Rate switches

I have recently been involved with setting up Tx`s for other people and using some already set up. My question is, why does everybody seem to want high rate with the switch towards you? This has not always been the case and as an early user of these they were invariably the other way round.

It makes sense to have high rate away as in high throttle. Also the retract and flaps are towards you for normal flight so why not the rates as well since all switches will then be in the same position?

Why and when did this change take place?

Interesting question, Martin, and I wonder what the split will be between high rates with the switch 'up' or 'down'. I must admit I don't often switch the rates, and I don't think I even have rates setup on most of my models. But those that are setup have the high rate with the switch up - purely because it's easier to remember that high rates are with the switch high, low rates with the switch low, that's assuming the tx is standing upright of course!

I think the first radio I had with rates was the Futaba Challenger. I don't recall which way the switch worked, but in one position it gave the normal rates, in the other position a lower rate determined by the setting of a little pre-set pot beside the switch. So with that tx there was no choice - short of physically rotating the switch in the case!

Personally I have high rates as switch towards me and low rates switch away. this is because its easy to whack the switch away if the high rate is too much. also my timer and under carriage switches are on/up towards me, so my preflight is easy as all the switches should be set to away

Yes well, I set up my trannys visa/versa, to me, high rates, are what is normal, low rates are for test flying new and touchy models, so, as per light switch, you switch it on....... down, It really is a matter of what ya get used to.

Barry

perhaps a good one for a "New Poll"  one day

Edited By A.A. Barry on 05/06/2014 19:23:12

Up for low, down for high, didn't even occur to me that anyone would want to do it differently!

UK switch standard, down for on up for off, it seems intuitive to me that on means more of anything.

My Futaba Challenger and Fleet XP/FM sets were that way IIRC and I've never changed. The only thing I do now with Spektrum is group all my rates on one switch (the lefthand, elevator one). So if in control difficulties with a new plane I can switch rates without letting go of the Aileron/Elevator stick (mode 2).

Shaunie.

The brain cells are working again..!

Up = high High rate aileron for vertical rolls upward, all other flying done on low (normal) rate. High rate elevator for spins, all other flying on low rate.

Down = low

Pet hate is all rates on one switch. What a silly idea ! I often set rates at 90% high and 70% low just as a quick aid to help set the throws on a new model. IE you may find it needs high aileron but low elevator. Easy to do with split rates.

None of the above has owt to do with 3D "flying", to use the term loosely.frown

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 07/06/2014 10:41:37

I'm in total agreement that there is no right or wrong to this. I seem to have chosen against the majority - I select what I feel to be my "normal" mode on my preferred default setting of all switches away from me - as pointed out earlier, this is easier to reset to home than pulling a switch which perhaps influenced my original choice. This means that in almost all cases the mode that I switch to at some phase of flight other than Take-off or landing is high rates.

What I am struggling with is my choice of flap slider direction on the side of my new transmitter. For years, I've used the same convention as all full sized I've experienced of moving the lever toward me for flaps down. The problem is that my new one has the pivot at the opposite end and now neither way feels natural!