We're always hearing (endlessly it seems) about the dangers posed by the ready availability of small "drones" - read multirotors - that are in reality little more than toys. But how about this.

A Wots Wot - purchasable form Tescos - that's right a fully fledged acrobatic model that weighs in at around 7lbs - from your friendly neighbourhood food supermarket!

Wait it gets better! Read the advertising blurb, which contains such precious gems as:

"Not suitable for children under 36 months" You don't say! So 37 months is fine then?

"Manoeuvres:Forward, Backward, Left, Right and Stop" The second and the last one should be fun to see! Also, they are selling themselves short here as it doesn't mention that the Wots Wot can do the manoeuvres upside down as well! Oh, and sideways - and all points in between - and probably will in the hands of the totally inexperienced.

"Flying any model aircraft requires some degree of care and skill" Oh yeah, really?

"We recommend you read the manufacturers instructions and prepare for your first flight" Better read them really carefully then!

And my personal favourite:

"Your model will have a warranty but this will not cover damage to propellers, wings, fuselage, tail or any other part sustained due to pilot error or loss of transmitter signal. In simple terms, if you crash it, you will be responsible for the repair!!" I bet! And I wonder who will be responsible for any ensuing injury or damage to property?

Its bad enough that people with absolutely no previous experience can buy totally unsuitable models off ebay - but frankly there is little that can be done about that. But to see a major high street retailler engage in this is really inapproapriate and in my opinion irresponsible. OK, they are in effect just acting as a on-line "shop window" for Parkers - but that is a very subtle point. To anyone casually looking at this, Tescos are selling it. You even get Club Card points!

Now I don't know about you - but if any of the "target market" were to every manage to get this working I would think that is an aweful lot more dangerous than any 200mm multi-rotor to both its owners and any poor soul who happened to be around when they try to fly it.

Buy now while stocks last! Merry Christmas!

BEB

I imagine most people browsing Tesco for a present won't be won over by a 143 quid ARTF, so I don't think we've got much to worry about just yet, although I get your concern. It says for ages 14 and above. I imagine the 36 months bit is something loads of things have on as standard. My gut feeling is that if anyone does by one on a whim and has no experience, they'll be put off by the fact that it arrives without a 'remote control' (as they'll no doubt refer to it) or anything to get it flying, so it'll probably lead to Parkers dealing with a few returns...

I also suspect that you don't need to go through much accreditation to sell through Tesco, just an online form that no-one looks at, so not sure what anyone can do, unless we start licencing people to sell planes...

Edited By Simon B on 13/12/2015 17:01:56

Someone who has already bought one could write a review on the Tesco website. Say something useful like you need to be insured, need an instructor or to be very experienced on other models before this one, needs an engine and radio gear etc.

Posted by Simon B on 13/12/2015 17:25:46:
There's a part of me that likes the idea of clubcard points on my model purchases. I use them to pay for Virgin Airmiles, so any extra ways of collecting them while buying stuff i'd already buy is fine by me

It occurred to me that I could cash in points towards one but it turns out I've used up all my points!

COR! at last I'll be able to use the "double points on any aircraft purchase" voucher that's been cluttering up my pocket for weeksfrown

Anyway nobody is going to buy a PoS plane for 142 quid when they can buy a ready-to-fly drone WITH A CAMERA for 99 quid so I wouldn't worry about it!

I find it hard to get as excited as some seem to.

If the cost was lower, I would be interested,

I have never been totally wedded to the idea only model shops should sell modelling stuff.

E-Bay has been selling modelling stuff for yonks, has there been any more instances of unsatisfactory sales being made that the LMS manages? On that basis i expect Tesco to be much the same. At the end of the day I cannot see Tesco selling enough items to maintain their interest. If they do i would suggest we start considering why they have been successful when the trade sees problems in remaining viable.

The fact that Tescos are selling it doesn't worry me at all but their product description is alarming at best, if not misleading.

I feel sorry for any kids that might get this for Christmas only to find out it doesn't work because it needs another couple of hundred quids worth of gear. Worse would be the kids and adults that do manage to build it and go out flying on the patch of grass at the end of the road on their housing estate or try to take off down their cul-de-sac.

Seems very irresponsible of Tesco's not to include all the information required.

My first reaction was to congratulate a model shop for making the effort to engage with Tesco, to come up with another outlet for modelling products.

Unfortunately i seem to have recollections we have been here before, with the same modelling retailer, which it is not actually a modelling retailer not as most of us think of one,i could be wrong, I think they sell bikes, somewhere close to Bolton town centre. I am curious, are they a model shop as most of us think of one?

The idea that there are only some ways of selling models I find boring, I would let any one sell modelling stuff, but baulk at the thought that they pretend to be a model shop, rather than a retail outlet that will sell anything that will turn a profit.

A bit selective with the excerpts from the ad, they did say

"Please Note: If you have not flown an RC model before you will need to learn. Flying any model aircraft requires some degree of care and skill, even the simplest 2 or 3 channel. We recommend you read the manufacturers instructions and prepare for your first flight. There are many useful guides to learning to fly RC aircraft and if you are still unsure help will be readily available at your local club. We recommend a range test before you fly. Your model will have a warranty but this will not cover damage to propellers, wings, fuselage, tail or any other part sustained due to pilot error or loss of transmitter signal. In simple terms, if you crash it, you will be responsible for the repair!!
Read more at http://www.tesco.com/direct/ripmax-chris-foss-wots-wot-artf-biplane/423-9556.prd#iTBub0wdgJR3BhXM.99"

But product specifications are a bit lacking

I've posted a review noting it's only suitable for experienced aeromodellers flying at a suitable site, we'll see if it gets posted

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 13/12/2015 20:17:43

You really think that is helpful advice to the general public Frank and fully representative of the suitability of this model for beginners? I don't.

Yes - it is a shop selling through Tescos - but as I pointed out that is very subtle, just a very small logo in a corner. To someone, with more money than sense, browsing for a present for junior this is sold by Tescos, so it must be "alright", yes?

Erf is right - I would not describe Parkers as a "model shop" - they are a sort of Halfords that sells a few models as bits and pieces.

BEB

The only solution I see is writing to Ripmax and letting them know your concerns. They are the distributer and could stop supplying the shop. The extreme solution otherwise is that we call for licencing of model shops (unlikely). Otherwise there seems little we can do about this.

Two sentences about getting some tuition and learning at your local club.....didn't say what type of club! Could have been a full size aeroplane club or the local pony club for the uninitiated. Oh, and no mention of the BMfa...great opportunity missed there! Well done Rip (them off) max.

Edited By cymaz on 13/12/2015 20:57:48

Buying direct from Tesco cost about £15 than buying from Parkers of Bolton, where the stock is held. Anyone been in the shop in Bolton?

Probably one of those shops that sells anything to anyone just to make a sale? Unless anyone knows differently...

Edited By Paul Marsh on 13/12/2015 21:24:33