Beer Theft, What shall i doooo

scott finnie

So recently moved house to a lovely quiet safe street. Detached and fenced all round , gates too the front of the drive and conifers hiding a caravan ive placed in the rear left of the garden! (MY soon to be workshop) . So far all i've been keeping in the caravan is a few wings and a heap load of strong ales, stouts and craft beer! Now its been windy lately so yes theres been the odd strange noises and i've been thinking thats normal until last night i opened a bottle of Hobgoblin and it was water! I called the brewer today to say im not sure why it was like that. they asked what bottle cap was on it and i said white, i was told they only use there own blue stamped caps so both where baffled. Well tonight i was arriving home and as i parked i heard a thud then a ruffling noise through the bushes. I shouted on my wife to hit the flood lights (new led) and then there was silence. I went upstairs and noticed a rather large strange animal crawling across the neighbours back garden in a white top and then placing a few items under a wheelbarrow!

Ive identified the little something as my neighbours son. He is around 15 years old and from my new neighbour coming round to greet us last week i know its his sons 16th on the 20th. I'm tempted with trip wires and pir flood lights everywhere or simply climbing through and retrieving my goods. Ive realised he's drinking them then filling them with water and using a home brew kit to re seal the bottle. I'm not sure if i should speak to parents since were so new to the street and dont want to create an atmosphere. I was going to remove all my bottles and replace them with water filled ones and a label saying i'm on to you "Whats you're favorite Scary Movie" But not sure of the best approach. I'm annoyed since i've lost 37 already which is over £100 worth . Any ideas?

Scott & Lorna

Advert

I would catch him red handed before doing anything. Phone the police and just hand him over whilst pressing chargers, just say you didn't realise he was your neighbours son. He deserves a trip down the nick yes you might get your beer back then if the parents feel guilty. You don't want to be the one that tells them there sons a thief let the police do it.

I certainly like the camera idea. I'll try get one tomorrow and fit it within the caravan . The only reason its not locked is it requires a new barrel hence why i got it so cheap. I'm happy i didnt put my good aircraft in there since this rugrat doesn't care. Hopefully he does get that trip to a cell on his 16th. I might not have been perfect when i was a child but i knew not to steal or face drastic consequences! I'm also aware his father works in the fiscal's office so it shall be interesting to see what punishment he gets. i will update once my camera system is installed.

Thanks for the guidance,

Scott & Lorna

if the parents seen like good people a quiet word with them may be the best cause of action if you are not after recompense but just want the incidences to stop. they maybe grateful for the chance to sort him out without police involvement (or am I being too optimistic)

It would be best if you can get some good camera footage from inside the caravan to prove your case. Just in case the decide to back there son if there is doubt.

He needs to go on to the police radar, you are suffering theft and as new to the area may not be aware of others having the same problem possibly from the same person. As kids we knew that if caught doing wrong or mischief we suffered the consequence. The local bobby sorted things then you suffered your parents retribution.

you either nab him-or move your stash of booze....how did he get in to the caravan?-if he broke in then its a crime committed as well as he shouldn't be on your property.....in the old days(where I come from)he would have had a clip of his Lug......now you cant do that - so see his parents..

ken Anderson...ne...1 sore lug dept.

To me the alarming thing is that he 'investigated' your property in the first place, I'm sure he didn't just divine that the beer was there. First get the video evidence. If his parents seem decent types then have a quiet word with them, if they're not or that doesn't stop the lad taking an interest in your property and trespassing, then involve the police.

A " quiet word" won't do any good! Get the police involved and get him the criminal record he deserves before he steals more from you or anyone else. Do the neighbourhood a favour and reveal this criminal.    Imagine what your wife will feel when alone in the house if he breaks into your house at night......

Edited By kc on 13/01/2015 11:32:01