top sport models of all time

Phil 9

I am a sport model flyer but this category spans a wide variety of models. Sometimes it is so general it is not mentioned. But I would like to hear your nominations for top sports model. The Wot 4 gets a lot of mentions on the forum and so does the Acro Wot. My nomination would be a Great planes Escapade 61 a somewhat overlooked model. What other would be in your top 10 and why

Advert

Defining sport will help define the model.

My wot 4 classic is the model I turn to to try anything new and as a winter hack, my j 60 when it's fine weather but if I only had to pick one plane then it would have to be flair's version of the astro hog. I have a kit of one in the loft that is now a sig 1/5th cub away from being built. So much can be learned from this model, it doesn't need overpowering as, provided the wings are built straight, they are what allows it to be what it is.

Obviously there are many more but that model sticks in my mind as it was a victim of the forgot to pull the aerial up in the days of 35 meg.

Ummmm...personal preference and interpretation of "sport"...All good suggestions so far...so my two penneth on top on what has already been mentioned.

1) Fliton Inspire 60 - sport/3D and pattern

2) Capiche 50, 140

3) Stiks (any - but Ultra stick fav)

4) Sigma signs freestyle - cottage industry made - superb flyers

5) Gangster 52 & 63

6) Hots

7) Panic

Posted by Braddock, VC on 10/08/2015 13:37:33:

Defining sport will help define the model.

I guess that is the tricky part. It is such a general term it is normally used to describe a model that does not fit easily into another category.

But I guess my meaning is a model that has a more lively performance envelope than a basic trainer (that probably means the Junior 60 is out). easy to put together at the field and once built does not need a lot of maintenance

Gliders:
Fossy's Phase-6
How far back are we going? Veron Impala?
The Cybernetics 'Zenith' deserves an honorary mention as the first true purpose designed kipper.

But for powered models, if we can stretch back to 1965 the top sport model of all time has to be Eric Clutton's Sharkface!

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 10/08/2015 15:14:16

Two really..........Acrowot and Wot 4. Absolute guarantee that at least a couple will be in every club and that's been the case since twenty - thirty years ago. Yet another lease of life with the foamy versions will keep them current for another couple of decades at least.

For sheer ubiquity, I can't think of anything else that comes close.