing" over and over a again. I not a big fan of "showline" style flying, very good and highly skilled and all that - but its a bit like watching 3D helicopter flying - you can admire the skill for 5 minutes but after that it gets a bit boring to watch

BEB

Totally agree. That's why I'm so pleased to see Much Marcle back on the calendar. Yes, there's always the odd bit of "crowd pleasing" nonsense like someone catching the rudder of a prop hanging 3D monster whilst the commentator yabbers on about it being incredibly dangerous, a world first, etc,etc but overall its a really relaxed, enjoyable and well run show. Its pretty much like just sitting back watching the flying at your own patch - just that the models and pilots are a few leagues higher smiley

Edited By IanN on 19/01/2014 23:49:18

Living in the West Midlands we're a bit spoiled for choice here, so I'll probably end up going to the "local" shows i.e. Weston, Much Marcle & Cosford. Also - depending on the weather - the Fly-Ins at Greenacres & Cocklebarrow Farm. When you look at that list, there's something for everyone within less than an hours driving time.

The Weston Park shows, (In the dark and summer on), Langar Warbirds, Nats, Wrexham fly-in, and other fly-ins that come up. Really don't do many shows, prefer the fly-ins, as you can fly in a relaxed atmosphere and still fly, without adhering to slots.

Do Weston, for a the trade, and it's a good show, anyway.

Might do Cosford, for one day, usually for trade and museum.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 20/01/2014 08:36:56

There are some good shows through the year but sadly, some very average shows too who assume that anyone who turns up with a familiar'ish name, a club model and 'B' cert must be a show pilot.....which they're often not. Watching a solitary WOT4 XL open the Southern Model Show last year being a case in point.

I get along to a few but, like BEB, I much prefer fly-ins where I can have the best of both worlds and where the diverse range of models flown (especially at Greenacres) exceeds many shows. I got along to two of the Greenacres fly-ins last year and hope to make all three this year along with the local Bickley events too

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 20/01/2014 08:51:20

up in this end of the country we aren't spoilt for choice as the other end.......and as has been said I think that possibly the model 'show's' have had there day to a certain extent......one time you could attend and be entertained and get a bargain to make the day out.....now a lot of the price's are the same as the shop's.....add to that the expense of getting there and paying to get in.......all in all a lot of dosh.......remember 'computer show's' ....what happened to them.......a few of the large one's will still go on......but the smaller one's will fizzle out(I think) ... my personal view....

ken Anderson....ne...1 ........fizzling out dept....

shows=shopping, though I have to say it's more window shopping than buying these days as few can compete (or even bother to try) with internet prices. Whatever happened to 'show special' prices?

With luck it will be Long Marston, Weston Park, Cosford and Gaydon LMA for shows, and Retford, Sleap and Greenacres fly-ins.

Rougham, maybe another. The problem I find with shows, on the contrary to David Ashby, is that they don't showcase models you can actually buy. There was a Wot 4 XL display at North Weald last year, and it was probably my favourite one, because we actually got to see a model we could (and have) buy/bought. I like seeing the big petrol warbirds and Vulcans, Lightnings etc but I also like seeing some more closer to home models.

CS