Rate switches

Posted by crispin church on 05/06/2014 20:12:12:

for me its

high rate switch up

flaps down switch down

landing gear down switch down

that's how mine are set up, it just seems logical.

At the RC Hotel they have the rates the other way round, which can be entertaining the first time you try them.

personally i dont use rates, its just one more thing to fiddle with in the middle of a "panic" i have allways used expo, then if i want more or less movement wiggle the stick further or less, but if i did i would go with the high rate switch foreward option as has been said the preflight is all switches foreward,

chris

High Rates are up, low rates and the swwitch is down. Logical and inbstinctive.

I usually find that the low rate that I set on the levator is about right for all flying and that I sue low rates on aileron for takes offs and landing and high rates for aerobatics.

Most people find my high rates on the ailerons are a bit higher than they like.

Once I've sorted rates out fully on a new model I have three sets of rates all on one threeway switch, seemingly opposite to most on here ie normal switch up high switch middle and full on 3D down. I don't think it matters so long as you the pilot know where you're at, it's one of those how long is a piece of string questions really

Up= normal flight mode.

down = whatever I switch into. I rarely use low rates but my aerobatic quads have self level and low rates switched in here. Conversely my FPV quad has it's aerobatic rates switched in here. Aeroplanes, if I use rates, are all switched down from maximum.

There's a bit more to this than meets the eye, which nobody has mentioned yet:

Modern transmitters have switches on the front face (where the sticks are) and also on the top face (where the aerial is). On the front face, "up" is obviously away from the pilot and "down" is towards the pilot. So which way is "up" / "down" on the top edge? When in the flying position, "down" is actually away from the pilot, which makes it the opposite orientation to the front face.

The terms "Up" and "Down" are therefore confusing, so it's all about what feels right to the individual pilot. I prefer to think of it as switch "away" or "towards" position rather than "up" or "down". I use flight modes and have the 3 position FM switch "away" from me as the low rate (or take off) position.

This logic appears to be supported by JR transmitters, which have a warning / bleep if you switch the tranny on with the FM (or any other switch - I think) in any position other than fully "away" from you. This effectively defines the default (take off?) switch position.

I don't think there's a right or wrong way, just what suits the individual and the equipment they use.

I dont think it is a simple as rate switches, particularly on higher end radios. I have my switches set up to control flight conditions, where I can have a 3 rates / expo on one switch.

The way I have my switches is all up is off, and I switch down towards me to activate. This seems to be in line with what Gary has just said.

Andy

Hi rate up, low rate down for me. That seems to be the majority so far, though imo it's whatever suits the individual

Don't use rates much, tbh. I maybe use them for initial flights, then I try to set the model up mechanically, to ensure full servo travel is used at my whatever control surface deflections I settle on, with a bit of expo if needed

Are we all agreed that once the model has been test flown that whatever rate setting is best for that model is then set on both rate positions? (i.e. same movement with switch either way to avoid errors)

Or do some people like to swop rate settings during every flight?

Posted by kc on 06/06/2014 11:46:49:

Are we all agreed that once the model has been test flown that whatever rate setting is best for that model is then set on both rate positions? (i.e. same movement with switch either way to avoid errors)

Or do some people like to swop rate settings during every flight?

I can't ever see us all agreeing on anything here, kc...teeth 2

As I mentioned earlier, ailerons tend to be the only rate I change during the flight. Low rate for take-off, stooging around and landing; high rate if I want to be a bit of a hooligan...wink 2

Pete

I use rates even after the model is set up. I do the same as Colin up for high rates and down for low, ie minimal throw.

The high rates are to fly the model in a sporty rate, and only usually affect aileron and elevator. However they must be powerful enough to handle take-off and landing situations as well as be able to put the model in a spin. I use the low rates and higher expo to help with scale flying and is usually set to give a nice roll rate at full stick travel, the elevator reduced to help avoid too much acidental pitch change during aileron use (mode 2).

Most Tx's will also allow this to happen via flight modes too

Wow! What a response. The replies seem to be fairly evenly split. The original question was `when did the change take place?`. Was it suggested by a particular manufacturer or have people just done it in the way which suits them?

Bob C, a visit to the R/C hotel was one of the reasons why I posed the question because it caught me out too: also the fact that all their gear is Futaba and expo is negative as opposed to my JR sets which require positive. Some interesting flying resulted when trying to get one of their models to respond properly.

Gary M, I think but am not sure that JR gives a warning beep if the switches are not set as bound. Usually just the flap switch needs moving. Shall need to check on that.

I find that when flying an aerobatic model it can be desirable to use all three rates individually depending on the manoeuvre rather than deploying flight modes, i.e. vertical roll or roll after a half loop - high aileron. Stall turn - high rudder. Slow or point roll - low rudder. Spin - high elevator and rudder. Three rolls in 5 sec. - low aileron (also for general flying).

I sometimes use high elevator for take off on dodgy tail draggers.

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 06/06/2014 22:06:12:

Gary M, I think but am not sure that JR gives a warning beep if the switches are not set as bound. Usually just the flap switch needs moving. Shall need to check on that.

MM - You got me thinking, so I've had a play with my JR DSX9 Mk2. It's not possible to bind if the flight mode isn't in the FM0 "away" position.

Even with an unbound clean model selected and the only setting being to enable Flight Mode, the beep is given if the tranny is switched off and back on. Same result whether the FM is assigned to the AUX2 or Flap switch.

If the Flight Mode switch in anything but the "away" position (FM0) the buzzer sounds with e.g. - "SW WARNING - FLAP SW FM2". This prevents transmission (and binding) until the switch is set to the FM0 position. It's therefore impossible to take off until the transmitter has been set to FM0 "away" position. Nothing of course to stop the switch being changed to FM1 or FM2 "towards" position afterwards, but this would defeat the warning the tranny is trying to give.

Hi Gary, I have never used the flight mode as intended, only assigned as a three position flap switch; also retracts moved to the mix switch to make these easier to find since JR for some reason known only to themselves moved flap and retract switches to difficult to find positions in the heat of the moment. This works well for me. Just tried it with my Mk1 DSX9 and the FM and original flap switch positions make no difference upon switch on.

There doesent seem to be a right or wrong answer, I guess its what you are used to. I have my rates low towards me, high away. I do this because I have my u/c and flap switches down for down and up for up, seems locical to me. As I start the flight in low rates I know all the switches (except flap) should be in the down position before I take off.