Beer Theft, What shall i doooo

scott finnie

Posted by Fun Flyer on 13/01/2015 15:46:20:
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 13/01/2015 15:38:51:
Posted by Fun Flyer on 13/01/2015 15:22:45:

Scott, your last post is scary, that guy needs to be sorted out without delay. He has invaded your wife's privacy by photographing her without her permission and depending on the laws in your part of the world he may in fact have committed an offence by doing so.

Sadly his wife was in a public place and he was quite at liberty to take photographs as he pleases, in the UK that is the law, even a policeman has to have VERY good grounds to prevent photography

Their driveway is not a public place and his latest behaviour displays something more serious than a teenager's desire for free beer.

He is fully at liberty to take photos INTO a private place (and unless it is gated and habitually kept shut, it is debatable if it would be classed as a private place (which is different from private property which it certainly is)

I make no comments on his motives but certainly don't condone it

C'mon Guys, Why take a sledghammer to crack a nut. It is far better to allow Dad the oportunity to sort the problem out rather than upset him by involving 'elderly William' At the end of the day you have got to live there with your neighbour, sour relationships with neighbours can blight your life, trust me. In any event if Dad is unable to solve the problem you can fall back on 'official involvement' A phrase like "I thought I would let you sort your lad out before I involved Police" leaves no doubt as to what course of action you would initiate if he could not.

Video/photo evidence first, they I would mull over sending to police or go and speak to neighbours.

From my POV I had next doors sprog drive his dads car through the fence into the back of my shed years ago, you couldn't see it until you went into the shed so went un noticed for a few days. Wifey convinced me to talk to neighbours rather than phone police (did around £1000 worth of damage) so foolishly did. Mother was terribly appologetic up to the point I gave them the bill. Flat refused to pay and haven't spoke to me for 8 years. (wifey wouldn't let me go through small claims court, I really wished I did)

Ive decided to pop round to his house when his dad comes home. Normally around 6 and say I've had some items stolen. Maybe he's noticed his sons behaviour change but at least they will know that were feeling a tad stressed and worried.

Ken I know my wife said these solicitors are trouble. The last thing we want is another intruder. We where hoping for a fresh start but this has dented our homely feel for the moment. Shall see what his dad and mum says. I don't want sleepless nights especially if its to be my workshop

Scott

Don't suppose that anyone has considered that this boy might have behavioural problems? Maybe his parents don't want to broadcast any family issues? I fully accept that the chances are he's well on the road to criminality but don't assume the worst and certainly don't try any crackpot 'weedkiller' options.

As a society, we're too keen to point the finger and assume the worst.. If he is, indeed, just a thief in the making, let the police deal with it.

However, the police have a bad habit of looking after their own. My son was set upon by a gang which included a son of a policeman. Guess who was one of the few who didn't get charged?

Yeah Pat , my wife and I are both going to pop around to there house to raise our concerns. If not then shall let the law deal with it. We don't want to upset the new neighbours within days of moving in. Were hoping its a child being a child and not thinking correctly. Fingers crossed . His dad is home and were going around soon so will see what the outcome is.

Scott

Scott, If it were me I would be inclined to get some evidence by installing one of these yourself in the caravan. You don't know your neighbour and many people simply deny, deny, deny, when confronted about their 'precious' son 'It couldn't possibly be my son,' kind of reaction - which is why the son is behaving as he is - he knows he can get away with it as far as his parents are concerned. Secondly if the dad said it could not possibly be his son then if you did go to the police they would only have your word against the sons, - it was dark and you may have been mistaken, kind of argument. It is difficult to argue with video evidence however. Once you have the evidence gently talk to the parents. If they are in denial (despite the evidence ) then go to the police.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 13/01/2015 18:14:47

I agree with Piers. If the parents don't believe you, chances are the thieving will stop but you'll now have an unfriendly neighbour to get along with. How often do the thefts happen? Would it be worth waiting till you have evidence to confront the parents with? That way, if they still don't believe you and it gets nasty, you still have evidence to take to the police. Hope it all goes well but I'd certainly gather more evidence before any confrontation.

Ian.

wheeew well that was the most awkward thing i've had to do though the look on his dads face said it all! He didn't say much other than that he wont be having a birthday party since he will be grounded and that hes sincerely sorry for the grief his son has caused. He even shouted on his wife for his wallet to compensate me though i said it was ok. I explained that we had a bad experience in the past and has ensured us that it wont happen again. His son was meant to be staying with a friend tonight but his dads away to surprise visit him and take him home. I couldn't have asked for a better outcome, he said he will drop off a case of beer as a goodwill gesture! Best of all my wifes still there with his wife as they seem to get along, it will be a shock to the son to see my wife there i bet. The parent approach seems to have paid off. His dad shouting at his mum to send the mountain bike back to the shop too! Finally i can start to feel more comfortable and hopefully start constructing a simple workshop!

Thanks everyone for all the ideas, realistic and unrealistic were both very grateful!

Scott & Lorna

Also when i seen him crawling last night across his lawn its because his dad has wire around the edging where the rose bushes stand! its at a height thats difficult to climb over so he was having to crawl under. I mentioned the photos and he said his son has a great fondness of cars and planes(GREAT) . I'd hate to be the son now especially if hes drinking with friends just now. frown

Scott & Lorna. ps Soon we will have our own to deal with ahhhh not my decision....

Well done Scott, sounds like that kid's gonna be growing up a bit tonight.

Like you, I'd hate to be that kid right now. I'd hate to be the parent too, it's very difficult to judge this sort of thing and get the right outcome (i.e. for the kid to learn from it rather than rebel).

You watch, you'll be taking the lad flying before you know it. Stranger things have happened.

I'm still nervous , as Ken added its not the first time though our first encounter was horrifying hence why we eventually left our old apartment. My wife never felt the same again so i'm hoping after tonight its a new start and things will be better. Its a matter of time before he see's my aircraft moving back and forth and he's more than welcome to ask questions, have a shot of a Kyosho minium or similar ect The other neighbours all seem great too, its a simple hello in the morning ect A relaxed ,safe enviroment to start a family of our own!

Ken my wife and i still dont understand you're signature? Its baffled me for years. Is there a forum post that explains haha.

Anyways thank to all who have helped, I'd love to send a ale, stout or beer to all but cant guarantee the ingredients wink

Scott & Lorna

I've just noticed in the OP of the thread Ken has reminded us about that you might like to review your security procedures:

"i held onto the guy in front of me while i shouted to my fiancee to lock the bedroom door with the dog and not to open it"

Personally, I usually find a key is better for this purpose...

More seriously, I think you've gone about this correctly and it's encouraging that the parents were so supportive. We had some petty vandalism at our club, the perpetrators were found by the police and the parents came up with them and made them apologise during our annual Open Day. We accepted their apologies and one stayed for a couple of hours, talked to many of the members and turned out to be quite pleasant and polite.