Warbird Replicas Spitfire LF mk IXc

Ady Hayward

Can I be a bit boring and get some feedback on batteries chaps ? The Spitfire is limited to a smallish battery of around 3300 mah . Ive got a collection of zippy compacts which have served me well . They all look the same , but have different c ratings as they got upgraded . The 30c ones work ok , the 40c better and the 60c is considerably better than the first two . However , now HK has scampered back to China , we seem to be left with a lot of "badge motoring , looky likey , tonight ,Mathew I'm going to be Tina Turner ," unknowns. If anyone has any experience of a decent brand at reasonable money with 50-60c rating then please point in the right direction . 

I had thought about double A batteries from the pound shop , but Im only half way through the drop tank to house them in . 

23 minutes ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

Can I be a bit boring and get some feedback on batteries chaps ? The Spitfire is limited to a smallish battery of around 3300 mah . Ive got a collection of zippy compacts which have served me well . They all look the same , but have different c ratings as they got upgraded . The 30c ones work ok , the 40c better and the 60c is considerably better than the first two . However , now HK has scampered back to China , we seem to be left with a lot of "badge motoring , looky likey , tonight ,Mathew I'm going to be Tina Turner ," unknowns. If anyone has any experience of a decent brand at reasonable money with 50-60c rating then please point in the right direction . 

I had thought about double A batteries from the pound shop , but Im only half way through the drop tank to house them in . 

Have a look at the roaring top battery range on Amazon and see if they do what you want, excellent batteries and delvery next day if you or a friend have Amazon Prime. 

• Like 1

Amazon have become my go-to place for lipos, since Gliders never seem to have my favourite G-Power packs in stock. I've been impressed, so far, with the Zeee Power lipos, which are available on Amazon, free next day delivery on Prime, even on a Sunday, which is completely hassle free. Have tried their 50C 4s1p 2200mah and 3300mah packs, which are usually on offer in pairs and they are well made and deliver what I need.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Paul Johnson 4 said:

In case anyone on here is into panel lines especially when highlighting the line with white. Gel pens, I've found tend to be very hit and miss, but I have found this on amazon, white calligraphy ink that applies really well and once dry is waterproof.20230613_161758.thumb.jpg.1d6b22334a4d6cee7089aeeadc1ee3e8.jpg

I use them for many a model and different paints, it isn't easy to set it up, get the right mix and thickness of the paint, and when that's all done you need a steady hand to keep the right speed  to keep the line even,,,not for the faint-hearted,,,

Paul Johnson and I were discussing the realism of our typical 6lb warbirds and comparing them with the full size so beautifully displayed at Duxford (and other venues) .

We were also musing over the fact that people ,more use to flying sport models , might find them stodgy because of the extra weight of scale detail , retracts and perhaps, flaps . However , as we all know , the wonderful full size displays are based on keeping the momentum going and keeping energy in the aircraft .

When you watch the fighters climb out for their display sequence , despite all of the noise and drama , they actually leave the ground and continue at a very shallow angle and then disappear over the horizon . They are obviously gathering momentum and storing energy in the form of height and speed . 

The next time you see them (some minutes later ) they will come hurtling onto the stage either in a dive or in a low pass where the dive was performed "off stage " . This fully charged plane can then soar back up to great heights to repeat the performance and follow this swing like action throughout the display ,very much like a roller coaster , where the altitude energy is metered out during the ride and ends up "empty " at the bottom . 

What's the point of this pint sized physics lesson and general ramble ? Well , of course , I asked myself that ..

The reply was (from my other self ) this juicy little fact . 

A mk1 Spitfire weighs roughly 6000lb .  It has approximately 1000 horse power . 

Our models weigh rough 6lb and have approximately 1 horsepower .

Neat eh ?

Ps

My other self and myself are no longer speaking at present , so from me and myself , you should be fairly safe from further ramblings , for a bit . 

• Like 5

Richard have you become a they?

I have been flying my Brian Taylor 65" span 

P40 this week, careful balsa selection and skimpy paintwork brings it out at 6lb 12 oz 5s battery is 23 oz, to fly it at scale speed 1/4 to 1/2 throttle is the norm. It has air retracts,  not scale but straight back, very little wheel showing when up. Not sure what the motor is it has a label on stating 55 ce 700kv, I had it given. The plane would fly on a 4s I feel as it is overpowered as is, I will try it on a 4s next time out but will have to move the battery forward. 

