2015 Mass Build - Nominations Thread

I'd like to nominate the Avicraft Panic.

A classic model, available in two sizes for both electric and ic, well known for being a hooligan with the right power and throws but is also capable of being an excellent aileron trainer if kept light. I even FPV'd my electric Mini and now fancy a full size. Besides, everyone should own a panic at least once.

I'd like to niminate one of the cheapest, simplest and wierdest designs I've built recently! 3 channel with optional rudder, electric or .15 - .25 glow and scales up quite well for anyone wanting a bigger build.

Flies like a dream too! Almost unstallable with a simple mushy nose drop, flies slow or fast & happy either way up.

Anyone fancy the Sig Wonder?

I would like to nominate Mike Keay's "Basic3D".

basic3d.jpg

It can be built in either 52" or 58" span versions. It's designed to be IC but electric conversion would very simple. AUW is 4.5 to 5lb.

You can read the build article here and a woodpack is available.

BEB

PS More details, including the reason for my nomination can be found of the Nominations Chat thread

Tony Nijhuis DH Mosquito 46, a free plan in the June 2005 RCM&E.

Because:-

Very simple and quick to build with an all sheet wing.

Plan, canopy and CNC wood pack available from Tony Nijhuis Designs if you don't wish to cut out the parts yourself. Here

Recommended BL motor/ESC set available from 4Max if you don't wish to experiment with motor set ups although even cheap bell type motors could be adequate for this little model.

Very fast and flies on rails apparently. Been on my build list since ... 2005!

IC and electric options available.

The mass build 2015 should include a twin!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 26/09/2014 18:56:05

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 26/09/2014 18:57:23

Hi guys,

How about Glen Sutcliffes Blue Two fun fly design from 1995 Radio Modeller 40 ins span took a 15 size glow with 4 standard servos looks a little like Mike Keays basic 3d practicle if nothing else and worthy of nominating. Should go well on leccy, maybe a 200-300 watt set up at a guess. Just a pity I don't have a picture 

Steve smiley

Edited By Steve Adams on 26/09/2014 19:34:24

Posted by john stones 1 on 30/09/2014 17:43:08:

That looks interesting Darren

What size you thinking ? this one won't break the bank.

John

**LINK**

I have at 1295mm plan from

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/16224/rm134--bowers-fly-baby

just noticed this is the same as you suggested. I brought this plan to convert it to a Junkers CL1. But I think it would be a good build as it is

Edited By Darran on 30/09/2014 20:31:36

Some good ones here. I like the idea of us building one of those models that are all time classics, something everyone should try. I nominate Carl Goldberg's Gentle Lady glider design which is 35 years old next year. It is a simple but iconic design that will evoke tales of adventure from anyone who has flown gliders for a while. It's a 2m span rudder and elevator control glider. Easy to modify for spoilers and if you have to have a motor you can build the electric variant with a motor called the Electra. Plans are freely available and a complete kit costs about £55. It makes an excellent trainer because it's easy to build and fly but it is also fun. One of those models that everyone should try out. Launch from a slope in light wind or from a field with a simple 'hi start' made of rubber tubing and fishing line. Catching thermals is incredibly addictive.

How about Versatility by Ian Stockdale. On two plans you get three versions for electric power.

A high wing trike undercarriage 3 channel trainer, a 4 channel wing for intermediate aerobatics, which uses the same fuselage, and a low wing tail dragger which uses the same 4 channel wing which will do all normal aerobatics, Building looks very straightforward with few pitfalls.

LINK

I would like to nominate the late Derek Woodward's VSP (Very Short Plane), a 36in span very lightweight aerobatic model for small Brushless motors (or a Cox .049 or similar IC conversion if you are up for it). The model plan (MW 3431- £12) or CNC wood pack is available here at modest cost so it wont break the bank either. Suitable for the novice builder/pilot or as a great quick build fun model for the more experienced. Buy the back number March 2010 Q&EFI magazine with the build article and you get the plan for free!

There is a video of it flying here. Enjoy.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 04/10/2014 03:38:22

I'm up for the V.S.P as well. A brilliant little plane, I fly mine with a 1300 3S and about 140W so the power bits don't cost much. Simple construction, the wing tips and the a.m.t. fin and rudder outline are laminated balsa. In spite of its short moment arm the plane is stable but very responsive. I'm not a hotshot aerobatics flyer but it can do big loops, flick rolls and great stall turns. If I crash I'll just get out the plan and get building a replacement. V.S.P!