2015 Mass Build - Nominations Thread

Hi,

well gluttons for punishment that we are it looks like there is interest in a Mass Build for 2015. smile This will be the 5th year the Mass Build has run.

Before we begin can I just establish a few guidelines that will help to ensure your nomination has a better chance of getting adopted.

1. The model needs to constitute a reasonably straight forward build. Complex models are very unlikely to win.

2. It needs to be able to be either IC or Electric powered. A model which cannot be built either way - or easily adapted - is again very unlikely to command the sort of following needed to win.

3. It needs to be economical to build and so a sensible size - most previous winners have been in the 30-40" span bracket. Large models which require long material lists will not be popular.

4. try to keep in mind that a major part of the point of the Mass Build is a way of encouraging modellers who are new to building to "have a go". So while the "old hands" may fancy something exotic, such models are really outside the spirit of the activity. Experienced modellers are encouraged to "customise" their build to show what can be done based on a standard plan/kit, but the basic model should be something simple and relatively easy to build and fly.

5. To give you an idea models that have been winners in previous Mass Builds include; Steve Webb's the Webbit, Nigel Hawes Tucano, Lindsay Todd's Dawn Flyer, Ron Laden's Pushy Cat and the Mini Jazz. Take a look at them and you'll get the idea of what tends to be popular.

6. The model can be a plan, with or without a wood pack, or a kit. But obviously not an ARTF! Note: any plans/kits are allowed. Contrary to what some folks seem to think this is not restricted in any way to RCM&E models - as long as the plan etc is available from somewhere!

7. The more detail you can provide about your nomination the more likely it is to do well. So, source of plan or kit, is there a woodpack, who designed it and a picture would be very helpful.

Please just nominate the model here. Do not discuss nominations here, there is a separate "nominations chat thread" where you are welcome to discuss the pros and cons. But here please restrict yourself to just the details of your nomination. That makes it easier for us to keep track and folks to look through the catalogue of nominations when it comes to voting time.

OK, I think that is everything - Ahem, Ahem,...

I declare the 2015 Mass Build Nominations Process officially open!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 18/09/2014 10:36:31

how about the 'project X' Nigels new one, the plan will be free in the magazine (I assume) everyone can get the magazine without having to order the plan separate, will probably bump the sales up, it can be built either e power or ic, with/without ailerons, taildragger or trike. great start for a newcomer and all the experienced flyers probably forget how much fun can be had with a basic model. experienced builders can probably add a few tweaks, and it would show new people what is possible, what is there not to like about it.

I would like to suggest a twist. My suggestion is that we build a RedEagle. We can then have a 'Postal' (in reality e-mail/or post here) contest for the next 5 months (June to Oct incl) to simple rules:

1. Battery voltage limit

2. Maximum motor Run Time (say - 15secs). Flight will have only a single run (timekeeper to time/observe)

3. Spot timing - set target at 8:00 score measured in seconds either side of the target

4. Timekeeper posts results

5. 3 Flights per month - must be declared as scoring before the flight. Flights can be taken any day/time in the month and not necessarily on the same day.

6. Scores will be normalised to 1000 points to give non scorers a (poor) score for the missing month/flight

If there is enough interest, then I'll run it...

Martyn

I'm sorry chaps - I really don't want to appear draconian - but I'm deleting posts which are just discussing, voting or supporting existing nominations. As I've said above we have the chat thread here for that and we're no where near voting yet!

Models nominations only here please, a model only has to be nominated once to be "in" so no need for multiple nominations.

Please remember, we have to keep track of this and last year we ended up with loads of nominations 30+. To keep track we have to keep the thread clear of anything other than a straight forward nomination. If you want to justify your nomination and explain why its so great - the chat thread is the place to do that!

Here we want: name, designer, where you can get it and a picture! That's all.

Thanks

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 18/09/2014 13:49:12

My nomination is Peter Miller's Miss Lizzy. Because:

• It's an uncomplicated traditional build.
  • A proven good flyer.
  • Suitable for conversion to electric
  • Would look stunning flying in a group
  • With it's 30s racer styling is great for some stylish colour schemes.
  • The plan is available and the original RCME Mag (Sept 2005) is often on ebay.

See this web site for build blog: **LINK**

David

I'm throwing this one in, mainly as an alternative to the typical plan build nominations.

My nomination will attract a degree of criticism from some of the more established modellers, but I believe that it is ideal for a mass build. It will attract a lot of interest and maximum participation, which is what the mass build is all about.

This may not be the cheapest model to make, but definitely represents good value for money as it will be well used after it has been built.

My nomination is the WOT4 - any flavour, apart from the ARTF.

dscn2615low.jpg

Edited By Gary Manuel on 19/09/2014 17:01:11

After some consideration of the requirements, I have 3 suggestions to make.

Beretta RCM&E June 2009 Foam build EDF.

Bristol Scout D RCM&E (no date but quite old). Scale biplane.

Whitman Tailwind RCM&E August 2010. Scale high wing monoplane.

All are about the right size and don't appear to be difficult builds.

These aren't particular favourites of mine, but seem to tick most of the boxes and each would be fun to build.

Kevinb.