20230612_112611.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

Paul Johnson and I were discussing the realism of our typical 6lb warbirds and comparing them with the full size so beautifully displayed at Duxford (and other venues) .

We were also musing over the fact that people ,more use to flying sport models , might find them stodgy because of the extra weight of scale detail , retracts and perhaps, flaps . However , as we all know , the wonderful full size displays are based on keeping the momentum going and keeping energy in the aircraft .

When you watch the fighters climb out for their display sequence , despite all of the noise and drama , they actually leave the ground and continue at a very shallow angle and then disappear over the horizon . They are obviously gathering momentum and storing energy in the form of height and speed . 

The next time you see them (some minutes later ) they will come hurtling onto the stage either in a dive or in a low pass where the dive was performed "off stage " . This fully charged plane can then soar back up to great heights to repeat the performance and follow this swing like action throughout the display ,very much like a roller coaster , where the altitude energy is metered out during the ride and ends up "empty " at the bottom . 

What's the point of this pint sized physics lesson and general ramble ? Well , of course , I asked myself that ..

Neat eh ?

Ps

My other self and myself are no longer speaking at present , so from me and myself , you should be fairly safe from further ramblings , for a bit . 

Two things.

First, you could not apply full power to the Spitfire for take off.  The torque effect meant that the aircraft would start hopping sideways so that limited the power you could use.  Full power could only really be applied, and then with care, once airborne and at a sufficient speed since at low speed application of 1,000 HP would overcome the aileron authority.

Second, I was speaking to a full size aerobatic pilot who flew from the airfield we use.  He had an Edge with 350 HP.  When I worked out the power loading he had just on 350 BHP/ton.  My F3A aircraft had 800 BHP/ton.  As soon as he went into the vertical, his airspeed started to drop off whereas my model would accelerate vertically.  Our models are almost always hugely more powerful than the full size so your comments about trading height for speed are very pertinent.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

Neat eh ?

Ps

The big thing for me is about completing the illusion. we put a lot of emphasis on the finish of the model, and rightly so. Approval of our peers, and our own satisfaction are important to us. But we can so easily shatter that illusion if we fly the model in a way that is only possible with a model. Even my little 42" spitfire looked really good if I flew big, sweeping lines and used the height/ speed exchange with some thought. The difference for us is that we can easily open the taps and ruin this illusion...

• Like 2

Eric , I see what you are saying there . Ive always been a "they " , not like the the modern "they or it " more in the sense that if you talk to yourself and answer back with different voices you are just a few sentences away from getting a free, long armed jacket , and a room without much of a view . 

I totally agree with all of Graham and Peters comments . Its very easy to over power our scale models , or equally bully them around in a way that break up a full sized aircraft or black out the pilot . It is all about maintaining the illusion . 

A good example at the other end is flying heavies like the Lancaster or B17 . Even a small one can look very realistic if flown in calm conditions , provided it has very light wing loading and can hang in there at something approaching scale speeds . Obviously we can thicken wing sections and perhaps pack in a little more wing area to help us out . 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

All,

After a break due to the family..  I am back to the bench and making the spitfire.  Wing is 90% done and the fuselage has started.  I am thinking of doing the battery hatch at the top.  Does anyone have any photos of how it works. Mostly thinking of how the cowl is cut.  

Thx

Jon

Edited by Jonathan S

20 hours ago, Jonathan S said:

All,

After a break due to the family..  I am back to the bench and making the spitfire.  Wing is 90% done and the fuselage has started.  I am thinking of doing the battery hatch at the top.  Does anyone have any photos of how it works. Mostly thinking of how the cowl is cut.  

Thx

Jon

These instructions are on teh WR website http://www.warbirdreplicas.co.uk/supportingfiles/1.28645SPITIXBROSTRUCTIONSv3.pdf

16 hours ago, Paul Johnson 4 said:

There was an amended sheet with the original manual that was in the last batch, this also had some extra parts in the kit to effect this mod. Earlier kits will not have these parts included.

The manual on the website does not have these instructions

I'm always very impressed by someone who knows how to effectively use effect instead of affect. Hat tip.

• Like 2