RCM&E July 2014 issue chat and feedback

Advert

I have to have a moan, i was quite excited to have a column in rcm+e about jets, but so far it has been a massive let down, this issue has really narked me off, if i was interested in a go pro i could look almost anywhere, and same for a smoke system, when starting out in turbines there is soo much to learn, tank set up, uat's rc install, to name a few instead we have stuff that has very little specifically to do with turbines, so far very very poor

Pete Lowe's DB Auster looks great - hats off to a cracking job thumbs up Looking forwards to reading how the bungee u/c arrangement works out, once it's been flown

Have had this kit in the loft for a while. Seeing Pete's version has promoted that quite a few places up the "to do" list

I have received my copy this morning, just 2 or 3 days after the June issue that the Post Office appears to have lost. On that basis I am a happy bunny.

I cannot but notice that the next free plan, is of tremendous interest. I followed the build blog and was impressed then. Never dreaming it would or could be a free plan. There is a downer though! I still plan to build the Cyril Carr Bronco. I also have a Balsa craft Fw190 kit I am planning on building.

Now for the rest of the content. My first impression is of a well balanced content, that is not narrowly focussed. Some very good pictures of inspirational models. Although I tend to aspire to ordinary, flyable, every day type models. None the less, does widen your vision of modelling, from FF (which i relate to much easier) and Large Models (where safety issues cloud my aspiration).

The article with respect to the CNC router demonstrates the breadth of model related topics covered. A bit high price for my wallet though. Much more cost effective (for this aged modeller) to go to a Laser cutting service such as our Cumbrian poster.

First impressions are very good.

Contact numbers and email addresses for MyTimeMedia, who despatch the mags, are available in the Subscriptions FAQ's page, Nick - see the Print Subscription Queries drop-down.

If their delivery method has changed, I'm sure they'd appreciate the feedback - good or bad!smile

I've noticed that my last couple of issues now come in a clear wrapper, rather than the silver polybag of before - and mine hasn't arrived yet either.....sad

Pete

I enjoyed the cnc article, but by the time you have bought a decent dremel to run with it you are nearing a grand which is just too expensive to justify. An excellent product but seems over priced at the moment for me which is a shame.

I've enjoyed the jet stuff but it as said, sticking a gopro on a model is not jet specific.

Glider looks good but too many projects unfinished at present.

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Just read the Thermal Soaring article - good info mostly, but one gross error: "for a given wing section (...) the more you load up a glider the steeper the glide angle" - not so! Best glide angle of any given glider stays the same regardless of flying weight! When ballasting a glider, all its characteristic speeds do increase, which is exactly why it is done. So best glide angle occurs at a higher speed (but stays the same angle!), as does minimum speed, minimum sink speed etc. The only drawback is that minimum sink does indeed increase in keeping with the higher speed at which we get minimum sink. So ballasting needs to be done carefully by weighing the advantages of minimum sink versus best glide at high speed. Full size gliders of course have one more option - to dump the ballast in flight when conditions deteriorate. For us it's time to land and unballast then.

Lorenz

Can I politely point out some rather glaring errors in the Fly Electric column by Nigel Hawes (P.35) with regard to the Sebart Shark S 30E.

Firstly the the span of the model is 1570mm (61.8in) , not the 1250mm as stated in the column.

The writer continues "Of tail-dragger configuration and with no dihedral whatsoever.............."

Well, my Shark S 30E certainly has dihedral, as does every other one I've seen. One look at the pics in the mag and it's evident for all to see.

Steve.