As the Winter building Season Begins.........

As its time to get in the shed and start building I was wondering who is planning on starting a new project from scratch, be it plan or kit build....Or is it mostly ARTF builds for the new season?

Or again is it rekindling old unfinished scale projects that have been gathering Dust at the back of the shed.

Personally ive a 1/4 D7 that's still unfinished and a DB 77inch Pup......perhaps I shouldn't have started the Albatros either.

Advert

Just started my first plan build face 3 it's a Dan Santich original Hots...I had one dad built when I was about 11 in the early 80's...and I remember it very fondly as it taught me a lot and was great fun...it is a risk to go back in time, but with the English weather, I wanted a single piece, fly in anything, tear about machine, and nitro...hope it's as good as I remember...if I can build it!! blush

I've tidied and reorganised my workshop, completed a mammoth clear out and board-out of my loft which has earned me quite a few brownie points plus freed up more workshop space as I've shifted some of the long term "refurbishments" into there so once I'm home from holiday (even more brownie points) in (at the moment) a rather damp Italy, I hope to get my teeth into my Tempest plan build.

I now have a very nice nice cowling (see **LINK** for my tale of woe) courtesy of Chris Benoy of Carbon Copy, who made me a substantial and beautifully finished "proper" glass fibre moulding from my glorified yoghurt pot at a price that I really couldn't refuse!
Earlier in the year, I started the build rather unconventionally with the undercarriage legs! As many here will know, they are a rather unconventional parallel leg design which seemed suitably interesting to model, so as I'm lucky enough to own a lathe and small milling machine, I set about hacking some ali into suitable shapes. I also got as far as building the structure of the centre section where they mount so I have few excuses not to carry on on my return...

This winter I've promised myself I'll finish the luscombe silvaire, the Blohm and Voss P170 and convert my E-Pioneer to a twin so I can fit an FPV system into her with the camera in the nose where the original motor lived quite a challenge when work rears it's ugly head as things are manic there for the foreseeable future so probably no mass build for me this year

Posted by Jack Banner on 12/10/2015 21:29:43:

I have a list as long as my arm but really want to finish repairing Amy (Derek Woodward) and then I can start one of:

Crescent Bullet (to replace the one i Killed a few months ago)

Contact 140

38cc GeeBee Y

Cambria FW190 Funfighter

Mass build?

plenty to keep me going

Hah!

I only have one FW190 left.

Daren.

1) Keith Humber Tow Rag (club build underway)

2) Wiggo (but put to one side while Towrag is built)

3) Chris Williams ASK 11, next to go on building board at home

4) Pat Teakle Vega (unstarted)

5) Mike Trew Fauvette (only had the plans for over 25 years................)

Plus finish off the CAP Jungmeister

Should keep me going

Staudcher, Thunder Tiger, nearly there, 2 weeks to first flight should do it. Saito 115

Zlin, Great Planes, electric

Chipmunk, scratch still going, as per Danny Fenton, Laser, probably another 2 years, (at least)!

Mick Reeves Focke Wulf, Probably a Saito

Supermarine Spiteful scratch

Followed by a massive dream list. Probably retire next year so that may help a bit!!!mmmmmm

Graeme

I've finally got myself motivated to start covering the Maher's Thunderbird, but I'm still dithering over the scheme. The base pale tangerine is going on, but blue or black for the trim? Then I need some stickers, 'Chunderbird' in a nice outlined script and a few sponsor type decals? Race number 3 (Max Biaggi/Joey Dunlop) 22 (Sam Lowes) or 38 (Brad Smith) - too many decisions disgust

I'm spoiled for choice for choice for a winter project - Sig EAA Biplane, Pica Jungmeister, TopFlite Corsair or Sea Fury, David Oxilia's DirtyBird 40, South York Model's Extra 230?

I've got a Contact 140, too but it hasn't flown for years - partly because it's now just a bare airframe It's a Dave Smith Models design sold with a foam wing and partly ready built fusleage. I got mine from a Sandown show and flew it on an OS46FX both with a standard exhaust a a JE Purple pipe. It had a mid air when there were only 2 of us flying which wrecked the wing but I was able to get a new one from DSM.

Bob C: I have a Maher's Thunderbird, too I got it as an ARTF some years ago. I've flown it a lot but not so much recently and it could do with a bit of refurbishment and recovering as it's getting slightly tatty. It flies well on a Zenoah 26.

Winter projects?

I really should get on with my scale Thames barge. The hull is built. I just need to make the masts and sails (not a quick job), cast the dummy keel weight once I know the final weight to get the displacement right. The there's making dummy sail winches and other scale details.

I also bought a Dennis Bryant SE5a drawing and CNC cut ribs, fuselage former etc on eBay. Finally get my DB Tiger Moth in the air. I also have a Percival Mew Gull kit gathering dust in the loft. However, what I really need is a few gallons of enthusiasm which seem to be sadly lacking these days.

Geoff

I have sworn to finish all projects, half builts, restorations before anything new is started. Am in the midst of sorting a Svenson quarter scale Stampe, unwisely purchased as an abandoned build/project on E bay. It has 4 plug in wing halves. The past 10 days have been spent correcting their incidence angles, all were different, and all wrong. It started as a purchase covered in Solartex, and I was going to use it as a rough hack. The problems have caused me to strip it to bare airframe, so as it is now naked, I might as well do a slow proper job on it, as the thing is very close to scale, and will, I hope make a good looker and flyer, so that will sort out the winter months. I reiterate that if anyone catches me buying E bay projects, I will gladly pay for the bullet used to put me out of my misery.