Wind always drops.

Tim Lewton

Oh don't I know that feeling! The number of times I've got up, sniffed the air, decided the weather forecast was spot on - windy/raining or both. So I gallantly say to Mrs BEB "Would you like to go out somewhere nice together today dear" - thinking here's a chance to get a few brownie points at no real cost.

Of course as soon as I get in car with Mrs BEB to start on our expedition,....the wind drops, the sun comes out from behind the clouds and I just have to grin and bear it! That is until Mrs BEB says "I'm surprised we're going out today, such a nice day I'd have thought you would want to go flying? Nice though isn't it". I swear she knows!

BEB

PS I have to be charitable today its her 29th wedding anniversary - mine too coincidentally!

Just a beginner, BEB We celebrated our 48th last March and SWMBO never turned a hair today at Cosford when I tentativley mentioned I fancied a new battery charger - a snip at £209 with the 5% show discount. I do wonder though why she's always so keen to pack me off flying for the day.

Excellent set up at Cosford BTW. After the reports of last year's fiasco I was dubious about going but I am delighted to have my doubts come to nought. A bit windy (it moderated but didn't drop all that much) but after early rain the sun came out and there was some excellent flying and a good trade presence.

Geoff

If it's as the day approaches sunset, say 1900 onwards at the moment in the UK, the wind speed tends to decrease because at night the surface of the Earth cools much more rapidly than does the air above the surface. This cooling difference means the Earth becomes colder than the air above it and air in close contact with the ground at a height of less than 300ft becomes colder than the air above it. This gives rise to a temperature inversion and it that reduces the mixing that occurs between different vertical layers of the atmosphere. Once the inversion is setup (before sunset) the wind speed drops. When flying before sunset, it is not unusual to notice much higher wind speeds when the aircraft altitude goes over ~ 300ft.

Two of us finally got fed up with not flying on Sunday. Of we went in a wind gusting to almost 20 mph.

One of us had a helicopter and I took one of my very fast semil scale racers.

WE had a great afternoon. and reminded ourselves that one can fly in wind with the right model.

In that past I have noticed that once one says "Today is too windy" the next time the wind will be slightly less but it is "Still too windy" and so it goes on until one is waiting for really calm weather.

dsc00038.jpg

Like you Pete, my pass out is only for Sundays having a young family and being a sad individual I keep a rough log, as I have so many planes I like to keep track of what gets the most airtime. For over a year the average wind speed is 15-20mph!!...

You hit the nail on the head with "the right model"...I see so many, BNF, lightweight ARTF's, which are great in benign conditions, doable but not enjoyable in a wind, and wonder why it appears that 90% of peoples hangars nowadays consist of these types, given our climatic nuances, suppose many can fly in the evenings.

I have flown, my hotliner, electic wings, and my little high wind loaded 25 size nitro's more in the last few years, and my lightweight 3D machines have rarely been out. Not that I cant fly them in a wind, but it tends to not be as enjoyable and more of proving a point, where as the other models come into their own when there is a breeze.

Still I have taught my 6 year old how to fly a stunt kite!!, this year!!yes

I agree, Any airtime is good, and if we all made excuses for too windy, wind in wrong direction, too sunny, too hot, too cold etc, no one would fly in the UK!!..get out there, get up, have fun

Extra Slim

Actually I am lucky, I can fly any time that I want but I like to fly with at least one other person so the occasional weekday afternoon but for a really nice social flying session Sundays are best.

Funny thing, I keep forgetting, I actually have a stunt kite stored in the box.

Oicture in the post above shows the model that I was flying yesterday.

I don't know about best for windy conditions Julian but Sunday was steady breeze(wind) with gusts no idea of speed. My new Radian 2 metre foam glider handled the wind very well and I had 2 good flights of 15 - 20 min. Also flew a foamy Piper Cub at 3 times the weight which was blown all over the place.

John

Nice model Pete, V similar to my little edge. Get your kite out...mine is one of those parachute types, pretty small and about £3 from a well known german supermarket a year of so ago, rolls up into a tiny pouch but great fun. A lot more relaxing than a carbon framed triangular one which tends to whoosh about the sky sending people scattering. We played knock the cap off last week with it!!!

Julian, in terms of what flies best in a breeze. Well I could say that my 14oz foam delta flies the best in that the response is instant and stall is non existent, but it gets knocked by the wind constantly, but the total control means it rarely ends in tears. BUT it isn't very enjoyable. I find models with heavier wing loading tend to handle the breeze much better in terms of getting knocked around, plus a thinner wing profile like my hotliner.

My little edge has a thin wing section and is probably about 20-22oz/sq ft wing loading. The hotliner wing is like a razor blade and it isn't light!!.

I'm sure others can chip in with what models they consider for windier days, they are just mine.

Happy anniversary BEB. I am close to my first anniversary now smiley - well - I had a 25th a few years before crook

About the wind: didn't drop... windy it was on Saturday, but you can either stay at home or go out and fight the wind.... Had my boy over for some flying, so no excuse... My e-flight Extra was bouncing about like an indoor foamy - and who knows this plane will agree that it is not too light, especially on 4C4000 batteries. Took me 4 trials at the approach - all in one piece. But after 2 flights I switched my activity from flying to watching the others

fb_img_1437401441000.jpg

My boy was cheating - flying a TR 550 and a TR 600 nitro he didn't feel the wind much. But he had also his exciting moment - the OS55 in the 600 decided that the set-up was to lean and stalled after some 5 min flight - but the young guys have the right reaction - brought it home by auto rotation - not a scratch.

VA

fb_img_1437401460891.jpg

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 20/07/2015 15:27:17

talking of kites, i used a two line stunt kite to exersize a two year old labradorwink the kite had a fifty foot tail on it, to which i tied a boneo dog biscuit. this was heavy enough to make the tail hang lowand side swiping the kite you could keep the biscuit two feet off the ground with the dog in hot pursuit. ten minuites was enough to tire the dog and then let him rest for 30 mins, another ten mins and then he wanted to go homewink, only bind was winding in the lines and tailfrown