Winter Flying

Dean  Hunter

Hi All Today (Sunday) is the first reasonable day for flying for 3 weeks in my part of the world. Except that it is cold seriously cold. The inevitable problem of keeping hands warm? I have read articles in the press re gloves and transmitter bags. Despite them both getting positive write ups I do not see many (if any) flyers using the? Has anybody got any thoughts or real practical experience of this problem and a solution?

To date I've used fingerless gloves whilst actually prepping and flying, with larger gloves over the top of those in between flights.

Never used a transmitter bag / muff / whatever they are called, would be interested in how good they are

I've heard good reports of nitrile gloves developed for the angling fraternity being good at keeping the worst of the cold out, whilst still being thin enough to retain a good level of touch and feel. Would be interested to hear if anyone's tried those

I use a TX bag too , it's great and really helps. You became apparently get a lipo powered warmer for it but I've never felt the need.

Also my wife go me a thermal/waterproof one suit for Christmas last year , this has been a real revaluation. I wore it today for the first time this year and whilst others at he field shivered I was honestly a bit too warm at times. It gives the added bonus of only having to drive in joggers & a long sleeve t shirt.

Posted by Chris Barlow on 22/11/2015 14:35:59:

I use a TX Mitt like this one but in black. I like to feel the sticks and gloves & numb thumbs just don't work properly!

I agree, you can't beat Transmitts! I ride a motorcycle all year round and use similar mitts - they are so warm I can wear summer glover (for protection) all year round.

Edited By Rich2 on 22/11/2015 20:07:43

I would never have considered buying a transmitter mitt,

but thanks to my poetic Donny witt,

Beth sent me one in a parcel through the post.,

and today my hands were as warm as toastcheeky

Tried them today because my thumbs felt like they were falling off after the first couple of 10 minute flights.

I fly with a neck strap and the mitts don't have provision for attaching the strap through the clear front.

All I did was hung the tranny round my neck, put the mitt on my tranny with the strap through the big hole at the bottom. I made no attempt to close the velcro. Holding the tranny / mitt against my body kept the wind out. It felt a bit odd at first but I got used to it after a couple of minutes. Much better than cold thumbs, though I'm sure there are better options out there as suggested above.

I have a TransMitt (somewhere...) that I rarely use. I don't like the "closed-in" feeling, but others seem to have no problem!

What I do use are various gloves. I always used to laugh at fingerless gloves thinking they were fairly pointless. But then I got a pair (just cheap ones, about a quid from a market stall) and realised they do actually work quite well.

Last year I bought a pair of gloves that are aimed at the fishing/shooting market. These have the tips of the thumb and first finger missing and I wear them on top of the other fingerless gloves. My fingers still felt a bit chilly after 8 minutes flying this afternoon, but I wouldn't have been able to fly more than two or three minutes without them. OK, just found them on Amazon.